Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version 99 Likes Search this Thread
08-23-2008, 12:20 PM   #106

Photos: Gallery
Some improvements to the K10D/etc. system I would like to see:

1. A useful battery level indicator. (Not just "full"-"nearly empty"-"oops, flat.")
2. Change the cheap "knocky" buttons on the right-hand side to the quieter ones like on the left.
3. Do away with the D-pad. Use a stubby, recessed analogue stick instead.
4. An instant white balance button. (I'm amazed it's not there already.)
5. Make the dust reduction silent, and work better.
6. New battery grip with thicker base grip (more like the Sony A700 one) and multi-function inserts for Li-ion / AA cells / wireless / accessories etc. (make it more worth forking out the money for!)
7. More cross-type AF sensors, quicker AF motor.
8. Chunkier front and back dials (More like Nikon ones.)

Most of those seem like inexpensive improvements. Not much to ask, really... :3
I wouldn't want a new model in this range to become too expensive.

It would be nice to see a full-frame Pentax DSLR realeased, simply because it would have a proper-size viewfinder. I find it much harder to manual-focus and generally see much fine detail in an APS-C sized viewfinder, especially as I wear spectacles and the diopter adjustment is useless for my bad "myopic macro" eyes.
And don't get me started about 4/3 cameras - their VFs are unbearably small!
Does anyone know if the Pentax viewfinder loupe is any good for spectacle users?

08-24-2008, 09:10 AM   #107
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
My wishlist:
1) I'd pay good bucks for a DA* 135-400 f4 lens as many have suggested.
2) At the other end, I would like to see the 11-16 f2.8 ...preferabley in a DA* series.
3) My only other request is a 60-120 true macro zoom, much like Nikons 70-180 of old.

Oh yes, and stay with the 16X24 sensor, but a true pro grade body along the lines of the D300 would be nice.

Mike.
08-24-2008, 09:19 AM   #108
Veteran Member

I never return to this thread because it is so long.....

But I cant resist this one, even if it is already spoken:

I don't know much about the new Nikon D700, but I hear that it is something like a not-so-beefy/beginners 35mm(FF) cam....

...and I thought, that would be the PERFECT first FF cam for Pentax. Not the D700, but there is a cam that many Pentax owners here ask for: the K1000D

I have heard people here ask for a very simplified digital version of the K1000, but I dont know if anyone has asked for a 35mm format of the K1000D. Shouldn't it be full frame?

8)

...but alas, aren't we betting on a FF sensor next month?
08-24-2008, 09:50 PM   #109
Forum Member

my thoughts

better use of batteries, use rechargable cv-3 to last longer. waterproof body. faster processor to save to faster class 6 cards. less noise at higher ISO speeds. a full frame sensor. the APS-C is getting old, a basic consumer @ 10 MPs is in point and shoot models under $200, how hard can it be to have for a DSLR.

09-09-2008, 04:36 PM   #110

Hmmm. For the nay sayers that say you can't have SR with Full Frame!!!!!!!!

Sony A900
"Sensor-shift image stabilization (the first full-frame camera to have this feature) offers 2.5 - 4 stops of usable shutter speed"
http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3793

Apparently you can...

PK
09-09-2008, 07:37 PM   #111

QuoteOriginally posted by Peacekeeper Quote
Hmmm. For the nay sayers that say you can't have SR with Full Frame!!!!!!!!

Sony A900
"Sensor-shift image stabilization (the first full-frame camera to have this feature) offers 2.5 - 4 stops of usable shutter speed"
http://www.dcresource.com/news/newsitem.php?id=3793

Apparently you can...

PK
Yeah, I told you so
09-10-2008, 03:11 PM   #112

Dear Pentax

Besides the many good ideas already posted, I would like Pentax to continue to make a nice beefy DSLR for my big hands. They can also make a smaller DSLR for people with more normal sized or even girlie hands.

How about a nice upscale digicam with capabilities similiar to the Canon Powershot G9? And since it will be Pentax, they can incorporate all of the durability my K10d has as well. I would buy one to carry every day.

09-23-2008, 02:56 PM   #113
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

About bracketing.

Why not extend the bracketing mode to
1. Color Temperature
2. Flash intensity
3. AF front and/or back
4. Aperture

And please add an automatic turn off, to not always underexpose the next shot...

Thank you Mr Pentax !
09-23-2008, 06:30 PM   #114
Pentaxian

Sorry if it has been mentioned, but how about:

A sensor/viewfinder alignment system? It think my K20D leans more than my K100D. Very disappointing.

Last edited by SpecialK; 01-27-2009 at 09:38 PM.
09-27-2008, 04:36 AM   #115
Pentaxian

Make Great Hardware Greater by (cheap) Software

Dear Pentax,
(I hope you are listening)

please be smart and let some cost effective software moves work for you to better sell your fine hardware:

1. Make the source code for "Remote Assistance" open source. Or at least publish the API so that one could reprogram its functionality.

There is a whole army of programmers just waiting to create great applications for your cameras for free. Applications include:

* Astrophotography automation
* timed shots (of flowers opening, etc.)
* HDR automation (use the laptop to check shots on the spot)
* bracketing of all sorts (flash intensity, focus, aperture, shutter, what not)
* <your application here>

Having such applications (free software developed by an open source community) around would increase the value of Pentax equipment without requiring Pentax to invest a single cent.

2. Make firmware improvements available to older models

Improvements, such as better RAW->JPEG conversion, could be made available to older models by corresponding firmware upgrades. By having the right "product line" software development in place, this would hardly cost anything but keep customers happy and most of all loyal. Happy customers tell other people about how much better their company treats them then Canikon and this will be good for your sales.

You may think my suggestions only concern a tiny geek market but if you can create an enthusiastic geek market, this momentum may well spill over into a bigger customer base. Perhaps, if only it is currently still a majority of geeks running the internet and the latter is often used to make buying decisions.

3. Allow user plugins for in-camera software

I'm not loony enough to believe that an open source firmware could became a reality but consider to give users some space to play to implement some functionality on their own. This could range from simple skin changes (GUI adaptations), over simple button reprogramming, over custom RAW->JPEG converters, to automation features (new bracketing modes).

For sure, not everyone would be in a position to contribute the features outlined above, but some programmers will happily spent hours and hours and hours, while listening to requests by non-programmers, to increase the attractiveness of your products. Their motives can be immaterial to you.

The Linux phenomenon shows the power of using the enthusiasm of talented software developers. You can always play it safe and tell customers that third party developments are not quality controlled by Pentax and advise them to use them at their own risk, while you are secretly rubbing your hands in joy over the surplus value generated for free.

In summary, use the (open source) force, Pentax!

P.S.: Invest a few bucks and make the interface of PhotoLaboratory less demanding on screen real estate. Why invite negative comments about a software that is otherwise very capable? BTW, why isn't the "field of view" field in the "lens correction" dialog automatically filled on the basis of EXIF data?
09-28-2008, 02:20 AM   #116
Veteran Member

I think it'd be usefull to be able to select a square masque mode for the viewfindee that would blank a portion of the left and right side so you could compose easily for square format photos and it could then only capture those pixels making post production much easier.

Its a bit harder to take perfectly composed photos when the viewfinder is a rectangle not a square..

What does everyone think?

I also really want a movie move some form of hd compressed into .mp4 or something would be good (needs sound though!). People would then buy pentax cameras just for movie making too! Bringing in cash for pentax and help raise more awareness.

I think pentax need to think more carefully for the next proish level camera as the k20d have many good things but they just wern't finished

i.e:
- liveview no live histograms etc or useful focus capability
- 21fps mode this could have easily been made into a movie mode which would have brought consumers in but instead people have to fiddle to make movies which is a pain

It seems the limited len's are too small for sdm so I would like to see the limited lens series weather sealed please think of us pros out there in the field with our weather sealed cameras we want the lens's to match just to be safe
09-28-2008, 04:07 AM   #117
Pentaxian

Backward Compatibility & Marketing

Dear Pentax,

if I view the landscape correctly, Pentax needs to occupy a niche from which to survive and grow from.

I further assume that the K-mount backward compatibility is one of the company's greatest trump card. Even though the availability of a lot of classic and affordable glass to Pentaxians means that they are not as much forced to buy new Pentax lens products, I'm sure that sooner or later they will want to have some of the more modern (and in many aspects better) lenses too.

Therefore the decision to cripple the KAF mount on the K100D/K10D/K20D by omitting the aperture coupler must be considered to be questionable. While I applaud that fact that you can still use manual lenses with an extra press of a button, it'll be nice if that additional button press wasn't necessary.

I believe that either all, or all but the most basic Pentax DSLRs should have the aperture coupler OR that there should be a choice for the customer. There could be a normal model without coupler and a special model with the coupler. The latter could be distinguished by other features as well and if its just something cosmetic.

Make the special model a bit more expensive than need be and use the margin to reduce the price on the normal model. Then everyone's a winner. You only do not have the full backward compatibility if you didn't want it. And if you want it, Pentax provides you with the possibility to get it.

Many people intending to enter the DSLR market will ask their friends about which model to chose. The respective answer could be "Ask Terry, he is really serious and has myriads of lenses" and the reason why Terry has so many lenses is because he is a Pentaxian and can a) afford them and b) use them optimally on his new DSLR.

BTW, is it really true that Pentax has run an advert promoting Pentax cameras as good for shooting sports? That'll be really hilarious because if there is one thing the Pentax line doesn't excel in, it is speed. I can't help but imagine a customer walking into the shop saying "I want a Pentax because it is good for shooting sports" with the shop staff's immediate reaction being to fire away with two Canikons left and right of the customer's head until the customer asks whether you can shoot a movie with them.

I think Pentax should capitalise on one of its greatest assets and that means that an uncrippled K-mount should be available at least as an option. Pentax's natural niche appears to be to be more affordable with an emphasis of classic photography. The availability of a coupler could allow new photographer's to enter an affordable hobby (with old and used lenses used in an uncompromised way) and then later grow, buying new lenses as well.

Imagine how reviewer's like Shawn Barnett would rave about an uncrippled KAF mount. Reading positive reviews from enthusiast like him (-> Pentax K100D Digital Camera - Full Review - The Imaging Resource!) helped me to decide for a Pentax product.
09-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #118
Inactive Account

[QUOTE=MJB DIGITAL;240931]OK I'll join. 8)

When you make the K1D or whatever it is going to be that is an FF cam, either give us an AF button that is easily accessible from both portrait and landscape orientations or make two AF buttons for use in their own respective shooting orientation.

Well said MJB!
This is something I've often wished for myself.
My 20+ year old Minolta had it. Granted, the "portrait" shutter release was on the motor-drive, but it WAS there none the less.

A lot easier to take shots that way as opposed to twisting your arm over your head!!
(like i'm doing in my profile shot!!)
09-28-2008, 03:15 PM   #119
Veteran Member

Photos: Gallery | Albums
Some Pentax zooms are pretty good...

QuoteOriginally posted by WMBP Quote
Well, Zeiss makes a fair number of excellent primes for the k-mount but they're very pricey. :-(

I have the Pentax FA 35 f/2 AL. I like it (see attached photo). But to tell the truth, aside from the fact that the 35 is one stop faster, I'm not sure it's any better than the 35mm spot on the Pentax 16-45 f/4.

Will
Have to agree. I've taken every kind of comparison shot I can think of with a 28-105 f/3.2-4.5 @ 50mm vs. the FA 50 f/1.4. The prime has more latitude in low light and is a bit easier to manually focus , but outdoors in "typical" daylight? You'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the 28-105 and the prime at a mid-range like f/5.6 @ 350.
FHPhotographer
09-30-2008, 02:50 PM   #120
Inactive Account

Raw-Jpeg-Button

Dear Pentax,

i don't know if someone from Pentax is really reading this, but i still try:

I love my K20D, but I want one change which can accomplished in firmware. The raw-jpeg-button is useless to me (and I think many people) because I only shoot raw all the time. Please give us an option to reassing this button with something more useful:

1. show the number of shots remaining
2. true mirror lockup (whithout the self timer)
3. engage AF (why not, this could come handy since you crippeled the vertical grip )
4. maybe onther customizeable quick menu (there are some custum functions that I need more often, and most of them I never touch)

Maybe others have different interesting suggestions.

The thing with custom functions is another thing. It would be great if I had the option to save the current state of CFs in the user setting, and even greater if I had more than one user setting.

thanks
Andreas

Last edited by ratjadi; 09-30-2008 at 04:26 PM.