Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-23-2010, 07:43 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 13 (100%)
[SOLD] K20D with Pentax-calibrated focus plus calibrated Katz Eye (Worldwide)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
K20D with Pentax-calibrated focus plus calibrated Katz Eye

Asking Price
$575

Item Location
Rochester, NY, USA

Item Description
I'm selling my K20D after upgrading to the K-7. It's actually been waiting to sell for a few months now while I looked for the manual and now I've given up that search! I had it just before boxing up everything else...

I bought the camera when it was first released. It has approximately 16,000 actuations on it. At just after 10,000 actuations, I sent it to Pentax to get a misfocusing issue taken care of and to inquire about some uneven noise at high ISOs. (Higher blue levels at the top and bottom of the frame.) (Neither of these were showstoppers; the focus was fine with some in-camera fine adjustment and the sensor issue only really showed at 6400 ISO and low color temperatures. I just figured that I'd get it tweaked before the warranty expired.) After some screwups on Pentax's part, I got it back with the focusing dead-on and a whole new sensor installed. Specifically:
"Replacement of main circuit board and related components. Calibrate and adjust all functions to factory settings.
Replacement or adjustment of electronic autofocus circuit including focus motor and encoder, CCD focus device. Computer adjust to factory settings."

Naturally, this also wiped out the shutter count. The last photo before shipping it back was 0319 (should be 10319 if they showed five digits.) It's currently just over 5800.

Soon after this, I bought a Katz Eye focusing screen for it. It's the basic split prism/microprism collar one with no Optibrite (from what I had read, the brightness could actually give you less contrast) and no grid etched. I installed it and found it not accurate, so after emailing with them, I decided that rather than deal with shims and hoping to get it right, I would send it off to them and let them do the work. It is now accurate.

As I said earlier, the manual and related papers and the CD have disappeared somewhere in my house. The manual and software can be downloaded online so hopefully that's not a real big deal. Everything else is included - body cap, flash cover, eyecover, eyecup, strap (never used), USB and video cables, battery and charger, and original box. Also included are the Katz Eye box with the original focusing screen include and a Minolta NP-400 battery, which is compatible, just with a tiny bit less life. I will also include all the correspondence with Pentax from when the work was done.

Mechanically, it works as well as day one. Cosmetically, the camera is fine. It was used but not abused and still looks pretty good and I'm sure that it has a lot of life left in it; I just can't justify keeping two top-line DSLRs on hand (in addition to a K100D and K-x!)

I'm guessing on the price. Hopefully this is a fair amount to ask. The Katz Eye costs $105 + $65 for the pro install service, and that it has been calibrated by Pentax may be worth something. If you have any questions, please let me know. If you'd like to see any photos from the camera, pretty much everything on my gallery taken from 3/2008 to 10/2009 was taken with the K20D. There's lots of stuff in the Vacations and Events galleries.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Good

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
$10 in USA, ask for int'l shipping costs

Shipping Services
FedEx or UPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
if not as described

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by Groucho; 06-07-2010 at 02:19 PM. Reason: lowered price
05-25-2010, 07:13 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Fell off the first page, time for a bump... and price lowered to $625. Thanks for looking!
05-29-2010, 05:47 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Another price drop for a great camera!
06-07-2010, 02:20 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm back from vacation and so it's time for one final price drop before it goes to a buyer who's offered slightly less... any takers?

06-09-2010, 05:49 PM   #5

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
is this still for sale?

if so, i tried to message you.

thanks
mike
06-09-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Sorry about that, I was on vacation for a few days with no internet access.

PMs all replied, camera still for sale...