PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.7 lens

Asking Price
$50 USD, shipped. (Cont. US only)

Item Location
Gibraltar, MI 48173

Item Description
I recently came upon this SMC Pentax-M 50mm f1.7. It's a very nice manual lens, but I already have the Pentax-F 50/1.7 (AF), as well as the full-manual Cosina 55mm/1.2, so I really have no reason to keep it. Comes with the original front cap and a generic rear cap.

The focus ring is very nice and smooth, quite precise in comparison to that of its AF cousin. I have taken a few photos with it, and this lens is sharp even wide open. In fact I did a direct comparison against the F 50, (using manual focus on the F, just to be consistent), and exposure, color, contrast etc. are identical, but the manually-focused images of the M lens actually came out sharper! (Although when testing the F lens using autofocus, vs the M lens, then it was a tie!)

Of course this lens can be used very well either using Aperture-Priority, or the Green Button in Manual, although it will not display your aperture setting on the camera (reads only "F--" on my K20D). Update: I'm not much of an Aperture-Priority fan and also haven't had a lot of experience with "M" lenses, but to me the results don't seem as consistent on "Av". I think exposure turns out better using the Green Button with the camera set on M.

The lens body is in good condition, there is a small amount of wear on the black finish here and there, but nothing serious. Aperture blades are pristine. I like the fact that the aperture ring moves in half-stops (my Cosina does not!). The glass surfaces look very good, no scratches. I could not see any dust inside this lens either, however, let me tell you what I did observe:

If you look very closely at the fourth photo (IMGP9569), at the tip of the aperture blade at about "one o'clock", is a very small fleck of something. You can't even always see it unless you turn the lens a certain way. It's not on the blades, it's apparently on the inside surface of the rear element. It doesn't appear to harm the images, but I just wanted to let you know that it's there. (By the way, I had a helluva time trying to properly photograph the rear of the aperture blades inside the back of this lens! Bounce flash, direct flash, daylight; hard to properly light the inside without also causing unwanted reflections! What is the secret???)

If you want to see a few images taken with this lens I'd be happy to include them in a later post, or e-mail them to you. PM me if interested. Thanks!
Paul

P.S. If anyone wants a free K1000 thrown in with the deal let, me know. It's kinda scrappy but if you want it, it's yours! Thanks for looking.
Update: Disregard the K1000, after further inspection it does not seem worth salvaging. Sorry.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
United States

Shipping Charge
additional

Shipping Services
USPS, FedEx, UPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
No returns after 7 days. Full refund (less shipping) if returned within 7 days , but must be in same condition as received.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images

Last edited by NeverSatisfied; 07-07-2010 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Update
06-30-2010, 06:16 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 28 (100%)
Original Poster
Images from M 50/1.7

Here are a couple of shots taken with this lens, both at f1.7, as well as 100% crops.
Attached Images

07-01-2010, 10:38 AM   #3

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
You've got mail.
07-01-2010, 07:31 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 28 (100%)
Original Poster
Reply sent to PM.

07-01-2010, 09:25 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 22 (100%)