Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-20-2010, 03:13 PM   #1

Feedback Score: 21 (100%)
[SOLD] CPC Phase 2 28mm 2.8 Multicoated (Pentax-A) (US)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
CPC Phase 2 28mm 2.8 Multicoated (Pentax-A)

Asking Price
$60 $40

Item Location
Seattle, WA

Item Description
For Sale :

Multi-Coated AUTO CPC PHASE 2 CCT 28mm f/2.8 prime lens - $60 NOW ONLY $40!!

I have been told it is a copy of the Pentax-A 28mm 2.8 and here is the information I have researched to support that:

First, the body appears identical to the Pentax-A version except for the markings and labels. Second, the optical properties of both lenses is the same.
They are both composed of 7 elements in 7 groups and all the other optical and mechanical qualities of both the CPC and the Pentax lens are the same, as you can see on the following websites:
CPC Phase 2 28/2.8
A 28/2.8

After some more research, I found this in an old issue of Keppler's SLR Notebook from circa 1984. "Those seeking a more moderately priced lens than the Pentax do have a line of Pentax-made Cosmicars."
It goes on to say, "CPC stands for Combined Products Corp., a reliable importer usually associated with Japanese-made lenses in various lens mounts. These, however, look cosmetically much like the Pentax-A lenses but are 20-25% cheaper."
So my conclusion from that is Pentax released the A line and designed a less expensive Taiwanese version of a few of the A lenses to sell as Cosmicar or CPC lenses. On the side of my copy it says "Cosmicar Taiwan ROC".

Keppler on Program Plus and Cosmicar - a photo on Flickriver

My personal thoughts and review of this lens:

This lens is quite impressive. It is in, what appears to be, completely unused condition. I don't think this lens was ever mounted to a camera other than myself testing it out. You can definitely tell it has always had the caps and skylight filter on it because the glass is perfect with no scratches, haze, or internal dust. I have seen a few CPC lenses that were Ricoh mount and all the A functions did not work. I want to make clear that this is a Pentax-A mount lens with no Ricoh pin and it works flawlessly as an A lens on both 35mm and DSLR cameras with no worry of gettting stuck or anything.

The image quality was very good during my testing with this lens. I was continuously surprised and impressed with what this lens was resolving. I have owned the Pentax-A 28mm before. I don't have the opportunity to compare them side by side but this CPC lens seems every bit as good as the Pentax-A lens was. The multi-coating seems to handle flaring well and CA/PF are little to none. Overall, it is a great wide-angle prime lens that should fit the bill if you have been looking for a Pentax-A 28mm but don't shell out $100+ for one. You will be happy with this lens. It produces wonderful images!

Lens comes with generic front and rear lens caps as well as a generic 49mm Skylight (1A) filter.

U.S. based buyers only please.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
United States

Shipping Charge
$10

Shipping Services
USPS Priority Mail - Fully Insured

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Check/Money Order

Return Policy & Additional Details
Satisfaction Guaranteed!

Items will be accepted for return within 7 days of receiving only if they are received "not as described" or damaged during shipment. No returns accepted for changing your mind so be sure to ask all questions before purchase.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
K-x  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
K-x  Photo 

Last edited by JP_Seattle; 07-22-2010 at 12:10 PM.
07-21-2010, 03:47 PM   #2

Original Poster
It is a great lens in great condition. Who needs a nice wide-angle prime lens?

Last edited by JP_Seattle; 07-22-2010 at 12:12 PM.
07-22-2010, 12:14 PM   #3

Original Poster
Price lowered drastically for quick sale. I am leaving tomorrow and won't be back until after August 1st so if you have been looking for a lens like this or on the fence about it... now is the time! I would like to get it sold and shipped out right away, before I leave tomorrow afternoon.

HURRAY.. HURRAY... HURRAY!
07-22-2010, 05:38 PM   #4

Feedback Score: 4 (100%)
PM sent.

Cool little lens, like the "A".

steve

07-24-2010, 11:49 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
I have the Cosmicar 28 and other than the markings on the front, and the rubber for the focusing ring, it is identical to this CPC. And it is a sharp little lens for sure...

Here is a recent shot I took with it mounted to my K110D.