Feedback Score: 17 (100%)
[SOLD] Bigma Sigma 50-500mm F4-6.3 APO DG EX

Item for Sale:
Sigma 50-500mm F4-6.3 APO DG EX

Asking Price
$850

Item Location
Atlanta, GA, US

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes, bought in September 2009

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling or Trading

Item Condition (Key)
EX+

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide. Outside US/Canada I'd prefer if you have been a member here for a while and/or have some positive feedback in the Marketplace

Shipping Charge
Buyer pays actual shipping costs including insurance

Shipping Services
USPS Priority Mail, UPS, FedEx

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal (with international I might add the extra Paypal fees)

Item Descriptions
As you might have figured out from the other threads I have here in the Marketplace I am jumping ship and switching to Canon . Almost all my shooting is motorsports and I just need better performing AF.

I have gotten some great shots with this lens, and have been very happy with it. More recently I started worrying a bit about either the AF being a bit off or some other problem causing a softness in some shots that I didn't notice earlier on. I didn't want to sell it like that so I took it to the local Sigma service center (Camera Repair Japan) here in Atlanta and had them take a look at it.

I just got it back from them today and even though I didn't have any motorcycles going 180 mph to test it on, it appears it is all back to its former glory According to the paperwork the following was performed:

- Repaired focusing
- Adjusted autofocus
- General clean and check

They definitely cleaned it well. Previously the lens had accumulated a couple of larger dust specks and now it is probably cleaner than when it left the factory.

It is a heavy lens (1900g/67 oz), and many people claim that it can only be used on a tripod. However I have almost exclusively used it hand-held. When panning the weight is a great help in keeping a constant speed in your movements and in my experience you can go a lot slower in shutter speed than with a lighter lens.

Mechanically and optically the lens is in top condition and as mentioned has just been in for service. Since I have been hand-holding it a lot there is some wear in the finish on the tripod mount and on the Zoom Lock switch. The finish just doesn't seem to hold up very well to a lot of handling, but it is purely cosmetic. Check the photos for more detail.

Everything that originally came with the lens is included in the sale: hood, front and rear caps, carry strap, case, paperwork and box.

Being an EX lens it has a 3 year extended warranty.

I will be posting photos of the lens as well as photos taken with the lens shortly.

Please feel free to ask questions either here in this thread or through PM.

I am also interested in trades for lenses (for Canon obviously). I am looking for either a wide zoom + cash (I really liked my Sigma 10-20 for Pentax), a 70-200/2.8 or some long glass. I don't really have any cash to add to the deal though so I guess a 300L F2.8 or 400L F2.8 is out of the question ;-) Btw. IS is not needed since I do fast action.

---------- Post added 07-28-10 at 06:57 PM ----------

Here are some pictures:

(More here: http://www.racevolutionphoto.com/p782050188)

---------- Post added 07-28-10 at 07:11 PM ----------

Taken at AMA Superbike Showdown at Road Atlanta back in April:

(More shots from that weekend here: racEvolution Photography | Various Shots - except for a few shots with the 10-20mm, all shots are with this lens on my K7 (also for sale))

Last edited by emilf; 07-28-2010 at 04:00 PM. Reason: Added link to more photos
07-28-2010, 05:49 PM   #2

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
PM sent
07-28-2010, 07:25 PM   #3

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by bikermike Quote
PM sent
PM Replied
07-29-2010, 02:57 AM   #4

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
postage?

how much for postage to australia?

07-29-2010, 05:44 AM   #5

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by lost1luke Quote
how much for postage to australia?
Depending on final shipping weight I'd say $63 for USPS Priority Mail and $65 for Express Mail International including insurance. First option takes 6-10 business days and second option would be there 8/6 if I shipped it today.
07-29-2010, 08:14 AM   #6

PM sent.
07-29-2010, 08:43 AM   #7

PM Sent