Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-28-2010, 06:10 PM   #1
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 30 (100%)
[SOLD] Pentax SMC Shift 28mm f3.5 RARE (Worldwide)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Pentax SMC Shift 28mm f3.5 RARE

Asking Price
$550

Item Location
Seattle, WA

Item Description
Pentax SMC Shift 28mm f 3.5

This is an unusual lens, and a valuable one if you need to have accurate shots with architectural elements. It's also great for panos.

After composing the image in the viewfinder as usual, you can rotate an easy-to-turn dial that causes the body of the lens to shift off axis laterally. This adjusts distortion that would otherwise be viewed as the convergence of vertical lines. This article explains things far better than I can.

Minimum focus distance of a foot; lens design includes 12 elements in 11 groups.

This lens is treated as an "M" lens. It takes a while to learn to operate, and requires a tripod.

While I don't recommend this lens as an everyday 28mm shooter, achieving accurate crisp panos with it (and a tripod) is almost a no brainer. Shift the lens all the way to the left. Take the shot. Shift the lens all the way to the right take the shot. Mate both halves in Photoshop/Elements (auto merge works great) and you're done. The scene of Mt. Rainier below is an example.

This is the most bombproof Pentax lens I've ever seen, let alone owned. It is heavy and serious. There are three built in filters, including a skylight. A soft case (labeled Minolta) provides very good protection.

This can be used on all Pentax SLRs and DSLRs. Unlike the converted medium format Russian Tilt/Shifts available, this one is wide enough to use with digital and film and fit in whole buildings (in a single bound).

It took me many moons to obtain this lens. I am only selling because I have a business requirement to change camera platforms--and there are perspective control lenses available over there too.

$550 PayPal only. Free shipping within ConUS; other locations please PM.
Thanks,

M

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
Included ConUS

Shipping Services
UPS; USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
No returns.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images

07-28-2010, 06:18 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 7 (100%)
As someone who owns a non SMC shift, I can say that for panoramics a lens like this is simply amazing.

You take 2 or 3 shots (2 if you are lazy, 3 for perfection but both generally yield similarly perfect results) and you have 100% perfect overlap and perspective.

This isn't for making 180 panos, but if you want 30-40MP panos with a printable perspective this lens should be on your list!

Beyond that, you can use a lens like this for all sorts of trickery, including simply shifting over foreground obstacles without losing pixels or distorting your perspective relative to the horizon.
07-30-2010, 05:20 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 30 (100%)
Original Poster
Pending

Sale Pending

M