Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-20-2007, 12:29 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 149 (100%)
[SOLD] Pentax SMC A 20mm F2.8 20/2.8 Like New In Box

The lens has been sold

Selling this lens on behalf of a friend (I've sold my own quite a while ago here at the forum ). The lens is in absolute mint to like new condition with almost no sign of use. As a collector's item, it's really hard to find another A20 lens in such great condition.

Glass is perfect like new. Comes with all original Pentax caps, original lens pouch, and the retail box with warranty paper and series number document.

Asking for USD$500 plus actual shipping cost. Payment can be made by bank transfer, moneybookers or paypal (subject to 4% paypal fee).

Please send me a PM if interested.

Thanks for looking and good luck!

Here is the actual lens:

Last edited by frank; 09-24-2007 at 11:58 PM. Reason: sold!
08-20-2007, 12:31 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Here is a link to my own one (with some sample photos):

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/sold-items/2744-sold-pentax-smc-20mm-f2-8...ngle-lens.html
08-20-2007, 07:40 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Some users' comments about this lens at Stan's Pentax Photography site:

Comments About SMC A 20/2.8 Lens

QuoteQuote:
Ken Kuo - The SMC-A 24mm/2.8 is a gem . . . . . . it's my standard lens. Razor sharpness, no noticeable distortions, excellent contrast, compact, and has no "polycarbonate" parts.

- - - - - -

Douglas J Stemke - . . . I love this lens; I've only had it for a short time but really enjoy it. Very sharp. The biggest problem is the hood; Pentax sells it for $80 which seems way too high to me for something that is really that simple. . . Although I haven't used it a great deal, I can't yet claim to see any significant distortion on it, but will look more critically on some of my shots tonight and give you a better idea.

- - - - - -

> For mostly deliberate landscape shot, which do you recommend, FA or A, and why?

Yoshihiko Takinami - I prefer A20/2.8 to FA20/2.8, and actually own a A20/2.8. They are optically identical except the number of aperture blades. . . I recommand MF for this range of focal length because you would not tend to focus on the subject but on the hyper-focal distance. As for the number of aperture blades, you won't be able to distinguish between the two, five or six. The only one exception would be bright spotlights in background, six lusters by six blades, and ten lusters by five blades.

> A version is considerably more expensive than FA version, why?

I suppose the helicoid mechanism of MF lens is more expensive to produce than gears of AF lens.

- - - - - -

Rob Studdert - I also own the Pentax A20/2.8 and would like to add that it is of exceptional build quality and as a consequence is a joy to use.

[and in an added later comment from Rob] . . . It is a great lens (great contrast, high resolution and good flare resistance) but it is expensive (even used).

- - - - - -

Yoshihiko Takinami - . . . I own A20/2.8, which is optically identical to FA20/2.8 except the number of aperture blades; FA has 6 blades and A has 5 blades. This optic is the best one among the Pentax 20mm lenses, IMHO, with great contrast and excellent color rendition.

It's a pity but its not so good in resolution, coma aberration and contrast in corners as K15/3.5 or K18/3.5, even closed down. To confess the truth, I prefer K18/3.5 or K15/3.5 to A(FA)20/2.8 in terms of optical quality. Unfortunately K18/3.5 seems very rare and K15/3.5 is expensive.

- - - - - -

Patrick Rendulic - I did some tests with this lens and must say that its performance is quite amazing. I am also very happy that there is no visible vignetting when using a Pentax SMC UV filter (67mm thread) or my Contax linear polarizer. So tomorrow I will go and order some Pentax SMC 67mm filters for B&W photography. Just wished they were not so expensive (the UV cost $US65).

- - - - - -

Fred - At the 20mm focal length, I am familiar only with the A 20/2.8, but I can recommend it without reservation . . . It has become my most used wide-angle below 28mm. (In fact, I recently sold my A 24/2.8, not because I didn't like it, but I found that I just didn't use it as much anymore, after getting the 20/2.8.) While I am unlikely to dig out and lug around the A 15/3.5, unless I know I have a need for it, the A 20/2.8 goes with me everywhere whenever I'm "photo-equipped".

Except for the wide (67mm thread) filter mounting flange in the front of the lens (which nicely helps avoid vignetting when using filters, and I frequently do use a polarizer on it), the lens is actually quite compact. It is fast, . . . and that is useful, but it is also both sharp and quite low in distortion. Its flare performance is good and its contrast is quite high. On the other hand, its "official" "dedicated" hood is sort of a screw-in "big round pie plate with a hole in the middle", and I do wish that Pentax had come out with a rectangular hood for this lens instead. (I don't use the hood too often on the lens, but I am able to get 75 satellite channels on it when hooked up to the TV.) Oh, I almost forgot to mention, . . . the A 20/2.8's build quality is very high. . .
08-24-2007, 10:12 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 8 (100%)
Oh how I would love this lens. But after just buying the Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO-Lanthar, I just can't squeeze out another $500.00 right now from my LBA fund. I really want a wide angle prime. Sigh.

09-05-2007, 12:25 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LaRee Quote
Oh how I would love this lens. But after just buying the Voigtlander 125/2.5 APO-Lanthar, I just can't squeeze out another $500.00 right now from my LBA fund. I really want a wide angle prime. Sigh.
Almost forgot this sale ...

This is one of the best wide angle lenses ever made by Pentax. It works quite well even on a cropped dSLR camera But I seldom use this focal range, better let it go so someone else can use it better ...
09-05-2007, 11:34 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
The friend is willing to trade for a DA14 too. So if someone wants to do a one to one trade, please let me know ...