Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-31-2010, 03:19 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 62 (100%)
[SOLD] Legendary Macro lens Vivitar 1:1 100mm f/2.8 (Worldwide)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Legendary Macro lens Vivitar 1:1 100mm f/2.8

Asking Price
345USD Sold for 335USD

Item Location
Canada

Item Description
I grabbed this lens locally about 4 months ago and really enjoyed using it. However, money is a little tight here. Also, I consider that I would prefer have a nice 2.8 midrange zoom than a dedicated macro lens because it fits my type of shooting better.
It really does brake my heart to let go such a rare and amazing lens though.

For what it's worth, this is the same lens as the Vivitar Series 1 105mm macro and the Kiron and the... you fill the blank. This lens came in many versions and all are pretty much the reference in Macro photography IMHO.

- PK/A lens - (just in case someone wonders what A means... camera controls the aperture when the lens is put in the A position)

Lens condition : The lens is in mint cosmetic condition. I can't find any scratches on it. I included a lot of pictures and I hope they will convince you of the extraordinary good condition of the lens. Optically, the lens is perfect as well. If there is a speck of dust inside, my eyes can't see it.
The retractable lens hood is in perfect condition, it slides in and out without problem and is very well built. It has a little soft fabric inside that prevent it to scratch the lens, very clever, and a very nice touch from Vivitar!
The focus ring is stiff, (*much* stiffer than my 50mm f/2 takumar for example) and I really feel that it works great for macro photography. Since the focus throat is really long (especially at magnification around 1:3 and below), a stiff focus allows better precision IMHO. Aperture clicks perfectly (if you want to use the aperture ring instead of the A setting), A position works perfectly. Aperture blades are clean and snappy as well.

Image quality : Although I am not an expert in photography, this lens has, by a wide margin, the best image quality I have seen from a lens.
Sharpness : incredibly sharp wide open and above. Wide open, the lens is more sharp than any lens I have at any aperture.

The lens also has what could be the original leather case with a strap. I say could be because it doesn't say Vivitar on it and therefore could be a generic case. It is in almost perfect condition as well. The lens fits perfectly inside leaving less than a quarter of an inch of space at the top once closed.

This lens obviously excel for Macro work but could also be used quite easily as a normal 100mm lens. The focus throat is not very long between 1:10 and 1:3. Only after that that it extends the most. Therefore, the lens suits all type of photography, from street to bug.

Now, what could make this lens not perfect to some people :
When the lens is gently balanced from left to right, or from front to behind, there is a little noise coming out from the rear of the lens. Once the lens is attached to the camera body, the noise is almost unnoticeable. It's very hard to described but it is there. Although I don't know what it is, it doesn't sound like a moving screws... and I don't know if it's suppose to be or not.

I obviously never remove the back of the lens to check what cause the sound, even though I suppose I could have (it does look pretty straight forward).
There is just no reason why I would do that because the lens performs perfectly. The sound has always been there, and the Sir I bought it from locally (the kind of guy who's had all the legendary lens in world at one point) has told me that as far as he can remember, the sound has always been there.

I prefer to mention as much details as I can in order to give an honest description of the lens.

Price includes paypal fee. Canadian buyer can pay via EMT - I will then knock 3% off the final price.

Shipping to Canada is 15$ using XpressPost
Shipping to the US is 25$ using XpressPost - I could also use CanadaPost expedited parcel, which would cost 15$. Both are tracked and inssured. XpressPost is a little faster and has a on time delivery warranty.

I don't mind shipping the lens internationally but shipping price can be very, very high when looking at tracked shipment. Quote on demand.

To see all the pictures, please follow this link Picasa Web Albums - karl.tremblay1 - Vivitar Macro...(27 pictures of, and from the lens).
(I could send the full res file to your personal email upon your request).
All the test pictures were taken with the lens on sale, today, and are straight out JPEG from my K-x NO pp at all. There is one exeption, the fly shot was taken few weeks ago in RAW and some PP was done although very basic since I only use lightroom and am a total newbee with it!).
All the shots are handheld. The Corona Beer cap is at 1:1 (as are some others).

1:1 (or close to) handheld at f2.8 (wide open)

f/5 handheld (no flash or anything else used)

Thanks for looking !

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Like New

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
See description

Shipping Services
CanadaPost XpressPost

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Other (Elaborate)

Return Policy & Additional Details
Buyers has 7 days to inspect the lens and contact me. Full refund - we split shipping cost. Return will be accepted only if the lens is not as described.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by kp0c; 09-25-2010 at 10:30 AM. Reason: price drop
08-31-2010, 03:28 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 42 (100%)
If I didn't have the D FA WR 100mm Macro, I'd snap this up in a jiffy. Simply awesome lens.
09-01-2010, 05:05 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 48 (100%)
Now that I see the pictures, I hate you for sniping that one from under my nose...
09-02-2010, 03:39 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I received a few international inquiries for the lens. I checked for 2 or 3 locations yet and prices were around 35$ to 70$, depending on the type of service selected. PM me for an exact quote but that can serve as a "about what you can expect to pay".

09-04-2010, 06:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
I will be away for the week end. I will answer any PM on monday.
09-11-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Bump : price drop
09-12-2010, 07:15 AM   #7
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
is this a manual or auto lens?
09-12-2010, 04:38 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The aperture can be controlled by the camera. However, the focus is manual. It performs like a Pentax-A lens.

09-14-2010, 06:41 PM   #9

Feedback Score: 14 (100%)
nice lens...is it still avail?
09-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
yes it is.
09-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #11
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 27 (100%)
PM sent about this lens.
09-19-2010, 07:29 AM   #12
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 13 (100%)
Is this lens still available?
09-24-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 9 (100%)
I got rid of my S1 a year or so ago and really miss it, this would fit the bill perfectly. Is it still available?

PS. That slight rattle you hear is normal. I believe it is ball bearings. All these lenses do this to my knowledge. I know mine did and I've heard others mention it as well.
09-24-2010, 09:43 PM   #14
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 6 (100%)
Yeah, I was going to say that these lenses all make this noise! I can't believe this is still available TBH; these are great lenses.
09-25-2010, 07:21 AM   #15
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Thanks guys for the comment on the little rattle noise, I was curious as to know what it was.
Lens still available.
Pm answered