Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home
 

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-04-2010, 05:47 PM   #1
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the present
Posts: 1,870
Feedback Score: 40 (100%)
[SOLD] Vivitar 285HV (US/CAN)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Vivitar 285HV

Asking Price
60.00 Shipped

Item Location
Connecticut USA

Item Description
.
Vivitar 285HV Flash in excellent condition. 60.00 Shipped

No dings, dents, corrosion or otherwise. Shows no noticeable wear.

Purchased for Strobist work. I have since picked up a dedicated Pentax unit. I have not used this flash in a long time, so it should go to someone who will use it.

This is an older 285HV. It does not have the issues with QC of the model that were released after Vivitar was bought.

Trigger not included:





Features:

* Guide No.120' (37 m) ISO 100 @ 50mm
* Zoom Flash Head
* Auto Bounce Control
* Thyristor Battery Saving Circuit
* 4 Auto f/Stops
* Built-In Vari-Power Control
* Accepts Variety of Power Sources

Please let me know if you have any questions.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
North America

Shipping Charge
Included

Shipping Services
USPS Parcel post, Delivery Confirmation

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Check/Money Order

Return Policy & Additional Details
Seven Days from delivery at cost of Buyer. Item must be returned in the same condition it was sent.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!


Last edited by woof; 10-03-2010 at 06:23 AM.
09-04-2010, 07:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,071
Feedback Score: 24 (100%)
I have an older version of this flash, this was made in the days when Vivitar was one of the best camera equipment makers around. It is a great flash unit that's also extremely powerful and durable. If you're using it with your DSLR, check to see that its voltage isn't enough to fry your camera. I was lucky enough to get a version that only had 3v.
09-04-2010, 08:18 PM   #3
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the present
Posts: 1,870
Feedback Score: 40 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
I have an older version of this flash, this was made in the days when Vivitar was one of the best camera equipment makers around. It is a great flash unit that's also extremely powerful and durable. If you're using it with your DSLR, check to see that its voltage isn't enough to fry your camera. I was lucky enough to get a version that only had 3v.
Good point. I have always used it off camera.

Can anyone tell me how I might test this? I have a multimeter, and just tried to see if I could measure the voltage by putting the hot lead across the foot, but it did not even register. What's the best way to do this?

woof!
09-04-2010, 08:30 PM   #4
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,071
Feedback Score: 24 (100%)
Measuring the Voltage on a Vivitar 285 Flash | Life is a Prayer.com

If I remember correctly. The vast majority of the 285s made in Japan were ridiculously dangerous and the ones made in Korea were mostly OK. There certainly were exceptions though as stated in the guide. Even if it were too high, it's still great off-camera.

09-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #5
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the present
Posts: 1,870
Feedback Score: 40 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
Measuring the Voltage on a Vivitar 285 Flash | Life is a Prayer.com

If I remember correctly. The vast majority of the 285s made in Japan were ridiculously dangerous and the ones made in Korea were mostly OK. There certainly were exceptions though as stated in the guide. Even if it were too high, it's still great off-camera.
Thank you! That's great.

Mine is "Made in Japan."

I get inconsistent results from my (cheap) multimeter. The higher I go on the voltage scale, the more consistently it looks like it is in the range of 6+ a fraction volts. On the lower voltage scales, the voltage looks lower - in the range of 4. based on the inconsistent results, I won't warrant that this one is one of the lower voltage flashes. On the other hand, it is clearly not running in the 200's.

I'll leave this call up to the new owner. Thanks for the info.
09-05-2010, 07:59 AM   #6
Veteran Member




Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: NYC
Posts: 1,071
Feedback Score: 24 (100%)
4-6V is fine in my book. Most people seem to agree on that Pentax cameras will take up to 20V without any issues although there isn't really a general consensus besides that 300V will likely fry your camera. This certainly looks safe to me.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/85528-k7-maximum-a...r-voltage.html

Lowell grudge mentions what to do with cheap multimeters in the thread.... It seems 10ohm impedance is the best for measuring flash voltage.
09-05-2010, 09:58 AM   #7
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the present
Posts: 1,870
Feedback Score: 40 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hangu Quote
4-6V is fine in my book. Most people seem to agree on that Pentax cameras will take up to 20V without any issues although there isn't really a general consensus besides that 300V will likely fry your camera. This certainly looks safe to me.

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-dslr-discussion/85528-k7-maximum-a...r-voltage.html

Lowell grudge mentions what to do with cheap multimeters in the thread.... It seems 10ohm impedance is the best for measuring flash voltage.
Ah! the missing ingredient. Should have read closer. Let me retry. Update shortly.

Seaain
09-05-2010, 10:06 PM   #8
Pentaxian
unixrevolution's Avatar

Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Waldorf, MD
Posts: 1,858
Feedback Score: 34 (100%)
The "HV" in "285 HV" denotes that it is a new production flash and is safe for fragile flash circuits like the kind found in DSLRs. nothing to worry about here.

I have an older 285, and as an on OR off-camera flash it's great.

09-06-2010, 04:40 AM   #9
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the present
Posts: 1,870
Feedback Score: 40 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by unixrevolution Quote
The "HV" in "285 HV" denotes that it is a new production flash and is safe for fragile flash circuits like the kind found in DSLRs. nothing to worry about here.

I have an older 285, and as an on OR off-camera flash it's great.

Thank you. That is what the "authorities" on the Internet seemed to be saying when read closely.

The model number, denoting this as an 285HV is on the front face and is visible in one of the photos. So this is one of the better Made in Japan, safe-for-digital flashes.

My multimeter does no allow me to adjust impedance, but again, in the higher scales this shows a little over 6 volts, and lower on the lower scales.

Pretty tempted to keep this myself at this point. It was my backup and at this price worth having for that purpose not to mention other film bodies, etc.

woof!
09-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #10
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the present
Posts: 1,870
Feedback Score: 40 (100%)
Original Poster
bump - make an offer
10-03-2010, 06:25 AM   #11
Veteran Member




Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: In the present
Posts: 1,870
Feedback Score: 40 (100%)
Original Poster
Final Bump... thanks.
10-03-2010, 07:05 AM   #12
Pentaxian
ducdao's Avatar

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Montreal/Vermont
Posts: 2,160
Feedback Score: 28 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by woof Quote
Final Bump... thanks.
u got an offer
 

Bookmarks
  • Submit Thread to Facebook Facebook
  • Submit Thread to Twitter Twitter
  • Submit Thread to Digg Digg
Tags - Make this thread easier to find by adding keywords to it!
auto, condition, control, delivery, flash, item, vivitar, vivitar 285hv
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Vivitar 285HV oldjohn Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 3 04-21-2010 05:37 AM
Vivitar 285hv flash bogiesbad Flashes, Lighting, and Studio 3 02-08-2009 01:43 PM
Vivitar 285hv Charles1 Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 9 12-05-2008 01:48 PM
For Sale - Sold: FS Vivitar 285HV Peter Zack Sold Items 2 04-09-2008 10:45 AM
vivitar 285hv. Yes or no? skaktuss Pentax Camera and Field Accessories 11 10-17-2007 04:46 AM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:01 PM. | See also: NikonForums.com, CanonForums.com part of our network of photo forums!
  • Red (Default)
  • Green
  • Gray
  • Dark
  • Dark Yellow
  • Dark Blue
  • Old Red
  • Old Green
  • Old Gray
  • Dial-Up Style
Hello! It's great to see you back on the forum! Have you considered joining the community?
register
Creating a FREE ACCOUNT takes under a minute, removes ads, and lets you post! [Dismiss]
Top