Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
09-19-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 73 (100%)
[SOLD] Rare Early Production FA 43mm ƒ/1.9 (Worldwide)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Rare Early Production FA 43mm ƒ/1.9

Asking Price

Item Location
Portland, OR, USA

Item Description
The fabled early production run FA43 with brown bag and supposedly different coating.
See the following threads for details:
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31678-about-fa-43mm-ltd-14.html
https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-slr-lens-discussion/31678-about-fa-43mm-ltd-26.html
Special Standard - Pentax FA 43mm f1.9 Limited - PhotoMalaysia Community

This isn't a normal FA 43. Compare the photos in the links side by side and ask which one you'd prefer. Average FA 43 lenses have a phenomenal reputation, early production models are ne plus ultra.

If you miss out on this one, you can always wait until the next one comes around. Please search the "sold items" listings to see how often one comes around. That's how long you'll need to wait.

History of this lens
Shelf Life
A camera store "in a far off land" sold a batch of New Old Stock to a forum member. Some very nice items have been sitting in boxes for years, this lens included. The buyer put the items for sale on this forum and nice forum members tell him that he's got something out of the ordinary. I guess I wasn't a nice forum member because I sent him a message right away saying "me me me!". The sale was withdrawn because the value is unknown, but certainly more than normal.

To the Highest Bidder
A few days later this lens found its way to a large auction site. I won the auction. If you have to ask...

To Infinity and Beyond
The lens wasn't perfect. It has a scratch on the distance scale (shown in a photo below), it had a small hair in the optics, and it wouldn't focus to infinity. The auction seller cleaned out some dust from the lens cap and nicked the felt lining (shown in a photo below).

In my opinion, I think this lens didn't originally sell because it didn't focus to infinity. This is just a guess, but the fact remains that this lens went unsold for a long time.

I brought it to an authorized Pentax repair facility where they easily removed the hair and fixed the infinity problem.

Falling into Infinity
When the lens was returned it managed to focus to infinity, but when it got to infinity it lost track of position and failed to return to closer focus correctly. This has something to do with little metal ribs that are used to keep track of position (or something like that. I'm not a lens technician, instead I pay them to fix it). One problem fixed, one problem created.

I returned the lens to the shop and it had to be forwarded to Pentax USA. Pentax USA took their sweet time fixing it, perhaps they put it on a slow boat to Japan. The lens eventually returned with a Tamron rear lens cap! Fantastic job!

All's well that ends well
It works now. I've not had a chance to really use this lens. You can be the first owner of substance following a decades long history of neglect.

Includes
Comes with original hood, original box, papers, metal Made in Japan lens cap (different than found on current FA43s), and original brown pouch (good thing I didn't send the pouch to Pentax, they would have returned it in a Sigma pouch).

Photos

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
included to CONUSA, ask for worldwide. Add $10 if you want insurance.

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
7 days if condition is not as described.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

09-22-2010, 07:27 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Bump for the 43.
09-25-2010, 08:15 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Up again.

I've read rumors that FA limited production is ending. If true, it is sad news indeed.

These products render with great character and are constructed with evident attention to detail and longevity. They are named "Limited" because limited quantities were produced, it is sad to see them take on a newer meaning as their ranks no longer grow in number.

Last edited by Aegon; 09-25-2010 at 08:36 PM.