Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-05-2010, 05:10 PM   #16
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 177 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by hinman Quote
Sale is pending and marked as such in the top notice.

Thanks!
Hin
Super-Takumar 28mm f/3.5 is now sold and updated as such in the sale thread. Will mark this sale thread SOLD later on.

Thanks everyone,
Hin

---------- Post added 10-05-10 at 05:36 PM ----------

Before I mark the sale as SOLD, i want to document the usage of the lens for the buyer in Australia for the lens. The buyer is new to M42 and hence that I am concerned with reasons and more details to give

1. Always use Genunie Pentax M42 to K adapter

This is necessary if you want to enjoy M42 lenses in Pentax K mount. It is just a bit more expensive but the adapter is all the worth the extra $10 to $20 dollars. The best and most reliable place is pentax webstore

2. Preset ring operation

Preset Ring
The preset ring is the ring with ridge lines on the top portion of the above picture. It is not obvious that the preset ring needs to be pulled down to setting the aperture on aperture ring

Aperture Ring
The aperture ring is the outer most ring with engrave of aperture numbers as in f/2.0, f/3.2, f/4.0,.. that is next to the little red error on the top of the above picture
  1. pull the preset ring toward the camera, ie. pull the ring down in the above picture
  2. set aperture to desired value such as f/8.0
  3. return or release the preset ring to original position
  4. After preset aperture, you can stop the lens down from f/2.0 to f/8.0
  5. You can choose to focus in the brightest aperture in f/2.0 and then stop-down to f/8.0 for the shutter release in taking the final picture -- very neat once you get the hang of it.

I normally preset the lens to f/16, focus in f/2.0 and shoot pictures subject to scene and stop-down to aperture in lining up f/aperture number with the red arrow on the top of the picture.

Hope this helps the buyer with Czj Biotar 58mm f/2.8 lens, it is the best copy that I have ever used. I should have mentioned that my copy has two air bubbles but there is nothing to worry about as I get great pictures from that lens.

I will suggest adding a warming filter as color in my copy tend to have a colder blue tone than usual. The added 49mm round lens hood in the package should help with the lens flare control.

Thanks,
Hin

---------- Post added 10-05-10 at 05:48 PM ----------

I want to update the buyer of this zoom on few things that I remember

• Macro switch is in between 180mm to 300mm in focal length,
  • If switched from Normal to Macro mode and that you focus within the macro distance less than 5 feet, it is difficult to switch back to normal mode, the switch become not switchable.
  • I switch from AF to MF, then turn the focus ring pass the macro distance reach at 4.9 feet . Once out of macro distance, I can engage in either Normal or Macro mode, but one has to remember to switch back from MF to AF
  • The other alternative is to focus on a distant object first, switch from Macro to Normal and shoot as normal
  • This zoom lacks a zoom lock, it is best to hold with hand on zoom ring so as to keep the zoom position steady
  • An investment on monopod will go a long way to help this lens in shooting past 200mm. In the viewfinder, I usually find myself not steady. With a monopod and careful use of shutter, this can achieve better results, the same goes with macro.

I hope this is not too confusing.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 10-05-2010 at 06:07 PM.
10-05-2010, 06:13 PM   #17

Feedback Score: 13 (100%)
Very informative.

I've recently bought a vivitar 70-150/3.8 two-touch version in K-mount which looks exactly like your M42 vivitar. Do you think they are identical optically?
10-05-2010, 06:19 PM   #18
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 177 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by chaplinlau Quote
Very informative.

I've recently bought a vivitar 70-150/3.8 two-touch version in K-mount which looks exactly like your M42 vivitar. Do you think they are identical optically?
Yes, I think so as I have owned both K-mount and M42 mount and the 1-touch zoom. I have tried it all and I can blind fold and pick one and be happy as a clam!!!!! But darn it, I am walking to the DARK side with Nikon which can't work with M42 on infinity focus!!!!

I sold my K-mount to get the M42 mount as I like Av mode without the stop-down metering. The lens is awesome for its price. I call it my poor man's dream with DA* 50-135mm f/2.8. It can actually rival the DA* on sharpness and the missing close up. It does have a tendency on cooler tone and its bokeh can't match the DA* but sharpness is really good and ease of use is quite outstanding on the zoom.

I will caution the use of the 2x multiplier. The Kiron lens is too slow for the 2x to work. It will work better in your K-mount case as M42 is stop-downed and it is too dark unless I switch to A in the A/M switch or that I focus in wider aperture in f/3.8. All in all, the lens is a good zoom lens to have.

I love the 2-touch zoom as I don't need to pay attention to unknowingly moved zoom positions. I highly recommend the zoom lens. If you have something like a +4 diopter, you are in luck with the close up, you won't believe that this zoom can double up as a macro and it can rival a prime on 1:3 to 1:2 given a good +4 diopter

Some of my early work with K100D and K10D on the 1-touch zoom that share similar Kiron optics. I used it for street shooting with emphasis on small zoom on people

Last edited by hinman; 10-05-2010 at 06:37 PM.
10-05-2010, 06:26 PM   #19

Feedback Score: 13 (100%)
Thanks hinman. Can't wait until it arrives