Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
01-28-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
[SOLD] SMC Takumar 1:3.5/15mm (M42), EX- cond. (Worldwide)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
SMC Takumar 1:3.5/15mm (M42), EX- cond., Serial no. 7727112. NEW PRICE!

Asking Price
USD 1,650.-

Item Location
Norway

Item Description
CONDITION: EXCELLENT-
The item is in perfect working order and has no discernible mechanical or optical faults or damages.
Front and rear glass are both clear and undamaged, with no visible dents, cracks or scratches.Lens coating is intact and there is no sign of fungus, nor any visible dust inside the lens. Focusing ring runs smoothly and aperture ring clicks nicely into place for each stop. Manual/auto switch runs as it should and the diaphragm is oil-free and snappy.The built-in filters - (Y48(Y2), skylight, L39(UV) and O56(O2) – work as intended and the filter switch ring runs perfectly steady and smooth.Cosmetically, the lens is in very good shape. The screwmount base shows slight signs of wear and the outer rim of the lens hood has some light slide marks from the lens cap. Otherwise the paint and the rubber grips on the focusing ring are unblemished.
Front and rear glass are both clear and undamaged, with no visible dents, cracks or scratches. Lens Coating is intact and there is no sign of fungus, nor any visible dust inside the lens. Focusing ring runs smoothly, aperture ring clicks nicely into place for each stop, and manual/auto lever runs as it should.Diaphragm is oil-free and snappy. The built-in filters - (Y48(Y2), skylight, L39(UV) and O56(O2) – work as intended and the filter selection ring runs perfectly steady and smooth.
Cosmetically, the lens is in very good shape. The screwmount base shows slight signs of wear and the outer rim of the lens hood has some light slide marks from the lens cap. Otherwise the paint and the rubber grips on the focusing ring are unblemished.
The item is sold with original front and rear lens caps in excellent condition and with original leather casing, which is rather worn on the outside but still serves it's purpose.

BACKGROUND INFO:
All you Tak lovers out there have heard about this one, but not so many have seen it, other than on eBay or in the Pentaxforums Lens Database, I guess. Regarded Pentax authority Dario Bonazza claims that only about 900 specimens of the SMC Takumar 1:3.5/15 were ever produced, of which ca. 400 had one aspherical lens element as a central part of the design. According to Bojidar Dimitrov’s (K 15/3.5 AL) and Hidenori Nohara’s findings, the ca. 400 lenses with the aspherical lens design can be discerned by looking at the focusing distance feet scale “7-4-2-1.5…”, which differs from the “7-3-2-1.5…” feet scale of the non-aspherical version.The item for sale here has the "7-4-2-1.5..." scale and, thus, should be one of the 400 aspherical lenses produced in 1974-75.

PRICE:
It's not for everyone. It might be for collectors, or for resellers (which I am NOT! If I was, I would put it out on eBay) or for Takumar enthusiasts (which I am). I bought this lens just after getting my first Pentax (a K-x) last x-mas and after buying (and loving) some nice Takumar lenses on eBay. I wanted a super-wide lens and had read up on all I could find about Tak's, then I stumbled upon this one at an estate sale here in norway. It's a good lens, but the field of view when mounted on a K-x isn't much wider than the 18-55mm kit lens that came with my K-x, so now I want to go even wider, and I have to build back up my lens budget....
It's been really difficult to work out a fair asking price of this lens, since it's so rare. But today I found this listing on eBay, which turns out to be the same make as my lens (see focusing distance scale). It's the first I've come across on eBay in the year I've been "cruising" for Tak gems there. My specimen looks to be in slightly better shape. So, hence, the asking price.
----------------------------------------
CHANGED ASKING PRICE AS OF JAN. 28, 2011.

TRADE?
I am looking to buy a Pentax 10-17mm, a 12-24mm or maybe even the new Sigma 8-16. I also need a good long lens in my bag, so I could trade the item for a good, long prime or zoom lens of the Pentax DA or FA series. but my lens budget collapsed when i cashed out for the beauty on sale here.... So, if anyone wants to trade or part-pay with a new or used lens of the above mentioned sort, I am open to proposals.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling or Trading

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
Free Shipping

Shipping Services
Mail/Postal package/UPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Other (Elaborate)

Return Policy & Additional Details
Within 7 days of receipt, the item can be returned if you find it does not concur with the description of the sales listing. Buyer pays return shipping.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images

Last edited by BjornAgain; 01-29-2011 at 10:30 AM. Reason: Added hyperlink
01-29-2011, 02:30 AM   #2
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 9 (100%)
sweet lens Might not be much wider than the kit lens, but it sure looks bad-ass!
01-29-2011, 05:52 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Bad-ass it surely is...
But it's a manual lens. So, if you're into the good old film cameras from Pentax, say a MZ, ME or Spotmatic, you get a much wider field of view than with an 18mm lens on a digital SLR.
It's a real super-wide lens then, and it's not a fish-eye, so you get close to zero barrel distortion.

---------- Post added 01-29-11 at 06:33 PM ----------

I've added a hyperlink to Hidenori Nohara's overview table of the different versions of the SMC Takumar/SMC Pentax 1:3.5/15 lens.
01-30-2011, 12:30 PM   #4

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
A very nice lens. I have two of them But this would be a shame to use it only on a APS-C sensor. For those who would like to see some samples from this lens (APS-C, 24x36 digital and film), you can check my site : Takumar 15/3.5 - Takumar - The eyes of the Spotmatic
BTW, BjornAgain, as I don't have the leather case for mine, I could be interested in if you would sell it seperately (I can't afford the whole lot)

01-31-2011, 03:11 AM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by CarbonR Quote
BTW, BjornAgain, as I don't have the leather case for mine, I could be interested in if you would sell it seperately (I can't afford the whole lot)
I'm sorry, but selling lens and case separately is last resort for me, as I consider this lens more appealing to collectors than to photographers. And collectors tend to want the whole package in one, preferrably with the original cardboard box that it came in as well. (Which I don't have...)
But I'll get back to you if I get to that last resort.....

Nice website you have there! And I agree on the APS-C sensor subject, that's why I am having to part with this little beauty and get some lens that can do the super-wide thing on a K-x....
Your 3.5/15 lenses look in nice shape! Are both of them aspherical or do you have one of each?
01-31-2011, 05:19 AM   #6

I know this problem, as I'm both user and collector (I bought the second 15/3.5 for its front cap), but I won't be able to buy the whole lot before some months (if I do not buy anything expensive), so that's why I said I can only buy the leather case. Now you know you can have a buyer
Both are aspherical, as all the 4 takumar 15/3.5 I saw on ebay in a bit more than two years. In fact, I'm not sure that non aspherical Takumar 15/3.5 do exist, due to these observations, I don't remember having saw any Takumar with the 7 3 2 scale (altough I saw the both scale for Pentax M 15/3.5 lenses). What I'm sure is that this lens is very sharp even at f/3.5 in the center, and around the whole image when stopped down
01-31-2011, 01:50 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Of course, you know what I'm talking about CarbonR...
So I'm sticking to what I said about selling "the package" for now. (You wouldn't want to have a third one of these sitting on your shelves, would you...? Better let it go... )

Re: existence of non-AL version: I've never thought of it before, but now that you mention it, I can't be sure to have seen pictures of a SMC Tak 15 with the "non-aspherical" focusing scale....
What does Gerjan say about this, I suspect you have the "bible"?
01-31-2011, 11:49 PM   #8

I have 3 bibles (one used, one new, dedicated to me, and one spare left) I could check in, but I don't remember Gerjan speaking about two different layers for the Takumar or even non aspherical lenses. I remember having read that Pentax left the aspherical design in the M period, because it was far too expensive to craft the aspherical element, but I don't remember where I read this. It could be true, as this period was the first times of the aspherical elements in lenses