Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-28-2011, 11:17 PM   #1
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 13 (100%)
[SOLD] Lenses with issues: Sigma 20-40mm f/2.8 and Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 (CONUS)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Lenses with issues: Sigma 20-40mm f/2.8 and Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7

Asking Price
US$140

Item Location
Houston, TX

Item Description
For sale are two lenses with mechanical problems:

Sigma 20-40mm D f/2.8 EX Aspherical IF. Price = $140

The good: This lens is in good mechanical and optical condition, and gives good pictures when it works.

The bad: When you mount the lens on the camera, 9 out of 10 times it gives you an "F--" or "A--" indicating it does not transmit the aperture correctly.

I got the lens from the bay and after finding the aperture issue, I sent it to a Sigma dealer for repair. They sent me a quote and charged my card, but 3 weeks later, when I received the lens back, I found a refund and note saying they did nothing because the lens has been discontinued and the PCB is no longer available.

Later I found a 'permanent' way around the aperture problem by using the aluminum foil trick on the aperture pin on the camera body, and in this way lens woks as it should. Information on how to do the trick can be found in posts #6 and #12 here. I just don't want to rely on a lens in this condition for event photography, and so I got a new 24-70mm.

Optically the lens is pristine, and the lens exterior show very little signs of use. I have the original box, pouch, manuals, and hood. The lens include generic caps, and a Hoya UV 0 82mm filter.

Please look carefully at the pictures. The last one was taken with the lens, wide open. I have many others example if needed.

Pentax-A 50mm f/1.7 SOLD !

The good: This lens is in excellent optical condition and the exterior has NO blemishes.

The bad: The lens suffers the infamous sticky aperture ring issue.

This is the most well cared Pentax MF lens I've ever had, but it has the aperture ring issue that seems to happen on few of these lenses. I guess Pentax didn't think people would still be using these after 30 years...

The ring is now on the A setting and the lens works flawlessly. If kept there, you won't notice anything wrong with the lens, but if you move it to manual aperture, you will have to jiggle it a little in order to make it come back to the A-setting.

There is a post here with all the information you need to fix the lens, if you are mechanically talented (I am not)

Lens include generic filter, generic rubber hood and original caps.

One more thing: I am traveling for few days, and the soonest I can ship is Friday. I will be available through PM if you have any questions.

Thanks!

Pictures of the Sigma

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Damaged

Shipping Destinations
Continental U.S. Only

Shipping Charge
Included

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Both lenses are considered damaged and are sold AS-IS, no returns accepted.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by cas; 03-01-2011 at 09:37 AM.
03-01-2011, 04:57 AM   #2
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
Sending PM. Interested in A50mm
03-01-2011, 05:09 AM   #3
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
I am a new user, so I can't get you a PM yet. You should get one soon. Sorry.....
03-01-2011, 09:15 AM   #4
cas
Forum Member

Original Poster
Pentax-A 50 has been sold. Sigma still available.

03-01-2011, 10:01 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 25 (96%)
Interested in Sigma 20-40

PM sent for Sigma.
03-01-2011, 10:23 AM   #6
cas
Forum Member

Original Poster
Sigma lens has been sold.