Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-17-2011, 11:05 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 33 (100%)
[SOLD] m42 Tele-Takumar 300mm F6.3 and GENUINE Pentax m42-to-K adapter (US/CAN)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
m42 Tele-Takumar 300mm F6.3 and GENUINE Pentax m42-to-K adapter

Asking Price
$85 + shipping

Item Location
Lancaster, PA

Item Description
For sale is a Pentax M42 Tele-Takumar 300mm F6.3 lens and a genuine Pentax M42-to-K mount adapter.

Pricing:
Lens and adapter - $85 + actual shipping by USPS
Lens only - $70 + actual shipping by USPS
Adapter only - $25 + actual shipping by USPS

I always absorb all PayPal fees.

Note: I would prefer to sell these two items together as a package, as they were used as a pair. I don't want to split up the family! However, in the event somebody only wants the 300mm lens I will sell the adapter separately. I understand M42/Kmount adapters, especially the Pentax genuine article, can be highly sought after and for varying prices. However, I ask that if you are only interested in the adapter please allow me time to sell the lens first. I will list the availability of the adapter if it can be sold alone, so watch the thread for updates.

The Lens:
Overall, the lens is in very good condition. Cosmetically, there is some paint loss at the mount-end of the lens. There are no dings or dents anywhere on the lens body. Optically, the lens is in excellent condition. The glass is clean and free of scratches and fungus. The aperture blades move smoothly and are free of oil. Click stops are snappy and sure. There may be a few specks of dust inside, though I would be hard pressed to point them out. The focus action is smooth and firmly dampened.

A unique feature of this lens is its double aperture ring. One ring is for setting the aperture value, which clicks into place like any other aperture ring. The other ring does not click, but rather moves smoothly from wide-open to whatever aperture is selected by the first ring. This allows the photographer to preview a seen wide-open and bright before switching back to the pre-determined aperture for metering. It's unusual and not found on many Pentax lenses, but its operation comes naturally after a few uses.

The lens comes with a screw-on lens hood, lens cap, rear lens cap, and a 58mm Asahi Pentax UV filter. The lens also comes with a hard leather carrying case and strap. The UV filter is in fair condition, though I wouldn't blame you if you replaced it. I have kept it on the lens because the hood is held in place by tension when it is reversed on the lens for storage. The leather case and strap show typical signs of wear for a lens of this age, but are perfectly usable.

The Tele-Takumar 300mm F6.3 is surprisingly light for an all-metal lens. I no longer have the tripod mounting collar, but as long as your tripod is sturdy this should prove no problem. I believe it uses the same tripod collar as some of the 200mm Takumars if you want to replace it. I used this lens for photos at rugby matches in college.

The Adapter:
A genuine, real-deal Pentax M42-to-K mount adapter. I bought this directly from Pentax. The adapter is in excellent condition. One might notice a bit of paint from the screw-mount of the lens in the grooves of the adapter. The adapter comes with its original green storage envelope and instruction sheet. The storage envelope has a taped seam on one side; no big deal, just being thorough.

I regret that I can't show the rear lens element of this Tele-Takumar. Such lenses have the rear element recessed very far into the body. Again, all glass is clean and scratch-free.

I will post some test photos to the thread by request.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Good

Shipping Destinations
North America

Shipping Charge
actual

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Item(s) must be returned within seven days of receipt by buyer in same condition as sold. Return shipping must be paid by buyer.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images

03-17-2011, 11:38 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 16 (100%)
pm sent
03-18-2011, 05:30 AM   #3

Feedback Score: 11 (100%)
pm sent
03-18-2011, 02:45 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
All PMs replied as of this post. Both the lens and adapter are sold, pending final cost agreement and payment with first responder.

Any updates will be posted here.

Thanks for your interest, everybody!

03-21-2011, 10:19 AM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 26 (100%)
Nice lens. The clicking ring is to set the aperture to the maximum for focussing. Once you focus, you measure or stop down with the other ring bringing it to th desired aperture. I like manual stopping down better than the green button. I have the 300mm f4, and having the authentic adapter is a must to focus to infinity.
03-22-2011, 05:55 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
Nice lens. The clicking ring is to set the aperture to the maximum for focussing. Once you focus, you measure or stop down with the other ring bringing it to th desired aperture. I like manual stopping down better than the green button. I have the 300mm f4, and having the authentic adapter is a must to focus to infinity.
I agree, it's a fine, fun lens if you don't mind not having autofocus! Also, the large number of aperture blades (twelve I think, off the top of my head) gives a pleasant bokeh. I purchased the adapter back in the 90s when I was getting more serious with my photography. A good investment...

To everybody, the package is officially sold! Thank you, again, for your interest!