Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-04-2011, 01:40 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 64 (100%)
[SOLD] Pentax SMC-M 50mm f/1.7 and 28mm f/2.8 kit

Here is a pair of Pentax “M” lenses that every Pentax user needs—for film or digital. The famous M 50mm f/1.7 and M 28mm f/2.8 are known for being sharp (even wide open), small, fast, and a great value. I'm keeping the cosmetically worse 50/1.7 I own (and that one required repair) The 28 and 50 is truly my “walk around” kit since you can literally pocket the lens you're not using.

First is the 50mm, serial 2643926. I got this in a trade probably 2 years ago. Before receiving it, I was told it had a somewhat sticky aperture ring. It is sticky after sitting unused, but once you mount it on the camera, it turns fine if not a bit on the stiff side. It's that first “breaking loose” which seems problematic but isn't.

There is a bit of the typical brassing on the bottom of the aperture ring and about 3 very tiny flecks of paint missing on the barrel. It's used, but really clean. Focus is smooth if not a touch lighter than the other copy I have.

One note: If you look through the lens with a strong back light, it appears there is a very fine “coating” of very fine “dust” on one element. I posted a thread on it, and the consensus was it wasn't bad. It's not fungus, for sure. It does NOT in any way have an effect on contrast or sharpness. I've owned 3 of this exact lens and I never hesitated to pick this one up and use it for the past couple years. I really don't know what to call the stuff...

It has a generic rear cap only.

Next is the 28/2.8, serial 772150. I have tested this lens and it is working wonderfully

The condition is very good. It has more paint missing on the aperture ring than the 50mm with a couple small marks on the barrel. There is one nick on the outside of the filter ring (arrow in a picture below) and more minor paint loss around the filter ring.

Aperture ring works perfectly, focus is smooth like an M should be.

Two notes on this lens: One, it has the same dust(?) inside as the 50mm, although less. The other M28 I'm keeping has it, too, in the same area and to the same degree...so I'm thinking it's common in these lenses. Two, when I was photographing it, I forgot about the protruding rear glass and it slipped off the lens cap I was using to hold it up and there is a human-hair-width 2mm-long squiggly scratch on the center of the rear element's coating It's not deep at all, almost like a cleaning mark. I can't even get a picture of it, and you can't “catch” a fingernail in it. Shooting almost directly into the sun, I can't get the scratch to cause a flare or anything.

This lens comes with its correct sleeping bag (in perhaps 6/10 shape) and a broken-but-usable front Pentax cap.

I'd like $90 for the pair + actual shipping. Normally, I'd ask $50 for the 50 and somewhere from $50-60 for the 28, but due to my idiocy with the 28 and the sticky ring on the 50, I'll take off a couple bucks International shipping is possible, but since the value is high enough that I'd like tracking/indemnity coverage in case of loss/damage, it will have to go Priority ($30 or so but contact me for an exact quote). CONUS is preferred but I'll ship elsewhere at cost.

If there's a buyer for each, I can split them up. This is a fantastic beginner kit (or let's be honest...it's a great pair of lenses for any skill level) so it might save a few dollars and days having them shipped at the same time and from the same person. Everyone needs a "nifty fifty" and a sharp 28mm.

No trades at the moment...just freeing up space and cash. Summer is here so it's time to work on the car. Winter is for gathering lenses

06-05-2011, 04:20 AM   #2
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
What shiping to Ireland with USPS first class price.
06-05-2011, 09:25 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sending a PM with shipping estimate...
06-06-2011, 03:52 AM   #4

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
shipping estimate for australia??

06-06-2011, 07:10 PM   #5

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
Is one of or both still available?

Basically just as this post title asks...is one or both still available?

I'm quite interested but short on monies now but should soon have some funds available...just posted on my main forum, dpreview, regarding what my next lens should be and the 50mm f/1.7 came up as a good option.

If I'm not mistaken I think I read somewhere/was told that it is a manual only...is this correct? And the additional 28mm may be interesting to have, as well.
06-06-2011, 09:46 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Robboa Quote
shipping estimate for australia??
Sending you a PM in a second...but I think you need 3 posts to send one back. I think it's 3...
QuoteOriginally posted by CTR01 Quote
Basically just as this post title asks...is one or both still available?

I'm quite interested but short on monies now but should soon have some funds available...just posted on my main forum, dpreview, regarding what my next lens should be and the 50mm f/1.7 came up as a good option.

If I'm not mistaken I think I read somewhere/was told that it is a manual only...is this correct? And the additional 28mm may be interesting to have, as well.
Both are still available

As an M lens (or you may see them referred to as "PK" or "non-A"), you'll need to select the aperture setting on the lens itself, push the AE/Green Button depending on body, and focus the lens. It gets to be a habit after a while...I don't mind it, but I don't turn down auto aperture lenses if I find one cheap enough

The 28 is a great lens since you can set it to f/8, prefocus (called "hyperfocal distance"), and you can shoot one-handed

I can't see ever not having a manual focus 28 and 50, whether M or A...they're just so small and so good, what could possibly replace them?
06-10-2011, 11:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Friday up

I'm willing to split the lenses since it seems few are interested in both. Take one, take two, take some Adaptall stuff as well.

$50 for the 28mm on its own...$40 for the 50mm by itself. They are $10 apiece below others I see for sale in the Marketplace

06-14-2011, 08:56 PM   #8

Feedback Score: 4 (100%)
PM sent
06-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I took some pictures with these lenses the other day if anyone would be interested in seeing some examples. They're nothing special but I only processed them from Raw to JPG with little editing so you can see how they perform.

It's difficult hitting the f/2 half-stop on the 50mm lens, to be honest. But I picked it up just now, and the aperture ring works very well--it's only a bit sticky around f/2

I love when things repair themselves Normally the ring is "frozen" and needs to mounted to a camera to "break it free" before its first use of the day, then it works fine. Strange, since it's pretty humid today...

6-21-11 Both lenses are pending payment.

Last edited by ryan s; 06-20-2011 at 11:31 PM.