Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-16-2011, 03:14 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 31 (100%)
[SOLD] SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 (m42) - De-Yellowed! (US)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
SMC Takumar 50mm f1.4 (m42) - De-Yellowed!

Asking Price
$75, Shipped and PP'ed

Item Location
Lancaster, PA

Item Description
For sale is a screw-mount (m42) Pentax Super Multi Coated Takumar 50mm f1.4 lens. If you're interested in buying this lens I'm assuming you've done your homework! For you curious readers, this is the later 7-element 50mm 1.4 (second generation).

Overall, the lens is in very good cosmetic condition for its age. Apart from a few specks of paint lost on the focusing ring there are no apparent flaws on the barrel. The screw-mount thread has the typical amount of paint loss from simply mounting and un-mounting the lens. The lens elements are flawless, front and back, and they are fungus-free. The interior elements have the requisite sprinkling of dust for this generation lens, but it's nothing that will affect images.

The focusing ring moves smoothly and is well damped. The aperture clicks are snappy, and the blades are free from oil.

As most of you know, Takumars of this type are prone to yellowing elements over the decades because of compounds used in the manufacturing process. This lens has been successfully cured of its yellowing, which I believe is demonstrated in the sample photos. The samples were shot with film, and the only manipulation was a little bit of density/contrast adjustments. (It's been a while since I've had to rely on an analog exposure meter!) Don't be distressed by the yellow cast on the rear element in the product shot; this was caused by glare from the overhead light, not the glass itself.

The test shots were both taken at around f/4.5 on a Spotmatic II. I briefly tested this lens on my K-7 a while back, but I decided the lens was not for me as I didn't like having to swap the m42 adapter in and out of my camera. For my taste, the contrast was a bit low when the lens was used wide open, but it becomes a bit snappier and sharper from about f/4 and up. I will say, however, if I were still using film and I were taking indoor, low light photos, I would love to keep this lens.

The lens comes with its rear lens cap, which is in good usable condition. The lens also comes with a genuine Pentax front cap, though it is not original. It is the push-on, hard rubber variety that hugs the outside of the lens barrel.

The listed price is all inclusive - the lens, shipping (to continental US only, please!), and PayPal fees.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Good

Shipping Destinations
United States

Shipping Charge
Included

Shipping Services
FedEx

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
No returns, please.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images

06-16-2011, 04:53 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 42 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
this is the later 7-element 50mm 1.4 (second generation)
Which is also the sharpest of the three that were manufactured. Great lens!!!!!