Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-18-2011, 10:57 AM   #1
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 85 (100%)
[SOLD] Sigma 17-70mm 1st-gen (relisting) (Worldwide)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Sigma 17-70mm 1st-gen (relisting)

Asking Price
$300

Item Location
Oregon 97218

Item Description
I've recently picked up two alternative short zooms at great prices, so this one is being relisted.
My apologies for confusion, I am surely the only one on this forum who cannot decide on lenses!

The lens is in excellent condition; see the 3rd image for the light scuffs that are the only sign of being a used lens. Note that this is the early f/2.8-4.5 DC - no OS, no HSM, just great optics! I bought it used so no box, but caps and hood come along. Includes a very thin Nicna 'pro1-D' circular polarizer plus an updated generic 72mm pinch-cap (I'll toss in the older Sigma cap too). It's currently scoring an 8.4 on the forum review site; I would probably give it a 9 but I haven't reviewed it. I'm looking to use something lighter, and I now have a macro prime so 1:2ish in a zoom is less important now.

Also remember my manual-focus zooms which can be seen at - http://www.granitic.net/camsales/may11.htm - thank you.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
$0 usa/canada, $15 elsewhere

Shipping Services
US Postal Service

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
contact me within 10 days of receipt

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

06-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #2

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
I recently decided that the newer version of this lens was going to be my next purchase. However, this is very tempting. I don't really care about the in-lens IS or the HSM focusing. I was looking at the F/4.5 to F/4 difference on the long end. Any input from anyone as to whether this makes much of a practical difference in the real world?
06-18-2011, 02:12 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 74 (100%)
F4 vs F4.5 is only a 1/3 stop - on a practical level, that would be the difference between shooting at a shutter speed of 1/100th vs 1/125th (I'm pretty sure thats right anyway!). The depth of field difference at that point will be barely noticeable (the difference in DOF visibly diminishes as the F stop rises).
06-18-2011, 02:17 PM   #4

Thanks pxpaulx, for putting it in perspective. Probably not worth the $260 difference if the OS & HSM aren't big concerns for me, then, is it?

06-18-2011, 02:43 PM   #5

Feedback Score: 11 (100%)
Just to chime in a little, it probably wouldn't matter at all. I'd be surprised if you'd notice it in everyday casual/general shooting. And personal opinion, definitely not worth $260 just to get the newer version if you don't care about HSM or OS (especially since Pentax already has SR).
06-18-2011, 04:06 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 10 (100%)
plus the first version is lighter and supposed to be a bit better image quality compared to the OS version, I think?
06-18-2011, 04:36 PM   #7

Thanks for your input, everyone. I've PM'd the seller and it's all but a done deal. I even cleared it with my wife, first, so I won't be in trouble later. :-)

Derek