Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-22-2011, 02:35 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 64 (100%)
[SOLD] Sears 55mm f/1.4, made by Tomioka

A bittersweet listing :ugh:

Auto Sears 55mm f/1.4 lens made by Tomioka...$60

Pretty sure this is the cleanest one you're going to come across. This is a sleeper lens that only people “in the know” have found out about...and yes, it's that good. Single coated, smooth bokeh, usable wide open but not insanely sharp. It's just heavy and I usually prefer K bayonet lenses over fussing with screw mounts (I'm spoiled, thanks to Pentax).

I won't say there's “no” dust inside, but the 2-3 specks are hard to see. Focus ring is Takumar smooth, and the aperture ring is, too, but without the “clickyness” of a Tak. Has an auto/manual switch so it's perfectly usable via an M42 adapter!

There are 2 marks on the lens (arrows, below) from setting the camera down or something. Very minor, however. There are 2 marks on the lens cap, too, and are also very minor. Glass is perfect. Aperture is clean and fast.

Has a genuine Sears Roebuck (or Sears Ricoh?) front cap but the rear cap isn't included, sorry...it doesn't technically belong to me!

I also have the black TLS camera body it came on. It was my first attempt at resealing a camera but it takes a PX625 mercury battery, the viewfinder is incredibly dirty, and only has speeds to 1/500...so it's untested. Some brassing but good looking overall. Meter seemed to work well from what I recall. Just pay shipping...I can take pics if you want. (It's not that I'm too lazy to take pics to place into the thread—rather, the viewfinder is SO dirty and I don't see an easy way to get the top off, I don't think anyone will actually USE it. It's a huge, heavy, metal-shuttered, mercury-powered-needle camera.)

And a couple pics that are handy, and “I can say with 100% certitude” () that these are from this lens.

Wide open:

Probably wide open or maybe f/4, short extension tube:

Please be aware that is is a heavy lens, and with the camera, even heavier...probably in the 4lbs packed area.

Actual shipping costs determined by ZIP or country.

I'm willing to ship internationally, and normal First Class will be $15+ and Priority $32+. Actually, due to the weight, I'm not sure the camera and lens could go First Class--they may require Priority. Well, contact me and I'll find out for sure

06-23-2011, 10:49 AM   #2

Feedback Score: 19 (100%)
Bump. This is one the finest fast 50's ever made. It's exactly the same as the Rikenon model. If you could hold this lens in your hands you would marvel at it's large size and truly elegant construction.

This is BIG glass made to soak up the light. It needs a hood for best results. I can't believe no one is interested in this truly classic lens. Don't be put off by the Sears label! Sears sold rebadged Rikenons at one time. Many were superb. Tomioka was one of the very best Japanese lens manufacturers. I would buy it but I already have one.
06-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #3

Feedback Score: 18 (95%)
pm sent.
06-24-2011, 08:33 AM   #4

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
Pm sent

06-24-2011, 01:12 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 64 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jeff knight Quote
Bump. This is one the finest fast 50's ever made. It's exactly the same as the Rikenon model. If you could hold this lens in your hands you would marvel at it's large size and truly elegant construction.

This is BIG glass made to soak up the light. It needs a hood for best results. I can't believe no one is interested in this truly classic lens. Don't be put off by the Sears label! Sears sold rebadged Rikenons at one time. Many were superb. Tomioka was one of the very best Japanese lens manufacturers. I would buy it but I already have one.
3/4 of a pound without lens caps I have seen a couple of these with a Rikenon name ring, I would assume to sell with the Ricoh Singlex TLS instead of the Sears TLS.

Subjectively, I think it's built just as well as the Takumars. I'm tempted to put them head-to-head in an informal backyard IQ showdown before the Sears leaves my hands but the Super-Tak I have has a bit of fungus inside...

QuoteOriginally posted by magicshi Quote
pm sent.
QuoteOriginally posted by Alxndr Quote
Pm sent
PMs both returned with shipping quotes
06-28-2011, 10:31 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 35 (100%)
pm sent your way.