Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
07-18-2011, 02:36 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 26 (100%)
[SOLD] FA-31 1.8 Limited Read Details (CONUS)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
FA-31 1.8 Limited Read Details

Asking Price

Item Location
Forest VA

Item Description
I sold this lens on the forums a couple of weeks ago and didn't see some damage on the back side of the lens. I honestly didn't see them but the buyer wanted a perfect lens. I understood and didn't argue and did a full refund. I've got a good reputation around here that I want to keep. I would call the damage scuffs because they are basically fine lines of glossiness in the flat surface of the lens. I think I sat it down in my car on the console and it rubbed while driving. I none of it is down to the metal but it is noticable on the bottom of the lens body. There are no scratches, dust etc on the optics. There is a scratch on the cap as seen in the photo. This is a made in Vietnam version.

They buyer also stated that he thought that the lens was decentered and didn't want a less than perfect lens. I'm not a pixel peeper and I've never checked it on a chart. I look at the real photo I took rather than a focus chart to gauge a lens. I loved the FA-31 but I need the money so it has to go. I'm including the actual shots of the focus chart so that you can gauge for yourself.

I feel bad because I missed the scuffs in my inspection with my 49 year old reading glass eyes so I don't want to misrepresent anything. Take a look at my Single In April Gallery to see what the lens can do and look at the photos to see the damage on the lens.

Price is 775.00 shipped to Conus, pay via paypal...

Scuffs:

Cap:

Lens:

I've put the focus chart shots in my album for the center and corners at 1.8 and F4 as they were sent to my by the buyer. I don't know any details of alignment, distance etc, All I received are two files with the data. I've just cut the corners and centers so that you can see the extremes...

Here are my Single In April Shots with the FA-31..

Includes original box, pouch and paperwork. Also included is a B&W ND filter.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Continental U.S. Only

Shipping Charge
USPS Conus Included

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
As described no returns.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by VaughnA; 07-19-2011 at 05:40 AM.
07-18-2011, 09:19 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 96 (100%)
A few scratches just means that it was loved and used. Pristine lenses sitting in a camera bag and never used are another story. It's a gorgeous lens. I used to have a copy and it was my favorite lens. I f I had the money I'd buy it from you in a hot minute, even though I don't have a Pentax body at the moment:-) Good luck with your sale.
07-19-2011, 05:42 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
A couple of updates to the information.

This is a made in Vietnam Version.
Also included is a B&W ND filter.

Resized Versions of the original focus tests to show scale. I don't have an easy place to put files that large so these are the originals resized to show the relative size of the corners shown in the photos in the gallery.

F1.8:

F4:

Last edited by VaughnA; 07-19-2011 at 07:19 AM.
07-19-2011, 06:47 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 63 (98%)
I cannot see anything in your link
I mean the resized one

07-19-2011, 06:51 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 123 (100%)
The de-centering could also be because of sensor-shift. Was the sensor-shift enabled during the test?
07-19-2011, 07:20 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by manishved Quote
The de-centering could also be because of sensor-shift. Was the sensor-shift enabled during the test?
I have no idea how any of the testing was done. He just sent the files. I just cut the corners out of the files to show the corner performance. I never saw any problems in real world use.

Also fixed links above.
07-19-2011, 07:28 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 11 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by VaughnA Quote
I have no idea how any of the testing was done. He just sent the files. I just cut the corners out of the files to show the corner performance. I never saw any problems in real world use.

Also fixed links above.
I'm not trying to make things harder for you, but perhaps it might be worthwhile to do your own tests? Perhaps the piece of paper was not flat?
07-19-2011, 07:38 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by goddo31 Quote
I'm not trying to make things harder for you, but perhaps it might be worthwhile to do your own tests? Perhaps the piece of paper was not flat?
I'm not sure I have the equipment to do anything except a brick wall test which I don't trust anyway. The paper test isn't that accurate if you are using something like 8X10 since you have to be so close to align and that's all I have with my printer. My large prints for a recent show looked sharp enough for my eye, that's good enough for me.

07-19-2011, 07:39 AM   #9
jac
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 39 (100%)
And perhaps he was just looking for any excuse to second-guess himself on the purchase. I quite agre with loveisageless. A used lens is necessarily an abused lens. Good luck with the sale. I love my 31 and would gladly picked this up for the price.
07-19-2011, 07:53 AM   #10
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 33 (100%)
Perhaps the piece of paper was not flat?
Wait a minute. I'll get my loupe. Where did it go?

Not only that but SR has to be off and the camera on a tripod, all measured properly.

Unlikely.

You have an excellent used and loved FA 31 for sale. Tempting.