Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-14-2011, 02:16 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 65 (100%)
[SOLD] Tokina AT-X 300mm F2.8 SD w/ Case, Box, etc...

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Tokina AT-X 300mm F2.8 SD w/ Case, Box, etc...

Asking Price
$700

Item Location
North Carolina (United States)

Item Description
Hey guys,

Looking to sell my Tokina AT-X 300mm F2.8 SD lens. It's a beast lens, 112mm filter threads, something like 5lbs. It is manual focus, has the "A" contacts for auto-exposure on Pentax DSLRs. I bought it used about a year ago but haven't used it as much as I'd like so I'm putting it up for sale.

The lens is in really great condition (as you can see from the pics). Looks basically new, no marks or anything to really note. Probably if you looked real close you could tell it from new. The glass is excellent, no fungus or scratches or anything that will hurt image quality.

The lens has a great manual focus feel, only requiring light torque to turn but still buttery smooth as a manual focus lens should be. It was easier to focus this lens that I thought it would be. The lens lacks some contrast wide open, but still produces usable results (especially w/ post process sharpen), and of course has some creamy bokeh at that setting. Stopped down some things get real sharp.

It comes with the original box/manual/case/etc....here's what you get:

- Lens!
- 112mm protective filter
- 112mm screw-in lens cap
- rear lens cap
- big, deep hood that clamps down with a screw (reversible for storage)
- Soft storage pouch, doubles as a soft lens cap that fits over the hood during use
- Hard storage/transport case with shoulder strap
- box
- Tokina lens booklet

Here is a set of photo I took with this lens at the park, soon after I originally purchased it.

Tokina AT-X 300mm F2.8 SD

And a set of photos I took with it (and a bounced flash) of our young cats indoors. Who would have thought a 300mm lens could be used to take pictures of cats indoors!.

Ivy and Belle at 300mm

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
United States

Shipping Charge
$15 (includes insurance)

Shipping Services
UPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Check/Money Order

Return Policy & Additional Details
I will accept returns if the item is not as described, but generally for no other reasons. I do my best to describe the condition of items, and will try to answer any questions you have prior to purchase.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by arpaagent; 08-18-2011 at 07:44 AM.
08-18-2011, 07:44 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Price drop. Anyone interested? If you are serious and have a reasonable offer, let me know.
08-18-2011, 09:43 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 26 (100%)
I have all the Tokina professional family but this one. They are excellent lenses. For this range I got the Tamron SP Adaptall 300mm f2.8, otherwise, I would buy it. I only have praise for the professional line of Tokina. Have you used any TC with this lens, or are those shots at 300mm?
08-18-2011, 11:45 AM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 61 (100%)
Man, am I tempted! I just sold my DA*300/4 but I'm trying to hold out for something longer. Very nice samples, btw.

08-18-2011, 01:16 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 42 (100%)
Whoa. I didn't know Tokina made anything like that... How does this lens compare in sharpness to the DA* 300mm?
08-18-2011, 04:08 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 66 (100%)
And I thought I was done thinking of buying any more lenses for a while.......
08-18-2011, 07:26 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
I have all the Tokina professional family but this one. They are excellent lenses. For this range I got the Tamron SP Adaptall 300mm f2.8, otherwise, I would buy it. I only have praise for the professional line of Tokina. Have you used any TC with this lens, or are those shots at 300mm?
All of the linked shots are at 300mm. I have a SMC Pentax 1.7x TC, but didn't get out to use it much with the lens. I did shoot a few test shots w/ the TC, and I could tell a drop in IQ wide open, but the IQ improved when stopped down. I really love the build of the lens, it's quite a pleasure to use.

QuoteOriginally posted by dadipentak Quote
Man, am I tempted! I just sold my DA*300/4 but I'm trying to hold out for something longer. Very nice samples, btw.
Thanks! I'm sure the DA* 300 is nice, I'll still be holding onto my F*300mm F4.5, which is a lot more portable than this beast. Although I won't be building up my muscles as much...oh well.

QuoteOriginally posted by Ubuntu_user Quote
Whoa. I didn't know Tokina made anything like that... How does this lens compare in sharpness to the DA* 300mm?
I don't have the DA* 300, but I do have the F*300mm F4.5. The Tokina seemed noticeably better at equivalent apertures. The Tokina is a little soft wide open (pretty good detail but loses some contrast), very nice at F4, and REALLY sharp at F5.6. I did not expect it to be sharper than my trusty F*, so that was an interesting surprise. But it is significantly larger/heavier and lacks AF.

QuoteOriginally posted by stormtech Quote
And I thought I was done thinking of buying any more lenses for a while.......
Hah, yea I know how you feel. I'm trying to lighten the load at the moment, but it's always a battle!

08-20-2011, 05:36 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Lens is now sold! Thanks all for the interest.