[SOLD] Tokina AT-X 828AF PRO 80-200mm F2.8

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Tokina AT-X 828AF PRO 80-200mm F2.8

Asking Price

Item Location
PR (United States)

Item Description
Up for sale is my Tokina AT-X 828AF PRO 80-200mm F2.8. I bought this lens from matsuiyastore on ebay some time ago. The lens includes original cap and third party metal lens hood and rear plastic cap. I will also include a Tiffen Sky 1-A Filter. The lens is in good condition, very little dust nothing that affects image IQ, no oil on blades and no fungus, same condition as I got it. There are plenty of reviews of the lens on the lens review section of the website (Click Me), I pretty much agree with all of them, the lens is heavy (heavier than tamron, a bit lighter than sigma) its loud (AF), but due to its metal construction it feels solid as a tank as others have described it, so I wouldn't be surprised it outlasted some new modern lenses.

Shipping is included in the price. Shipping is through USPS Priority Mail, insured. I only ship to US and US territories.

Payment method accepted is Paypal.

Pictures of the actual item for sale:

With lens hood attached

Wide Open F/2.8 at 135mm JPG straight from the camera (Click Me)

Wide Open F/2.8 at 200mm JPG straight from the camera (not as sharp as at 135mm) (Click Me)

At F/3.2 at 200mm JPG straight from the camera (sharpness gets better) (Click Me)

Photos were taken under tungsten light, no AF adjustment needed on my K-5.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Good

Shipping Destinations
United States

Shipping Charge
Included on Price (read description)

Shipping Services
USPS Priority Mail (Insured)

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
All Sales are Final

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

08-30-2011, 04:30 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 17 (95%)
Do you know how this compares with the Tamron 70-200? I'm currently trying to search up reviews/comparos. I ask because I am going to get the Tamron 70-200 by the end of September, but if this is anywhere near comparable, I'd rather get this thanks to the metal body design...
08-30-2011, 04:52 PM   #3
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
Original Poster
Not sure, I have not seen any comparisons on the web. I posted in the ad some pictures wide open, maybe you could ask someone with the tamron to do the same and compare, or let me know if you want me to photograph something in specific and I'll take some more pictures with it tomorrow.
08-30-2011, 04:56 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 17 (95%)
How is the CA wide open? That's the main thing I see regarding the lens in reviews. And do you have any front or back focus issues?

08-30-2011, 05:09 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
How is the CA wide open? That's the main thing I see regarding the lens in reviews. And do you have any front or back focus issues?
No FF or BF on either my K-5 or the K-x I had previously. Yes there is some purple fringing wide open in certain conditions, mostly if shooting an object with a very strong light source behind it, which you shouldn't do anyways, K-5 controls this much better than the K-x, also a UV filter helps and you can pretty much get rid of it with post-processing.

Some pictures taken with it:

08-30-2011, 07:21 PM   #6

Feedback Score: 15 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by JinDesu Quote
Do you know how this compares with the Tamron 70-200? I'm currently trying to search up reviews/comparos. I ask because I am going to get the Tamron 70-200 by the end of September, but if this is anywhere near comparable, I'd rather get this thanks to the metal body design...
I owned both lenses once in Canon mount...

Needless to say Tamron is much newer design, it's smaller, handles better and AF seems faster, also very sharp.
Tokina, on the other hand is bigger and heavier, I didn't find build qualify is something to rave about though. The AF is noisy and somewhat sluggish but optical quality is top notch, it's as good as the Tamron if not better.

If I was looking for a fast lens in this focal range, I won't hesitate getting it. One thing to keep in mind, due to its size, you may have trouble balance it on a Pentax body. A grip is highly recommended, this goes the same with the Tamron.

Last edited by Bramela; 08-31-2011 at 12:41 PM.
08-30-2011, 07:52 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by mxlinn Quote
I owned both lenses once in Canon mount...

Needless to say Tamron is much newer design, it's smaller, handles better and AF seems faster, also very sharp.
Tokina, on the other hand is bigger and heavier, I didn't find build qualify is something to rave about though. The AF is noisy and somewhat sluggish but optical quality is top notch, it's as good as the Tamron if not better.

If I was looking for a fast lens in this focal range, I won't hesitate getting it. One thing to keep in mind, due to its size, you may have trouble balance it on a Pentax body. A grip is highly recommended, this goes the same with the Tamron.
Thanks for the comparison, the only thing is that at least I don't find the AF sluggish, you can actually feel the torque in your hand from the AF

Last edited by Bramela; 08-31-2011 at 12:22 PM.
08-30-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 12 (100%)
i owned the manual focus version of this lens, brilliant lens. It wasnt perfect; it had some CA wide open and wasnt pixel peeper sharp, but it was one of the better long zooms i have owned. Here's one image I managed to get out of it, shot wide open

08-30-2011, 08:32 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Nice pic adpo!

Last edited by Bramela; 08-31-2011 at 12:32 PM.
08-30-2011, 09:05 PM   #10
Forum Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by liukaitc Quote
I saw his review a moment ago too. now it is gone. I think he removed later.
Ok, weird.

---------- Post added 08-30-11 at 10:11 PM ----------

Made a video, sorry if it is a bit bad quality but its hard to handle both things at the same time, should give you an idea of AF speed.
http://zetamugamma.org/tokina/IMG_0741.MOV

Last edited by epa4wd; 08-30-2011 at 10:13 PM.
08-31-2011, 07:16 AM   #11

Feedback Score: 7 (100%)
Sorry...hopefully the bumps will keep you on top!

The review was there. I asked the mods to remove it. User may have removed it too.
08-31-2011, 09:19 AM - 1 Like   #12
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 26 (100%)
Apology for the hijacking of the FOR SALE thread!

Hi guys/gals: I want to apologize first because my comments created an opportunity for hijacking this thread. The least I want is to cause the seller to be affected by it. I want to clarify several things:
1) I don't own or have owned the lens for sale here.
2) The comment above is my honest expression based on two Tokina AF lenses I have, the 28-70mm f2.6-2.8 and the 19-35mm, both excellent lens.
3) I was surprisd by J-rod comment about my evaluation of this lens and asked him to clarify or PM me directly, because I have had not owned this lens. I then visited the post that allows review of this lens and indeed found a nasty review by me. That was a surprise (my wife calls this: beginning of Alzeheimer, but I refuse to go there regardless of the age).
4) I deleted the post because it was a mistake. At first, I did not intend to review this lens for sale here. I do not even remember the lens I was reviewing because I bought a lens o Ebay that was probably in this same focal lenght, but it was not AF nor f2.8. I returned the lens immediately and moved on. I wrote the review in the wrong place, that is the reason I deleted. Leaving it there would have cause more harm than its deletion.
5) I apologize again to the seller for this issue. My intention has always been to provide my opinion on things that can help others, not to denigrate or consagrate anything.
Thanks to J-rod, his vigilante attitude is very helpful to maintain this forum truthful. Sorry if this confusion created any inconvenient to anyone. Sincerely, Pepe
08-31-2011, 10:09 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
No problem guys, I appreciate your help. Hopefully the lens finds a good home.
08-31-2011, 12:31 PM   #14
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 59 (100%)
Well guys, I have deleted a number of posts here, to try and get this thread back to it's rightful place.
I spoke to Pepe via PM and, as he states above, the whole thing seems to have been a misunderstanding.

The item listed is a very worthy item for purchase and I think epa4wd deserves every positive support to sell his item.
Thanks for all your cooperation, guys.
08-31-2011, 12:37 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks Bramela

and guys I'm open to negotiation if you think $480 is too much, PM me your offers.

Thanks again.

---------- Post added 08-31-11 at 12:55 PM ----------

Lens sold