Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-06-2011, 09:22 PM   #1
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 11 (100%)
[SOLD] Canon fd 200mm F4 macro 1:1 - Rare, Canon FD legend converted to Pentax mount

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Canon fd 200mm F4 macro 1:1 - Rare, Canon FD legend converted to Pentax mount

Asking Price
$200

Item Location
Richmond, British Columbia (Canada)

Item Description
Background
Uncommon and expensive when new, this is THE Canon macro lens to have. Designed by Canon to outperform the Nikon 200mm F4.0 Micro-Nikkor, the Canon succeeded in being better optically and being a much easier lens to use. It offers 1:1 macro capability without the use of extenders or tubes but with the added bonus of the greater working distance of a long telephoto. This lens is a classic of the Canon FD lens line-up. It is rarely listed on Ebay, and when listed, will still fetch upward of $300. I obtained this lens from its original owner. The aperture ring was stuck fully open, so I had no reservations about converting it to Pentax mount. I am not a machinist and used hand tools to do the conversion.

I have never been a macro shooter, and although I converted this lens some 3 years ago, I have used it less than 3 times and posted one image to Flickr. Bugs just don't do it for me.

There is one on E-bay currently available from the UK with the owner asking over $800 for it.

The Good News
  • The aperture ring is fully functional and opens and closes smoothly. The aperture functions much like a M42 lens in that there are no fixed f-stops but it moves continously from f4 to f22
  • The focus is very smooth. The minimum focus distance is approximately 1foot - 9 inches and this provides 1:1 magnification.
  • The coatings are in excellent shape with no visible defects.
  • The internal dust is minimal for a lens of this age.

The Bad News
I miscalculated on the amount of the mount that I removed, and the lens will not focus to infinity. It will focus from 1'-9" to approximately 50 feet. The Pentax mount is permanently epoxied to the lens barrel so it is unlikely that it can be removed.

The Offering
- One Canon FD 200mm f4 dedicated macro lens that goes natively to 1:1
- Lens converted to Pentax Mount
- Comes with fitted tripod mount that is fully detachable
- Comes with Generic front and rear caps

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Fair

Shipping Destinations
North America

Shipping Charge
$25

Shipping Services
Canada Post

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
No Returns

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images

11-07-2011, 02:07 PM   #2
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 11 (100%)
Original Poster
All PM's responded to.
Lens is on hold until this Friday for a local pick-up to excanonfd