Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-29-2011, 08:39 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 95 (100%)
Inexpensive lenses: Tokina AF 70-210mm, Helios 44M-4, Adaptall 70-150mm f3.5

Tokina AF 70-210mm f/4-5.6 - $49 plus $8 for shipping SOLD
Zenit Helios 44M-4 58mm f/2 - $19 plus $6 for shipping SOLD
Tamron Adaptall BBAR Multi Coated 70-150mm f/3.5 lens - $19 plus $7 for shipping SOLD

Here we have three inexpensive but nice lenses, all with some minor issues that make them extra "affordable". ;-) They won't get me to a K5, but hopefully soon I'll be able to see my desk. Shipping prices above are in the CONUS; international shipping is available but please ask for rates to your country. I am always happy to take a lens back if you find it other than as described, but internationally that gets a bit expensive with the shipping costs and all. I am sure we will be able to work something out. I will not mark lenses as "gifts" for customs, sorry. Shipping for 2 or more items is $10.70 - that includes my Rikenon XR zoom lens available here: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/photographic-equipment-sale/165221-sale-u...nual-zoom.html

The Tokina AF 70-210 really surprised me with its excellent colors and decent sharpness all the way out to the end of its range. Autofocus is noisy but pretty accurate and the glass is nice and clear. There are a few external signs of age and use, slight brassing and a paint fleck or two off on the numbers. The "issue" this one has is a dent in the filter ring that makes the use of filters tricky, although not impossible. I have meant to smash the glass out of a 52mm UV filter and screw the ring in and leave it, but have not done so. I do not have a rear cap, but (Sigma) front cap is included.

The Helios 44M-4 has a great reputation as you may know, reportedly a Russian copy of a Zeiss design. 58mm is a wonderful focal length, quite distinct from 50mm and definitely better for portraits. Try it and see! This one has a 2mm scratch on the front element that has not affected in any pictures I have taken with it, and also a large speck internally that I don't think affects anything and would probably be easy to clean out if you were feeling bold. Otherwise the glass looks good, the focus rings and aperture ring turn smoothly, and I do have two caps for this one. I should mention I have already modified it (reversibly) so that the aperture stops down immediately as you turn the ring; this is needed before one can use this type of lens on a DSLR in any way but wide open. So that is already taken care of for you!

Finally the Tamron Adaptall 70-150 f/3.5 lens. I almost can't bring myself to sell it for the market price, as its actual value is much higher, but I just don't use it much. I think of it as the poor man's DA* 50-135mm (ok, that's a stretch, but I do) with a similar range and only a half a stop or so slower. You even get a bit more reach, and a macro mode down to 1:2.5 magnification. Plus it is light, has a built-in hood, and an auto-manual switch. This is the first Adaptall model, not the later Adaptall-2. Still you can use the Adaptall-2 mounts for PK or PKA with normal function, and you could use it on almost any other SLR with the right mount, too. The glass is clear besides a little dust, and externally it looks pretty good too, although does show some signs of use. I cleaned the gunk off the hood as shown in the pictures, it looks better now. I have had this lens give me some darn good shots. Generic front cap is included but I am not including a mount at this time - ignore the one in the pictures.

If you have any questions about any of these, please let me know. Thanks for looking!
Nick

Last edited by Nick Siebers; 01-28-2012 at 10:04 PM.
12-02-2011, 09:04 AM   #2

Feedback Score: 2 (100%)
Tokina Lens

Hi,
I'm interested in the Tokina. Please let me know the shipping for Australia. Thanks.

P.S: How would you compare it with the DA 55-200 or any other zoom lens? (asking because this would be my first zoom lens )

Cheers,
Nish
12-02-2011, 11:04 AM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hi Nish - with 1st class international mail I can get it to Australia for $17, or maybe a little less depending on the final weight of the package. I'd refund any significant difference. I have never used the DA 50-200, although I imagine this Tokina would be pretty similar in IQ, based on the samples I have seen. I don't think it is much bigger but it probably is a bit heavier, covering a full 35mm frame and having an aperture ring. I also have an FA-J 75-300, and I think the Tokina's IQ is actually a little better. I'll send you a PM as well. Hope that helps! Nick
12-02-2011, 11:28 AM   #4
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 5 (100%)
PM sent re: Helios 44M-4...

12-02-2011, 12:23 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Original Poster
As requested, some samples from the Helios 44m-4 (no PP, except brightened the shot of my daughter a little). Check out those colors!

(Samples removed now that lens sold.)

Last edited by Nick Siebers; 12-04-2011 at 05:28 AM.
12-04-2011, 01:00 AM   #6
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 5 (100%)
Payment sent for Helios 44M-4.
12-04-2011, 06:28 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 74 (100%)
Tamron

PM sent
12-04-2011, 08:59 PM   #8
Site Supporter