PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Pentax K 500mm f4.5 SMC k-mount

Asking Price
$475.00 us dollars net to me + shipping and fees

Item Location
Utah (United States)

Item Description
I always appreciate a little background from sellers so here goes. I sold a 300mm f2.8 lens a couple months ago so I could look for a 400mm f4 lens because I wanted a little more reach. I saw this 500mm and bid on it not thinking I would win but I did and I still didn't have the 400mm I wanted so I was planning on using this lens for the winter.
Someone responded to my wanted add for the 400mm lens and I bought that last week which means that the K 500mm is extra and I need to sell it because I am not in the position of being a collector just yet

The body of the lens is in excellent condition and looks like it was rarely used. The glass is in good condition with a couple of tiny spots on what looks like the 2nd element in from the front. They really are small they look like they are about the diameter of a .7mm piece of pencil lead from a mechanical pencil, that is the closest thing I can think of to describe it. My thinking also is that looking at it from the front the front element magnifies the stuff behind it so they may not in actuality be that big. Maybe I am wrong with that thinking though? They don't affect the image quality and would probably be overlooked by someone if they weren't looking closely. There is no oil on the blades and the aperture clicks at each stop. The gun sights are still there as they should be and the front cap is in great condition. Focus mechanism works well and the original black case is included as well with the foam insert to hold the mount end of the lens in place when it is in the case. I can include the baseball bat bag w/ foam I made that I have been using to transport the lens/camera from my car to the place I am setting up camp if you want, it seems to me the most economical carrying solution thus far.

Please PM me if you have questions or you want to be first in line. I am firm on the price listed.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Good

Shipping Destinations
North America

Shipping Charge
$30.00

Shipping Services
UPS FEDEX USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Other (Elaborate)

Return Policy & Additional Details
No returns as I am describing the item as accurately as I can

Amazon payments for the money transfer so there are no fees or add the 3% for paypal.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

12-04-2011, 08:35 PM   #2
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 6 (100%)
Does it have a preset ring? If I am not mistaken I see a third ring :-)
Thanks,
Sunil
12-04-2011, 09:02 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 39 (98%)
Original Poster
You might be seeing the ring that loosens/tightens to free up the rear section for the use of the 52mm filters but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by preset ring?
12-04-2011, 09:25 PM   #4
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
You might be seeing the ring that loosens/tightens to free up the rear section for the use of the 52mm filters ...
You are right, it looks like the aperture ring comes first, then the focus ring and finally the third one you mentioned.

QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
... but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by preset ring?
I meant the additional ring found in old preset takumars that allows the continuous movement of the aperture, I do not know what exactly it is called as .

Thanks,
Sunil

12-04-2011, 10:04 PM   #5
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 26 (100%)
This does not look like a preset lens. I do have the SMC 400/5.6 that is preset and does have two aperture rings, it is really sweet to use, no need to use green button, you just stop down with the second ring, while set the aperture originally with the first ring. Great lens. I can see that this lens could work with the 1.7x AFA for a 850mm f8 wide open. If you stop down to 10 or 11 during the day, you can get really good shots at about 1/250 to 1/400 sec. Good enough to catch birds in flight. I may send you a PM if there is no interest on this beauty.

---------- Post added 12-04-11 at 11:09 PM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by tmsunil Quote
Does it have a preset ring? If I am not mistaken I see a third ring :-)
Thanks,
Sunil
That does look like a ring, but how have you used this lens, can you tell us?

Last edited by Pepe Guitarra; 12-04-2011 at 10:10 PM.
12-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 35 (100%)
K500 Lens

PM has been sent.
12-04-2011, 10:25 PM   #7
Forum Member

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
I do have the SMC 400/5.6 that is preset and does have two aperture rings, ...
Oh... it's a learning that there are Pentax preset lenses on K mount. Thanks Pepe.

QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
I do have the SMC 400/5.6 that is preset and does have two aperture rings, it is really sweet to use, no need to use green button, you just stop down with the second ring, while set the aperture originally with the first ring. ...
That's what exactly I was thinking seeing this lens initially, if it has that second aperture ring it could be used in Av mode at any aperture unlike the normal K/M lenses. That would have been very convenient. I wish if all the K/M lenses had that feature...

Sunil

12-04-2011, 10:39 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 39 (98%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Pioneer Quote
PM has been sent.
Replied!

---------- Post added 12-05-11 at 04:41 PM ----------

sold and shipped.