Pentax-A* (Star) 300mm f4 pro lens for 35mm -WORLDWIDE - REDUCED

Asking Price
see description

Item Location
Seattle, WA (United States)

Item Description
Pentax-A* (A-Star) SMC 300mm f/4 lens - EXCELLENT with original caps

This item is one of many to be offered as part of a:

See also my: Pentax-A 24mm, Pentax-A 135mm, Pentax-M 40mm pancake!

It is with a heavy heart that I find new homes for my beloved Pentax equipment. Health issues dictate that, realistically, most of this equipment will not be used by me again. I am keeping a small selection of items, but the vast majority of my collection will be sold and Pentax Forum members will have the first opportunity to purchase it, at fair prices. I take very good care of my equipment. In fact some of it must be considered New Old Stock as I received some of it new, in liew of payment, in exchange for helping a metro camera store move locations many years ago.

Worldwide shipping is available to Pentax Forum members with good feedback ratings.

7 day return policy on all items and 10 day return policy for overseas buyers (see full return policy terms, below). I do not profit from shipping/handling. Your shipping will be the actual USPS rates to your address. If you would like a shipping quote, please PM me, but due to the amount of equipment to be listed I would ask that you do so only if you are serious.

Pentax-A* (A-Star) SMC 300mm f/4 lens - EXCELLENT with original caps

DESCRIPTION
I probably don't have to tell you about how special the "STAR" lenses are. This is not an ordinary Pentax-A lens, but the Pentax-A* (A-Star) which exemplifies "the finest in Pentax optical and engineering." Treated with their acclaimed SMC coatings for maximum light transmission, sharp definition, and high contrast while minimizing flare and ghost imaging. (see links, below).

Perfect Glass, slight wear front edge of lens shade & on aperture ring, blades snappy, no oil, original Pentax Caps. This lens would be conservatively rated Excellent, with only a little cosmetic evidence of prior use, as described and shown. As with any lens of this age, I can't rule out a few specs of internal dust, but nothing you should find objectionable (mentioned only in the interests of full disclosure).

Being a full-frame lens design, this lens will still be useful to you if/when Pentax offers a full-frame DSLR. It is also sought after by Canon 5D owners who can use it (either for still shots or video) on that full frame digital camera with an inexpensive adapter. If you are a current Pentax DSLR user, you will enjoy the 35mm equiv. of 450mm focal length, with a maximum aperture of f/4 !!

No wonder this manual focus lens is a must have, especially for birders, wildlife, nature photographers as well as astrophotographers. [/b]

PRICE: $549, plus shipping. (Actual shipping charges will be calculated).

Note: Compare prices anywhere to see how fairly this item is priced. If you find a nicer one for less, buy it.

Pentax Forums Rating page: Pentax-A* 300mm F4 Reviews - A Prime Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database
Note: The review page "ave. price" is skewed by someone who purchased an abused copy for $80, but take a look at the images he produced even with a poor copy!

Bojidar Dimitrov's Pentax Page: A* 300/4

Image galleries for this particular lens model:
Pentax Photo Gallery (45 images to compare): PENTAX : Select a PENTAX interchangeable lens camera or a lens model

Flickriver.com (250 images, but be patient while they load): Flickriver: Most interesting photos tagged with smcpentaxa300mmf4

Don't miss the links above ^.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
see description

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
7 day return policy (10 days for overseas buyers)
Selling price (but not shipping) will be refunded if not 100% happy that the lens matches the description. Buyer pays return shipping. Items are described accurately and photos are intended to show you what you are getting, very well. If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by Retired Pentaxian; 01-04-2012 at 08:57 AM.
12-10-2011, 02:49 PM   #2

Feedback Score: 15 (94%)
pm sent
12-11-2011, 08:20 PM   #3
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 6 (100%)
Original Poster
PM answered. Still available.
12-14-2011, 01:29 PM   #4
Forum Member

Original Poster
Bump for a price reduction!

12-15-2011, 03:38 PM   #5
Forum Member

Original Poster
12-15-2011, 04:26 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 26 (100%)
Stealth?
12-15-2011, 05:45 PM   #7
Forum Member

Original Poster
Yes.
When someone inquires about a lens, it is traditional to Pentax Forums that they note such in the thread with a posting.
If they do not do so, I call that a "stealth PM" and then I will post that I have replied to one.

12-15-2011, 10:08 PM   #8
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

OH! That is what i always do. I never post here when I email inquiring or making an offer. Thanks for making us aware. I may send you a stealth PM.:ugh:
12-19-2011, 03:13 PM   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Has anyone noticed that this lens represents a savings of $500 over the DA 300mm f4 price (and will cover a full 35mm frame, meaning that it will also work on your film camera and/or the rumored-for-2012-release full frame Pentax DSLR) ?!?
12-19-2011, 04:20 PM   #10
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Remember that old age comes with certain limitations too, like unable to hold heavy stuff for a long period of time, vision correction that does not allow to focus properly, otherwise, I would have bought it.
PS. Just encouraging youngster to buy it.
12-20-2011, 02:05 PM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Thanks for the comment, Pepe. However, if anyone is happy with the results they get by handholding a 300mm lens (equiv. of 450mm on an APS-C camera) then either their standards are very low or they are a machine.

Most uses for lenses this long require a monopod at minimum. I don't see many of the photographers on the sidelines at athetic events trying to handhold their longer lenses. This is true regardless of whether we are talking about a DA or A* lens. Any way you look at it, a DA is twice the money at half the build quality and won't cover a full frame (sensor or film).
12-28-2011, 09:27 AM   #12
Forum Member

Original Poster
Incredibly, still available. Price reduced.
01-04-2012, 08:56 AM   #13
Forum Member

Original Poster
Priced slashed. I know that ONE of you that have contributed to nearly 2000 views on this lens is going to have to satisfy your LBA at this price!
01-04-2012, 09:38 AM   #14
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 19 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Retired Pentaxian Quote
if anyone is happy with the results they get by handholding a 300mm lens (equiv. of 450mm on an APS-C camera) then either their standards are very low or they are a machine.
Or they could just be reasonably steady, shooting in broad daylight at faster than 1/500th sec.
01-04-2012, 05:58 PM   #15
Forum Member

Original Poster
Point granted.