Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-30-2011, 12:20 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 3 (80%)
Cheap manual flash

Staff note: This post may contain affiliate links, which means Pentax Forums may earn a small commission if a visitor clicks through and makes a purchase. If you would like to support the forum directly, you may also make a donation here.

I'd like it to be cheap, powerful, tilt, swivel, have adjustable levels of power and be safe on a DSLR. Also it would be better if it were non-TTL so I could use it on my older film bodies too. Sellers - preferably from Europe, so final cost, including shipping, will stay low. Forgot to mention, price range 0-50 euro shipped.
Thanks!

01-02-2012, 05:57 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
I'm still looking, you know..
01-02-2012, 11:53 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 27 (100%)
I don't think you'll find cheaper than this one here, and I find it REALLY damn useful, like REALLY. I have a Sigma TTL one and I prefer this one.

Yongnuo YN-460 Flash Speedlite for Pentax K-7 K-x K-M K20D K10D K200D K100D | eBay
01-03-2012, 01:01 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Thanks for sharing this piece of information, I think I will go for the YN460-II. One problem though - as far as I've read, there are quite a bit of reliability complaints with these. For how long have you owned the flash and what is your general impression about it?

01-03-2012, 11:59 PM   #5
Veteran Member

QuoteOriginally posted by kcobain1992 Quote
For how long have you owned the flash and what is your general impression about it?
Well the whole thing with reliability is that one copy might be good but that doesn't mean all of them are.

But I have owned this for about 4 months and used it at least a few times a week for decently long sessions (I estimate I've fired it 2500 times or so) and I really like it.
My Sigma is a lot more powerful but it's SO powerful that it's hard to use in most settings and it takes a good 4 seconds between shots to recharge even with good batteries, whereas this cheap one can do about 4 or 5 shots (maybe 8 shots on lower power) before needing a break of a few seconds to recharge.

So in short I haven't had any problems and I really find it easy and enjoyable to use, but other people may have had copies that gave up quickly or something.
01-08-2012, 02:42 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
So after doing my homework I have acquired the YN-460 II for $46. If I like it when it arrives I might as well order a wireless radio trigger. Do you have any suggestion for these as well?
01-08-2012, 11:39 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Cool.
Ah no I haven't looked into wireless yet and don't know anything about them at all, but I'd like to so yeah you and I can see what we both find.