Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-26-2007, 02:29 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 177 (100%)
[SOLD] FS: Vivitar 28-210 Macro zoom f/3.5-5.6, Pentax P5

Cost: $69.00 + shipping (actual shipping cost)
Preferred: US continental and paypal users

What you get:
1. Vivitar 28-210 Macro Zoom with A settings for aperture and manual focus zoom lens with Macro at 1:4 ratio at long end 210mm. Lens mount is PK-A/R and I have tried it on my K100D and this lens is compatible to K100D and auto metering works and lens is in good condition. Normal wear and tear, no scratches and fungus is noted.

2. A good conditioned Pentax P5 slr film body. More information on Pentax p5 body in this link. I have not run a film on this body but I play with the shutter on various lens and the body is in good condition as far as I can tell.

Pentax P5/P50 description from bdimitrov.de

P5 / P50

3. Accessories
- 72mm Kalimer UV filter
- CPC Phase2 72mm polarizer.
- Original manual for P5
- Original boxes of Pentax p5 and Vivitar 28-210 Macro Zoom
- New set of batteries for the Pentax P5 body ($7.00 cost for me)

[Update: new additional manual zoom 80-200]
4. Hanimex 80-200 Zoom in K mount
A manual zoom lens in K mount with front and rear caps, lens hood built in the lens.

[Update: restored flash working]
5. Vivitar Auto Thyristor 2800 flash
Only good for film body, high voltage measured at 35volts with a digital voltmeter, not recommended for dSLR bodies.

Pictures of actual items:

#6 A working Vivitar 2800 flash. It was not working before due to corrosion in battery brass plate. After cleaning the flash is working as normal.

#7 Again the flash is shown working after vinegar and alcohol cleanup on brass plate. The voltage is reported too high for dSLR body by other users. Will confirm noted voltage as soon as I find a meter

#8 Hanimex 80-200 zoom in K mount (manual lens)
New additional lens to make the deal sweet for new year

Please PM me for interest and questions, or give me your best offer.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-27-2007 at 05:04 PM.
12-26-2007, 06:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
More information, added lens to the deal

Someone PM me for pictures taken with Viviatar 28-210 Macro zoom lens, I will try to take pictures and post mid-day tomorrow. And when I look up for information on this lens, I find the following average review, some good and some bad

Vivitar 28-210mm f/3.5-5.6 MF Reviews

Vivitar 28-210 F3.5-5.6 Reviews at Dyxum.com

And I learn that the zoom biggest drawback is on its weight and the minimal long distance when not in far end of the zoom at 210mm. In 210mm, it has 1:4x macro. I will have some pictures tomorrow for review. Instead of lowering the price, I am going to add one Hanimex zoom lens to the deal and try to attempt repairing the flash with corroded battery brass plate

1. Add an extra manual lens with Hanimex 80-200 f/4.5 Automatic zoom in K mount to the deal at no extra cost. This lens has a dot in the aperture ring for automatic aperture. Both Av aperture and manual stop-down metering works and I like this lens a lot though the less than ideal cosmetic due to missing original focusing ring rubber sleeve.

2. Attempt to fix the Vivitar 2800 thyristor flash with corroded battery plate.

I have the Hanimax with me today and here are some pictures. The zoom lens is quite small and lightweight and it has a missing sleeve that I repair it myself with mouse-pad and glue. I will ask for $10 to $20 for the lens and I add it to the deal for free to make it sweet for the buyer.

Here are how the added Hanimex lens look like and pictures taken today all hand-held with the lens on my K100D body in manual focusing shooting a flying bee for the first time.

#1 Hanimex 80-200 zoom f/4.5 mounted on Pentax P5 body

#2 Hanimex 80-200 zoom f/4.5 mounted on Pentax P5 body. Hanimex has built in lens hood, original front cap included.

#3 Hanimex with focusing ring sleeve repaired

#4 Pentax P5 body. Picture taken in long zoom with Hanimex zoom

#5 Hanimex test picture in macro

#6 Hanimex test picture in macro

#7 Hanimex test picture in macro

#8 Hanimex test picture

#9 Hanimex test picture in long end indoor

I will update tomorrow with test pictures from Vivitar 28-210 Macro zoom.

Warmest,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-26-2007 at 06:19 PM.
12-26-2007, 10:59 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Vivitar Auto Thyristor 2800 Flash is working

I can't believe it, after some clean up with vinegar and alcohol on the brass plate of the Vivitar 2800 flash, the contact is as good as a normal flash and I have tested 3 flash shots without a problem. I will test the voltmeter reading tomorrow when I can borrow one from my friend. The voltmeter reading as shown by others on the web are way over the noted 25 volt safety margin for the digital bodies, reference made in this flash page:

Photo Strobe Trigger Voltages

and search for Vivitar 2800 voltmeter reading. Until I can confirm reading less than 20 volt, I won't test it and I won't recommend trying the flash on a digital bodies for the obvious reason. But the flash should be safe with the Pentax P5 bodies.

I am excited in restoring the workable flash to the deal. I will update tomorrow on the actual voltmeter reading along with test pictures with Vivitar 28-210 Macro zoom.

update:
measured voltage around 35 volts with a digital voltmeter. Flash is only safe for the Pentax P5 bodies, not recommended for the dSLR body.

Thanks,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-27-2007 at 04:58 PM.
12-27-2007, 02:29 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Test pictures of Vivitar 28-210 Macro zoom

I did it in a rush this morning. Most photos are mistakenly or purposely done in wide open aperture to check on sharpness at f/3.5. I did mostly on the macro shot this morning as two interested parties want to see macro and I don't have time to look for better scenaries for the test shots. All shots are straight from my K100D with Vivitar 28-210 Macro in Av mode and some in Manual stop down metering. All are hand held shots. Post processed with 'I am feeling lucky' and 'light adjustment' in Picasa three:

I did this very much in a hurry this morning. And I had a cold in the xmas and I am nowhere near to my normal days of shooting. The lens is a bit difficult to use as it is my 1st day with it. For one thing, it is huge but the zoom is quite alright for quick zooming, unexpectedly smooth and it glides through the zoom position without modifying my AF point if one has steady hands and some patience with practice.

I won't say it is the sharpest lens compared to better ones but for the $30 you pay for a very inexpensive all-round lens covering a large zoom range from 28mm to 210mm in 1 lens, you get to compromise for the sharpness for the long zoom. There are bunch of pictures that I try to show the worst with f/3.5. I don't have time to re-shoot similar shots in f/8.0. Considering the package is priced at $69.00 with 2 lens, 1 good body and 1 vivitar flash and all the stated accessories and documentation, I roughly estimate $30 bucks for the vivitar lens, it is not too bad for the price. The 1.4x close up is quite alright to me but the stated problem of minimal focal length of 2.xx meter is correct as the zoom from the range in 28mm to 200 are restricted to minimal of 2.xx meters, roughly 7 to 8 feet. For outdoor shots like the above, it work out perfect for me as I can very much move close like 3 feet to the flower at 210mm. For the stated limitation of minimal focal length of 7 feet, I won't use the lens for indoor.

A slideshow for all test pictures:

Hope this finds a good home,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 12-28-2007 at 04:30 PM.
12-28-2007, 04:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
About the voltage on Vivitar 2800 Auto Thyristor flash

Reading on three different times around 34 to 36 range

I don't recall the official range of voltage that is safe for the latest dSLR, some people actually risk their digital bodies on high voltage flash and I won't recommend. I normally hear people talking to technical support in Pentax asking about the safe voltage but I don't recall the exact number to be safe.

Thanks,
Hin
12-28-2007, 05:17 PM   #6
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
I'll take the package
12-28-2007, 05:44 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sale is pending to Roger

Sale is pending for Roger. A nice member with strong interest in the package. I am so blessed by the forum. Tonight, I will swing by REI to check on Ultrpod II to see if I can get the tripod as a donated gift for the winner award of December monthly photo competition. It is my thank you back to PentaxForums and all valuable members in this forum.

Sincere thanks,
Hin
12-28-2007, 10:27 PM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Payment received, packing tonight, likely to ship tomorrow late morning.

Regarding the donation gift to PentaxForum monthly contest, I can't find Ultrapod tonight in REI as restocking is not done yet until Sunday.

12-29-2007, 02:44 AM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Packaging done

Likely to ship in the late morning

Thanks,
Hin
12-29-2007, 10:20 AM   #10
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Pakcage sent

Item sent on Saturday morning with USPS. I added insurance and tracking for you as a gift of extra $2.70 to you. No need to send money back, it is meant as a gift with $100 insurance and tracking number is in PM to you. Tracking is in

USPS - Track & Confirm - Put our delivery information to work for you

likely to show your package in tracking not today but sometime on on Sunday or Monday.

Thanks,
Hin
01-02-2008, 05:50 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Tracking shows delivered on Dec 31, 2007

[Follow up]

On delivery
It is quite amazing, the package was sent on Saturday morning and the package was actually shown delivered on Dec 31, 2007 for Roger for the new year eve. Quote on tracking

Your item was delivered at 3:09 PM on December 31, 2007

Customer care #1
I had an old copy of the flash instruction that is not well printed, here is the link to the URL

http://mattdentonphoto.com/cameras/vivitar_2800.pdf

Customer care #2
In most of the test shots that I did, I find myself needing at lease +0.3 Ev adjustment, some I even do +0.7 Ev adjustment in Av aperture mode in A setting. In manual mode, I do stop down metering with aperture set in aperture ring. If too dark in shot, I adjust the timing accordingly

Custom care #3
In all the gear in the package, I miss the free gift that I sent you which is the Hanimex 80-200 that I have it for free to you. Please don't overlook the not-so-great cosmetic in the lens, I find it much easier to use than the Vivitar due to the heavy weight in the Vivitar. I find the Hanimex is pretty easy to use and the Vivitar is both fun and annoying at times with manual focusing due to its weight but the focusing part is better for fine tunning in the Vivitar. Hope you have great fun in the package.

I took great pride on my packaging, delivery with tracking and follow up. Roger, please report back if all is fine in delivery.

Warmest,
Hin

Last edited by hinman; 01-02-2008 at 05:58 PM.
01-03-2008, 07:57 AM   #12
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Mark item as sold next

Marking item as sold next. Hope Roger can still reply if delivery goes well for him.