PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
SMC Pentax-A 600mm ED (if) lens/case

Asking Price
$2400

Item Location
Bend Oregon (United States)

Item Description
This lens is in VG condition with minor paint loss on barrel. The lens barrel does have some tape on it as you can see for protection I expect. I myself have not taken any photo's on a film/digital camera with this lens. I have however taken this lens to a camera repair / Retail shop and am told this lens is in good working condition. Smooth focus, clean glass inside and out, filter door firm closing and clean. Front pull string cover and end cover with case included. Case is in good condition and provides excellent protection for the lens.

Recently I sold this lens to a buyer who without first finding out that many film camera lenses would have more , in some cases, "Chromatic Aberrations " on a digital camera than the film cameras they were designed for. (predominately purple fringing on photo images). The buyer was, needless to say, unhappy. Relying on a downloaded version of Photoshop "Lighthouse", along with not adjusting the lens at a more moderate setting, the result was that the buyer was unhappy with the purchase and the lens subsequently has been returned. While agreeing that the lenses functions worked well, the buyer thought that something was wrong. Well, nothing is wrong, each lens has its own characteristics and you must learn to deal with it. I'm aware everyone here knows that, I just want to be clear.
Before you purchase this lens, be sure you want it 'cause if you return it out of buyers remorse I'm afraid the restocking fee is going to be....about....$2400.
I hope that all of you have something a bit more robust than the free downloadable version of Photoshop "Lighthouse"? If not, get it. Adjust your shooting some, I believe knowing that you will have to work a bit for your excellent photo with this lens your going to be happy with your purchase!

I will try to answer any questions? Thanks!

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
United States

Shipping Charge
included

Shipping Services
USPS Priority mail 2-3 days

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
This lens has been tested and found to work well. No defects. No return on buyers remorse.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images

01-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 21 (100%)
Oh, if I wasn't up for a retention board next month I'd say "yes" & would be sending you a pm ......but I have to wait & see if I'll have a job in 9 mos before I can part with that much $$. Yes, I know the lens' limitations, but I also know it's reputation & that outweighs any negatives. So, I'll keep wishing......

Good luck!
01-15-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
Original Poster
I thank you, hope all goes well for you
01-15-2012, 07:15 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 26 (100%)
What is the maximum aperture of this lens? 5.6? or 8?

01-15-2012, 08:18 PM   #5
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi,
Sorry, 5.6. I think I should go and add that to the description eh?
01-15-2012, 08:23 PM   #6
Site Supporter

Lighthouse? He meant probably Lightroom, which allows for some CA and purple fringing treatment. I have seen a recent review at the Pentax lens review. BTW, do you have some photos taken with this particular copy? I am interested and I am exploring a bit more to learn about this lens first before making an offer. All the other reviews are excellent (10).

Last edited by Pepe Guitarra; 01-15-2012 at 08:36 PM.
01-15-2012, 08:44 PM   #7
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Hi,
I have not taken any photo's with either a film camera or a digital with this lens. I think though I posted several photo's that the previous buyer sent to me. They are I think on my new member thread. Not sure how to get back there though...

---------- Post added 01-15-12 at 07:49 PM ----------

I just went and looked, I don't see any of the photo's that I had several other members look at. I will try to find them

---------- Post added 01-15-12 at 07:56 PM ----------

Here was one reply from the buyer who sent me back the lens:

Dear iron567,

I've tried some more photos, and they've all shown the same thing.

I've tried other lenses, like the Sigma 500mm f/4.5, and it doesn't have anywhere near the same CA. In fact it has none that I can see.

I've used other lenses that do have some CA (the sigma 150-500, for example) that *are* able to be corrected in post processing.

If you'd like, you can download a copy of Adobe Photoshop lightroom and see if you can correct these problems yourself. I was not able to do so, and this is not the first time I've tried to correct for CA.

I guess the bottom line is that I've tried the lens, I've tried doing what you've recommended, and it really hasn't worked. I'd like to return the lens.

This was one of the reply's to me from the original buyer. "Lightroom" your right. I'm still looking for the photo's for you.

---------- Post added 01-15-12 at 08:01 PM ----------

I found the site the photo's were in but are not anymore. sorry...

600mm Pentax: http://hacktastic.smugmug.com/Other/Gallery-2/i-RVJfZQr/0/X3/IMGP4351-X3.jpg

---------- Post added 01-15-12 at 08:01 PM ----------

Oh, looks like this birds is still there....!

---------- Post added 01-15-12 at 08:05 PM ----------

I saw several things wrong with this photo as I'm sure you do as well. This is what the buyer sent me. Had several other photo's as well, of an adobe roof and chimney that didn't show this much ca.
01-15-2012, 09:48 PM   #8

Feedback Score: 10 (100%)
May I say that I have that lens and that I am very surprised that the initial buyer returned this lens. That is a very good lens and at that price, it ia a very good deal. But one has to understand that you will need a strong tripod to obtain good results and do normal postprocessing (Cs5 is not comparable to LR2...). This lens is highly recommanded.

01-15-2012, 10:46 PM   #9
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 51 (100%)
While I can't vouch for this particular copy, this is a shot from my A*600...and I love it on digital

01-15-2012, 10:50 PM   #10
Inactive Account

Original Poster
Outstanding for sure. I can't imagine the lens I currently have for sale not taking photo's of equal value. Thank you for sending me that!
01-16-2012, 12:50 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 5 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Pepe Guitarra Quote
What is the maximum aperture of this lens? 5.6? or 8?
this is the same model that I have. It's most notorious feature is the'out of balance' tripod mount. The actual center of balance is
near the taper just behind the front elements. while I really aspire to own the newer FA* 600 f/4, this is a good lens model.
01-16-2012, 02:38 AM   #12
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 8 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by trigger Quote
This lens is in VG condition with minor paint loss on barrel. The lens barrel does have some tape on it as you can see for protection I expect.
It's actually primarily so the lens isn't quite as obtrusive to wildlife.

Recently I sold this lens to a buyer who without first finding out that many film camera lenses would have more , in some cases, "Chromatic Aberrations " on a digital camera than the film cameras they were designed for. (predominately purple fringing on photo images).
Actually I did a great deal of research before buying this lens from you. I wouldn't have bid on it at all if it wasn't for your return policy.

The buyer was, needless to say, unhappy.
Because the CA on this lens was quite bad.

Relying on a downloaded version of Photoshop "Lighthouse",
It's actually called Photoshop Lightroom. I recommended you try a 30-day trial of the full version so you could see that it was impossible to correct for the CA (after you suggested that it was); and that I wasn't being ridiculous in requesting the return (even though under your return policy it was fully within my rights to request a return without any 'valid' reason). FYI, I have a 'real' version of Lightroom.

along with not adjusting the lens at a more moderate setting,
?? I tried the lens at 5.6-16, finding CA at all apertures. In fact CA was pretty bad at all apertures.

I hope that all of you have something a bit more robust than the free downloadable version of Photoshop "Lighthouse"?
I assure you that Photoshop Lightroom is not free.

This lens has been tested and found to work well. No defects. No return on buyers remorse.
Just FYI, I didn't return on 'remorse', I returned because the lens didn't meet the standard of good reviews on this forum.

QuoteOriginally posted by rvannatta Quote
this is the same model that I have. It's most notorious feature is the'out of balance' tripod mount. The actual center of balance is
near the taper just behind the front elements. while I really aspire to own the newer FA* 600 f/4, this is a good lens model.
But unfortunately it is in my opinion a bad copy. I had a plate on the lens when I tested it to correct for the out of balance. Caveat emptor.
01-16-2012, 07:23 AM   #13
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 4 (100%)
Wow, you really felt the need to say all that in his thread, after he accepted your return?
01-16-2012, 08:08 AM   #14
Site Supporter

QuoteOriginally posted by ElJamoquio Quote
It's actually primarily so the lens isn't quite as obtrusive to wildlife.

Actually I did a great deal of research before buying this lens from you. I wouldn't have bid on it at all if it wasn't for your return policy.

Because the CA on this lens was quite bad.

It's actually called Photoshop Lightroom. I recommended you try a 30-day trial of the full version so you could see that it was impossible to correct for the CA (after you suggested that it was); and that I wasn't being ridiculous in requesting the return (even though under your return policy it was fully within my rights to request a return without any 'valid' reason). FYI, I have a 'real' version of Lightroom.

?? I tried the lens at 5.6-16, finding CA at all apertures. In fact CA was pretty bad at all apertures.

I assure you that Photoshop Lightroom is not free.

Just FYI, I didn't return on 'remorse', I returned because the lens didn't meet the standard of good reviews on this forum.

But unfortunately it is in my opinion a bad copy. I had a plate on the lens when I tested it to correct for the out of balance. Caveat emptor.
Thank you, this has been very helpful. Since I only have seen ONE photo with this lens, I am going to pass.
01-16-2012, 08:14 AM   #15
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 8 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by Philoslothical Quote
Wow, you really felt the need to say all that in his thread, after he accepted your return?
I wouldn't have bought it without the return policy. It was $3k when I purchased it. To be honest I was surprised that the seller was using my pictures without my permission and mischaracterizing me as a buyer.