PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Acratech GV2 Ballhead

Asking Price
$300

Item Location
Arizona (United States)

Item Description
I have an Acratech GV2 Ballhead available for sale. It is in like new condition (there is one slight screw mark on the bottom of the base from a tripod head tightening screw). I acquired it paired with a leveling base (which was my reason for the acquisition). Since I already have a Acratech GP Ballhead, I am making the GV2 available here on the Marketplace. The clamp is the Acra-Swiss style, and accepts the Acra-Swiss Quick Release plates (not included). All rubber knobs, very stable ballhead. Compatible with Kirk, Arca, R.R.S., and many other QR plates. Fits all standard tripods (1/4-20 and 3/8-16 threads). Oilless and greaseless ball will not attract or hold dirt and debris.

Two images are included - one of the unit, and one of the base showing the slight screw markings under the word "product".

The original price is $370 from Acratech, therefore this represents a 20% reduction.

Included are the following items:
  • Original Packing Box
  • Instructions
  • Original Allen Wrench
  • Brass 1/4-20 to 3/8-16 reducing bushing

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Like New

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
~ $10 (within US)

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
Check/Money Order

Return Policy & Additional Details
Not as described

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images

Last edited by interested_observer; 03-03-2012 at 12:53 PM.
03-02-2012, 06:31 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 65 (100%)
I get a little confused when I look at the different Acratech head models.

From what I can tell from their website, the only difference between the GP and the GV2 is that the GP can be used as a pano head.

Since you own both, could you describe the differences of these 2 heads?
03-03-2012, 09:33 AM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 6 (100%)
Original Poster
Morning Storm,

Certainly, and I do understand your confusion as I had the same questions. The functional difference between the Acratech GP and GV2 ballheads is the GP is able to be inverted and thus becomes a panning head. Let me explain a bit on this..
To pan level without perfectly leveling the tripod first, the panning assembly needs to be ABOVE the ball, thus you are panning perpendicular around the vertical axis (i.e., level).
To accomplish this, Acratech made a small but brilliant change in the design of the GV2 - since the GV2 was available before the GP, I am assuming here that they leveraged off the GV2 base (which makes perfect sense).
From what I see, on the GV2, the clamp is threaded, and thus screws on to the 3/8-16 bolt coming off the ball assembly.
The design change for the GP is that the clamp rather than being threaded, has a hex 3/8-16 bolt attaching it to the stem on ball, which has been modified from a threaded bolt, to a footed stem attachment that accepts a 3/8-16 bolt. In the standard configuration this footed stem assembly accepts the bolt holding on the clamp. In the inverted configuration this footed assembly screws (accepts the 3/8-16 or 1/4-20) onto the bolt from the tripod (hence the need for the foot to provide a wider base for sitting on the top of the tripod providing stability), and the clamp is then bolted in to the panning base, which is now sitting on top of the ball, thus making it a panning head.
The person I acquired this from, purchased it before the GP was available and bought both the GV2 and the leveling base, to perform the same function (as the now available GP). The person I acquired it from, now has kids and went to a video head. I bought the set for the leveling base to sit under my Nodal Ninja Panorama head so that I would not have to perfectly level the tripod before I shot multi-row stitched panoramas. I got spoiled from using the GP, so I finally broke down and went looking for a Acratech leveling base.

The GP and GV2 essentially look the same. The differences are all hidden under the clamp assembly - the difference in design that provides the additional functionality. See the attached image - the GV2 is on the left with the GP on the right. Look at the underside of the clamp and you can see the difference in how the clamp attaches - the GP has the additional foot to act as a base when the unit is inverted and the clamp is attached to the bottom base of the unit. The rest of the unit - shares the same design, precision machining. The only other difference is the degree markings around the base - with the GP having the markings both right side up and up side down - to be readable in both configurations. Both act as a ballhead and as a gimble head, hold the same amount of weight, weight the same, look the same, and operates the same - same look and feel.

I know that the Acratech products are a tad more expensive, however their design, construction and machining are exquisite from an engineering standpoint. They are practically indestructible and built for a lifetime's use. Sorry for the marketing pitch (an no I do not own any Acratech stock), but I just really like their products - they really work for me - first time, every time, all the time. From a concept of operations view, they are drop dead simple to use.

Attached Images

Last edited by interested_observer; 03-03-2012 at 12:56 PM.
03-03-2012, 12:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 65 (100%)
Wow - thanks for the detailed explanation I_O - I now fully understand the differences.

Of course, I just spent $250 on a different ball head last week so the timing isn't the best for me right now, but still considering it........

03-03-2012, 02:55 PM   #5
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 48 (100%)
PM sent
03-03-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 6 (100%)
Original Poster
PM replied - sale pending.... sold

Last edited by interested_observer; 03-03-2012 at 07:52 PM.
03-03-2012, 05:39 PM   #7
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 48 (100%)
Payment sent
03-03-2012, 06:39 PM   #8
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 27 (100%)
I've missed this by a just one hour !
Shame on you, Gary!

JP