Feedback Score: 8 (100%)
Right Angle finder Pentax A model

Wanted :

Right Angle finder Pentax A model.

03-31-2012, 02:10 PM   #2
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 13 (100%)
FYI: I have a Pentax reconverter A (not for sale). The unit has two shortcomings: there is no way to lock the focus mechanism for your eye, so you must refocus it every time it is used - no matter how carefully I insert and withdraw it from the case and mount it over the eyepiece, it is never initially in sharp focus. Annoying when a photo opportunity is before you. Also, when switching between 1X and 2X it is not parfocal. You must refocus at each magnification. If I get the 2X sharp then go back to 1X the view is slightly out of focus, and vice-versa. I'm not sure if this flaw is unique to my example, is common to all Pentax refconverters, or is a quirk of my eyesight, but it is particularly bothersome when doing macro work. I have considered purchasing a HOODMAN right angle finder just to see if it is better.
03-31-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Sounds as bad as the Seagull I got from Amazon and am returning. Were the old Pentax RA finders this bad?
03-31-2012, 05:28 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

No idea. I've had two finders. The refconverter A, which has switchable magnifications and shows an image right way around. I purchased it originally for use on a Ricoh XRM, and later used it on a ZX 5n, LX, *ist, PZ-20, K-10, K-20, and now K-5. I also had a Pentax right angle finder for my original Spotmatic. The eyepiece of the early Pentax models was smaller, so this unit could not be used on later Pentaxes. It did not have a higher magnification and the image was reversed left-to-right. Another annoying feature of both these devices: aside from not having some means to lock the focus for your eye, there is no index with tick marks, similar to that on one eyepiece of most binoculars, that would allow quick resetting. You must attempt to focus the lens, then adjust the refconverter if the image isn't quite sharp, then go back to focussing the lens, OR bring up the composing grid first and focus the refconverter on that. I found it very difficult to focus the device on the faint autofocus point indicators. Difficulty with this device is why on several occasion in the "Dear Pentax" discussion (grousing?) I've wished for a tiltable LCD screen, and better still one that could be unplugged then reconnected by a wire. After two hip surgeries, I cannot easily get down for ground level macro work as once I did without thinking it a remarkable ability.

---------- Post added 03-31-12 at 09:09 PM ----------

Second reply. I just went onto EBAY and found a Refconverter A listed for over $500!!!! Also, there were a couple of very early Asahi Pentax right angle finders, earlier than the model I had for my Spotmatic, that DID have binocular style diopter tick marks for setting the focus. Why ever did they drop this useful feature on later models??? Remember, these will not fit any Pentax autofocus SLRs because Pentax widened the eyepiece sometime before they introduced the LX.

03-31-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 11 (100%)
Would it be possible to apply masking tape around the barrel of the device near the focus ring and mark the correct settings for each multiplier?
04-01-2012, 04:20 AM   #6
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Maybe. At one time I applied two registration marks with white tape and a single line. Align the line and the refconverter was in focus for 1X, but not for 2X. Would need a second line for that. But the tape didn't stay very well for some reason. I have one of those electronic tape-label printers now. Maybe I'll give that a try. THANX for reminding me of this possibility.
04-24-2012, 05:45 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
...still looking for one

05-03-2012, 06:25 PM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
...bump