Pentax 6x7 400mm f4 SMC Takumar & 6x7 to K mount adapter

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Pentax 6x7 400mm f4 SMC Takumar & 6x7 to K mount adapter

Asking Price

Item Location
Utah (United States)

Item Description
I need to use this money on a recent purchase so here is a great telephoto lens for anyone interested in birding or wildlife or surveilance or astrophotography or whatever. I have never taken any pictures of astros so I don't really know about that

This is a big lens made for the 6X7 system from pentax easily adapted for K mount use with the genuine pentax adapter which is included in this sale along with an optech neoprene front lens cover and a slip on k mount rear cap. This is a really affordable option to get you into a long telephoto lens.

This is a very sharp lens and at f4 it is a stop faster than the k mount 400mm lenses which are f5.6 (with exception of the A* 400mm f2.8) I would say that this is on par with the tamron adaptall 2 400mm lens but I have not compared them side by side.

This lens is going to me manual focus and metering but I have had great success with it and with a gimbal type head it is very easy to get great shots. All of mine from the last 6-8 months are posted in the 300mm+ lens club. I have also used this with a 1.4x teleconverter and it is still very sharp.

Contact me for shipping outside of North America as it may cost a couple more dollars.
I will update with more pictures soon but here are some of the lens and some from the lens.

Handheld lowlight inflight shot

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Other (See Listing)

Shipping Charge
included

Shipping Services
USPS, fed ex, UPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Other (Elaborate)

Return Policy & Additional Details
No returns

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by littledrawe; 04-29-2012 at 09:15 AM.
04-28-2012, 07:37 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 11 (100%)
Does this give you the green button metering? Or similar to the M42 metering?
04-28-2012, 09:34 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 39 (98%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by derekkite Quote
Does this give you the green button metering? Or similar to the M42 metering?
Green button works on my K-7. The adapter covers all the contacts on the camera body unlike an M42 adapter so aperture is set on the lens with the aperture ring and when you hit the green button it adjusts the shutter speed accordingly.
04-28-2012, 09:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 41 (98%)
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
Green button works on my K-7. The adapter covers all the contacts on the camera body unlike an M42 adapter so aperture is set on the lens with the aperture ring and when you hit the green button it adjusts the shutter speed accordingly.
Truly? What adapter do you have that gives you diaphragm control from the body? My aftermarket adapter and the Pentax 67 to 645 + 645 to K adapters are both stop down metering - Av mode. Sure, I can shoot in M mode and press the green button to meter but the viewfinder's luminosity don't change unlike an M type lens would.

04-29-2012, 07:20 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
What adapter do you have that gives you diaphragm control from the body?
It doesn't that is why I said the aperture it set on the lens via the aperture ring. You're right about the veiwfinder it doesn't change, that is why I tried to explain how I have been using it in my post above. Thanks for helping to clear that up.
04-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 41 (98%)
QuoteOriginally posted by littledrawe Quote
It doesn't that is why I said the aperture it set on the lens via the aperture ring. You're right about the veiwfinder it doesn't change, that is why I tried to explain how I have been using it in my post above. Thanks for helping to clear that up.
littledraw, I wasn't trying to be a smartaleck or anything but so many people ask the same question over and over whenever a P67 or P645 lens comes up on the marketplace; does the lens behave like an A, M or an M42 lens? I guess I'll have to mention that the lens behaves as an m42 lens would when I put up my P67 SMC Takumar 300/4.0 up for sale on the marketplace.

That's a real clean lens you have there, I don't think I've ever seen one cleaner. I'd love to get this lens if I could afford it - tapped out of LBA funds, finally acquiring a Tamron SP 63B, 180/2.5 a couple of weeks ago.
04-30-2012, 07:30 AM   #7
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by excanonfd Quote
M or an M42 lens? I guess I'll have to mention that the lens behaves as an m42 lens would when I put up my P67 SMC Takumar 300/4.0 up for sale on the marketplace.
Its kind of inbetween because it doesn't have all the functions of a true K or M series lens(it lacks an aperture lever arm) but since the adapter is a true K mount and covers the contacts, Catch in Focus for instance still works, where I have heard it doesn't with M42 lenses (haven't tried it myself though). That adaptall sounds nice, I really like some of those lenses, have fun with it.

It really is a good lens and a great way to get some distance if you are looking for a telephoto lens.

04-30-2012, 02:57 PM   #8

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
PM sent.
04-30-2012, 04:58 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by maxk7dish Quote
PM sent.
Thanks, reply sent.