PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
SILVER FA 43mm Limited f1.9 (Made in Japan!) Serial No. 0003551

Asking Price
see description

Item Location
Boise, ID (United States)

Item Description

The FA 43mm f1.9 Limited is a lens which needs no introduction. But what you may not know is that the country that these are manufactured in has changed, from Japan to Vietnam to China. I'm not going to say that lenses made in countries other than Japan are necessarily inferior, but I would ask you why a company changes their country of manufacture. We both know it is to cut costs. One must ask themselves: "Is a company interested in cutting costs on a product is going to produce a better product than the original?"

The bottom line is that to many people, nothing but a "Made in Japan" Limited will do. If you are one of those people, there is no better time to snag this one. Prices on the FA lenses (including the used ones) will go up if & when Pentax announces a full frame DSLR (i happen to think it is coming sooner than you think).

This is your opportunity to snag a gorgeous "Made in Japan" FA 43mm f1.9 Limited in excellent condition, with original caps.

Look at images created with the 43mm Limited on Pentax Photo Gallery (click the image below):

First $699 takes (plus actual cost shipping/insurance). (NO GIFT payments, please). I will be happy to calculate shipping/insurance to your location (serious only, please).
Please keep in mind that the "average" price on the PF reviews page is wildly inaccurate when it comes to low serial number "Made in Japan" copies in this condition.

I will be happy to ship worldwide to Pentax Forum members with excellent feedback. Insurance will be mandatory and actual cost shipping/insurance will be calculated.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
actual cost

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
7 day return policy. Selling price, but not shipping, refunded if not 100% happy. Buyer pays return shipping.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
actual cost

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
7 day return policy. Selling price (but not shipping) refunded if not 100% happy. Buyer pays return shipping.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by cheekygeek; 05-04-2012 at 09:49 PM.
05-01-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 4 (100%)
lovely lens!
05-01-2012, 09:13 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 104 (98%)
Original Poster
People seem to be having trouble finding the price.
It's right there under the Pentax Photo Gallery thumbnail. Thanks for your interest!

Last edited by cheekygeek; 05-02-2012 at 07:14 AM.
05-03-2012, 02:48 PM   #4
Site Supporter

Original Poster

05-03-2012, 05:11 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 123 (100%)
Great lens ....
05-04-2012, 02:54 AM   #6

Feedback Score: 18 (100%)
immigrants work in Japan too (form Brasil)
05-04-2012, 06:51 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Original Poster
You are correct, a for sale thread is not the place for such discussion and I believe that your opinion that begins with "Personally,..." is a clear violation of Marketplace policies.

I would like to add that there are posts out there that demonstrate a very clear difference in IQ, and if you haven't seen those comparison images, then that would explain why you hold your current opinion.
Regardless, as clearly stated above, there are people who specifically seek a low serial number, Made in Japan, version of this lens. My price is not out of line with previous sales.

Here are a couple of images taken with this copy of the lens:

05-04-2012, 08:05 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 14 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
I'm not going to say that lenses made in countries other than Japan are necessarily inferior,
But you do say it, ad nauseam, and its quite irksome,

Why not just show the MIJ label in the photos and leave it at that instead of belabouring the point.

05-04-2012, 08:57 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I'm sorry you find my description irksome (although I can't imagine myself posting such an opinion as a comment in anyone else's For Sale thread) .

The point I am making stands: When I say "necessarily" I am stating that there are terrific images being produced by by lenses made in countries other than Japan. But there are also disappointed buyers like this one. Any the bottom line (as stated in my original post) is that for many products, the original design and manufacturing is better than after a company begins "cost cutting" procedures or seeks to "improve profit margins".

This is only a realistic assessment of how certain countries who have fine reputations in particular industries. Perhaps one day Vietnam and China's optics manufacturing reputation will be on par with Japans, but I don't think that is the case yet.

Most people would rather purchase a Rolex made in Switzerland as opposed to a Rolex made in Vietnam or China, even if both kept perfect time. I believe that the same is true for prospective buyers of Pentax Limiteds.
05-04-2012, 09:00 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
OP, can you clarify the accuracy of your statement: " But what you may not know is that the country that these are manufactured in has changed, from Japan to Vietnam to China." Please let us know when did Pentax shift the manufacturing of FA43 to China from Vietnam.

Also, please clarify this -- "[p]rices on the FA lenses (including the used ones) will go up if & when Pentax announces a full frame DSLR" -- How did you come about this understanding?

Thank you.
05-04-2012, 10:13 AM   #11
Site Supporter

Original Poster
I have no specific knowledge regarding current production of the 43mm Limited other than what I show in the eBay seller's reply above. That seller is offering *new* 43mm Limiteds and when I inquired about the country of manufacture they answered "China". Since this is not normally considered a PLUS as a selling point, I have to believe that they answered truthfully.

This is not terribly surprising to any who remember the how the Pentax K1000 film camera (offered for many years) shifted its manufacturing from Japan to eventually China. Along the way it was eventually made with lighter components, and today the earlier "Made in Japan" K1000s are the most sought after and command the highest prices. So it shouldn't surprise us that Pentax (and other companies) do this as a matter-of-course.

Regarding my comment regarding FA lenses, this is simple "supply and demand" common sense. Lenses which can cover a larger than APS-C image circle will be in higher demand once Pentax full frame cameras are announced and will go up even more as they get into people's hands. DA lenses won't cover the full frame sensor. I can't speak to Pentax pricing plans for their new lenses (other than to notice that they don't normally trend downward over time ) but for lenses that are out of production (like the FA 135mm I sold earlier today) it is simple economics that will cause prices to trend upwards.

This is actually great news for used lens buyers (IMHO) because it is doubtful that a well-cared for lens is ever going to be worth LESS in the future, than what you pay today -- making them a true investment and not just an expense. (And that's what I tell my wife, too.)

Last edited by cheekygeek; 05-04-2012 at 10:56 AM.
05-04-2012, 01:30 PM   #12
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 28 (100%)
Given that Pentax lens manufacturing is in Vietnam and has been since the advent of the DA lenses and Pentax bodies have been made in the Philippines for ~ 10 years, the reported Chinese made FA 43 ltd by an ebay seller is dubious. These particular lens does have 2 things going for it. #1 it is silver. #2 it is a low serial number meaning it has unique coatings compared to most FA 43 ltd lenses (according to some). The silver AIV lenses was sold recently by BH (recently dicontinued) and it sold for more than the black versions.

Last edited by Blue; 05-04-2012 at 01:37 PM.
05-04-2012, 01:38 PM   #13
Site Supporter

Original Poster

The original Limited box and Limited drawstring pouch have been found and are now included with this lens.

05-04-2012, 05:18 PM   #14

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
drooling over this will try to source fund. all the best
05-04-2012, 05:55 PM   #15
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 15 (100%)
This is a beautiful lens. You don't need to defend your asking price or your description unless something is misrepresented in your description. If there's a demand your lens will sell; I'm surprised people are asking about price and demand. I don't think Pentax has ever sent anything to China though, with current lenses being assembled in Vietnam and bodies assembled in the Phillipines.

Good luck with the sale and I'll be envious of the new owner.