Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
05-25-2012, 04:59 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 27 (100%)
FA 100-300mm f4.7 - 5.8 EXCELLENT cond. with box - (the sharper of the 100-300 range)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
FA 100-300mm f4.7 - 5.8 EXCELLENT cond. with box - (the sharper of the 100-300 range)

Asking Price
$135 AU

Item Location
Newcastle (Australia)

Item Description
Pentax FA 100-300 f4.7 - 5.8
There is a reason the aperture is in bold. No not because it is impressively fast - but because as is often the case with Pentax lenses, the slower of two lenses with the same focal length, is the superior one, at least in terms of sharpness, although with this lens, it seems it inherited ALL of the beauty we're used to seeing with FA series lenses, such as colour and bokeh, as say the reviews as well as my own experience.
The primary criticism of this lens is "cheap plasticky build" - but that also makes it EXTREMELY light, so it's never bothered me. This is my second lightest lens after my 50 prime, and is EASILY lighter than any other zoom. I used to own the FA 80-320, and not only was it optical rubbish compared to this, it was about 50% heavier too. The only reason I'm selling it is to get some high quality gear for weddings and portraiture, and because I would like something longer in the future - while I love the ease of carrying this, it's just not long enough for the birds etc I like to shoot.
A sharp picture I took with it is provided but the pictures in the review page do it more justice I think:

SMC Pentax-FA 100-300mm F4.7-5.8 Reviews - FA Zoom Lenses - Pentax Lens Reviews & Lens Database

The condition is excellent - comes with the original box which has some scuffs and creases but is still pretty clean, and the lens itself is blemish free. Autofocus is fast and free, I don't get any zoom creep with it and the zoom ring is unhindered and smooth. When I was taking these photos of the lens, I realised how good a condition it was really in - there's basically not a mark on it. It would probably suit a collector (especially of awesome FA lenses )
IMGP7379.JPG IMGP7386.JPG
IMGP7381.JPG IMGP7383.JPG

This bird was shot HANDHELD in JPEG (i.e. sharpening and colours were done in camera, no custom enhancement)
IMGP6553.JPG

100% crop of the same image:
IMGP6553-2.JPG

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
Free in Australia, overseas varies

Shipping Services
Australia Post

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Other (Elaborate)

Return Policy & Additional Details
Accepted if item is not in a condition satisfactory to that described

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by Quazimoto; 08-11-2012 at 04:36 AM.
05-25-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 26 (100%)
I have this lens, and almost want to buy this copy, it is such a workhorse, at 300mm i have some of the greatest photos (won best of show with one photo taken with this lens.)