Promaster/Cosina 100mm f/3.5 macro MF w/ 1:1 adapter

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Promaster/Cosina 100mm f/3.5 macro manual focus (aka

Asking Price

Item Location
Denver, CO (United States)

Item Description
This is the Promaster Spectrum 7 branded version of the Cosina-made "plastic fantastic" 100/3.5 macro. It also came under the names Vivitar, Phoenix, Voigtlander, Tokina, even Pentax (auto-focus version only I think). This is the manual focus version. It is a 'A' lens, fully compatible with all exposure and metering modes on Pentax DSLRs.

This lens provides a magnification ratio as great as 1:2 without the adapter and 1:1 with the adapter. The "matched macro adapter" is really a high-quality achromatic close-up filter (+4 diopter), and can be used on any lens with 49mm filter threads with good results. There is absolutely no visible image degradation using the adapter on this lens.

Condition is excellent, no wear, no damage. Some very minor surface marks here and there on exterior. Glass is perfect, aperture is perfect, focus is smooth, everything works as new. There is minor internal dust, no effect. Adapter is also flawless. The adapter comes in a filter case, and the lens has front & rear caps.

I have found it to be an excellent performer, I've just got several macro lenses and don't need them all. Because of the plastic build (which I actually think is an advantage -- it is much less prone to damage from a minor drop or bump that a metal lens that can get a dent so easily -- the plastic just bounces or gets a cosmetic scratch, this lens is very lightweight and is easy to always have in your bag without weighing yourself down with "one more lens". And I always keep the 1:1 adapter with me anytime I have any lenses with 49mm threads. (I actually ordered one of these adapters alone so I'll still have it after I sell this combo.)

You can also find reviews in the database (ignore outdated prices, they are unrealistic):

Promaster 100mm 1:3.5 MC Macro (Spectrum 7) Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Phoenix 100mm f3.5 macro with 1:1 matched adapter Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

and also out in the world:

Cosina 100 F3.5 macro lens review - dyxum.com
Cosina AF 100mm f/3.5 macro (Pentax) - Review / Lab Test Report

Flickr group: Flickr: Cosina 100mm f/3.5 Macro

Some of those are discussing the AF version -- remember this is the MF version, but same lens.

EDIT: One person read some of the reviews, and decided this lens is "loose & wobbly". There is nothing loose & wobbly about it. Not in practice anyway. Yes, there is the tinest bit of play with the extending barrel if you are grabbing it and wiggling it or shaking the lens violently. But why would you do that? Using it normally it is quite solid. Too much is made of the plastic build as if it were cheap and crappy. As stated above, I *like* the build and it makes the lens lightweight, easy to handle, and convenient to carry. Performance-wise, I put this one about equal with the old SMC 100/4 macro in m42 (which also only goes to 1:2 without help) -- except that one was metal and much heavier (and still costs more). (The 1:1 adapter from this lens works great on that SMC 100/4 to get to 1:1, btw.) This model has always been a bargain because it has been flying under the radar.

Asking $120 + $8 shipping (priority w/ tracking + insurance) for U.S. destinations. I'd rather try to find a U.S. buyer at first as those customs forms are a big pain and shipping out of the country is $30 minimum. Payment is to be via PayPal (I'll send you and invoice and I'll pay the fees), and shipping address must match your PayPal account address. Denver locals are welcome to come over and examine in person and pay cash.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
United States

Shipping Charge

Shipping Services
USPS Priority Mail + insurance

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Will accept returns if not as stated as long as notified within 3 days of delivery.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by vonBaloney; 06-15-2012 at 06:43 PM.
06-15-2012, 12:49 AM   #2
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 63 (100%)
Original Poster
bump.
06-16-2012, 11:13 AM   #3
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 63 (100%)
Original Poster
bump.

---------- Post added 06-17-12 at 10:09 AM ----------

sold...