Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
06-15-2012, 12:43 AM   #1
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 63 (100%)
Kenko extension tubes w/ 'A' contacts (price lowered June 20)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Kenko extension tubes w/ 'A' contacts

Asking Price
160 USD

Item Location
Denver, CO (United States)

Item Description
Kenko extension tubes for Pentax with 'A' contacts. They are marked for "P/AF", but please note that they do *NOT* support autofocusing -- that is just referring to the mount. So you can use your AF lenses, but you must manually focus, which is generally what you want to do with macro anyway. And of course they have mechanical aperture linkage and you can use fully manual M-style lenses as well with the usual methods of metering. 3 tubes: 36mm, 20mm, & 12mm, excellent condition, a few exterior marks & scratches. Comes with caps for each end.

Ok, so I've been having a bit of drama with these -- they can be a bit flaky with some lenses, or I should say some lenses can be a bit flaky on them as I don't think there is anything wrong with the tubes. (Sigma 70/2.8 macro in my case is irksome.) Others work solidly all the time. I've tried it on two manual focus 'A' lenses: works great, one DA lens: works great, two Sigmas: which are flaky. Found a solution that fixes one Sigma and improves reliability of other, but I don't understand why.

And please note that even when they are being flaky, metering still works, and you can still set the aperture with the body, but it may not report the aperture number -- you can actually count clicks with the e-dial or in live view you can see the aperture number change but it will have the wrong starting point (it might start at f1.2 or f2.4 rather than what your lens actually is) so you have to figure the offset.

You can read all about it, along with the best solution I've found so far, in the following thread. You can skip ahead to post #51, and read until post #62. In post #62 I sum it all up (I wrote that post just before posting this ad). Please read that stuff carefully. If you don't understand, ask questions.

Thread: https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-camera-field-accessories/113756-pk...n-tubes-4.html

***UPDATE***: We seem to have found a reliable and workable solution, at least for the lenses that were giving me trouble. I am not going to alter the tubes in any way, I'll leave it to the buyer to implement solutions if needed. (Just keep reading above thread for details.)

Ok, I've provided full disclosure -- you may have issues (which can be gotten around), you may not, and there may be issues with other as yet untested lenses I don't know about. It seems to have nothing to do with these tubes in particular, just these type of tubes in general. As noted in UPDATE above, a reliable solution seems to have been found, but your mileage may vary. So just be aware -- buy with eyes open. Given that, I'm selling these as-is -- no returns.

Shipping is $9 for U.S. destinations. I'd prefer a U.S. buyer as it is much less hassle, but will consider shipping to Canada, Australia, etc. Canada would be $28, everyplace else $38 or more. They will be shipped tracked and insured, period.

Payment is to be via PayPal, and your shipping address must match your PayPal account address. I will send you a PayPal invoice, and I'll pay the fees. As always, Denver locals are welcome to come over in-person and pay cash.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
9 (for U.S.)

Shipping Services
USPS Priority Mail + insurance

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Sold as-is. See description.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by vonBaloney; 06-20-2012 at 08:52 AM.
06-15-2012, 02:24 AM   #2

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
PM sent.
06-15-2012, 08:18 AM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 26 (100%)
Bamby's mother said to Bamby once: " If you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all."
06-15-2012, 01:12 PM   #4
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 18 (100%)
Just a reminder from the rules for replying in For Sale threads:

QuoteQuote:
Absolutely no price comments, whether positive or negative, are allowed about others' items
This rule is in place to preserve fairness for all sellers.
The only exception to this is if you suspect a scam: in such a case, please report the thread immediately to the site staff (using the thread reporting tool)

06-18-2012, 08:28 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
bump, price adjustment
06-18-2012, 12:45 PM   #6
Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 19 (100%)
Hi,

I have these type of tubes and they work perfectly with my Vivitar Series 1 105mm f2.5. It doesn't have AF but then you don't need that anyhow for macro.

Regards.

Last edited by gordon_l34; 06-18-2012 at 12:52 PM. Reason: punctuation
06-18-2012, 12:53 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by gordon_l34 Quote
Hi,

I have these type of tubes and they work perfectly with my Vivitar Series 1 105mm f2.5. It doesn't have AF but you don.t need that anyhow for macro.

Regards.
Yeah, as noted in the other thread, they've worked perfectly with all the manual-focus 'A' lenses I've tried and with my Pentax DA 18-250 autofocus. Contact has been intermittent on two Sigma AF lenses, but it has all been solved with a bit of tape (some foil tape, some regular scotch tape). I will probably work out something more elegant for the set I'm keeping...

Last edited by vonBaloney; 06-20-2012 at 08:51 AM.
06-20-2012, 08:51 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
bump, lowered price

---------- Post added 06-20-12 at 04:06 PM ----------

Sale pending...

---------- Post added 06-20-12 at 06:48 PM ----------

sold!