PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 APO 1st version

Asking Price
$360 $325
Item Location
Houston (United States)

Item Description
For sale is a Sigma 135-400mm f/4.5-5.6 APO 1st version (non DG).

I got this lens used from the bay because I "needed" a 400mm lens, in the same way I "need" a tilt-shift, a fish eye, and both a 77mm and a 85mm fast portrait lenses... But what I really need is to reduce my collection and find this lens a good home.

The lens is nice, well preserved and cared for considering its age, the glass is clean and the AF works fine on my K10D. The lens has a little of zoom creep but it does not extend all the way when pointed downwards (only extend about 1 inch). Lens has few marks in the tripod collar that I consider normal use.

The lens includes all what you see in the pictures: Hood, caps, and both a 77mm Tiffer UV filter and a polarizer filter. I do not have papers or box.

In the pictures I am also including two samples from a soccer game in the BBVA Stadium in Houston. I was sitting on the second deck on top of a field corner. The mascot was on my side of the field, while the dancers where in the center of the field (keep in mind they were dancing...). These pictures were taken at 400mm, f/5.6, hand-held.

Shipping is $15 by USPS Priority to CONUS only. Payment is by Paypal only.

Send me a PM if you have further questions. Thanks!

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Good

Shipping Destinations
Continental U.S. Only

Shipping Charge
$15

Shipping Services
USPS Priority

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Return only accepted in case of DOA or greatly misrepresented from this post

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K10D  Photo 

Last edited by cas; 06-29-2012 at 05:48 AM.
06-29-2012, 05:48 AM   #2
cas
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 13 (100%)
Original Poster
Weekend bump + 10% discount.
CAS
06-30-2012, 04:08 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 5 (100%)
Bump for an interesting lens. I hope you don't take this the wrong way but your sample photos do not show the lens in a flattering light

1/45th of a second for the top image is much too slow to show whether the lens can deliver on sharpness (at F5.6 wide open it cannot - F6.3/F8 it can do well for price). A newer body with good higher iso ability K30/K-5 could exploit this lens pros well keeping sharpness and shutter speed acceptable.

Here are more samples from lens, as I have exact same version as this - static/slow subject can be sharp at 400mm at lower iso

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/lens-sample-photo-archive/154011-sigma-13...6-samples.html

Good luck with your sale, i'm keeping mine to use on K-5/K30 when funds allow hehe!

btw my copy required FF/BF adjustment in camera, and also exhibited lots of softness/ghosting when using a filter in front (odd I know)

Last edited by FruitLooPs; 06-30-2012 at 02:38 PM.
06-30-2012, 04:14 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 23 (100%)
PM sent re international shipping

06-30-2012, 07:32 AM   #5
NKK
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
I have this lens too, and are happy with mine. It's a great "cheap" way to get a good range.
If you pair it with K-5's good high iso it's a good lens, especially if you stop down to F6,7 / F8.

and a free bump
07-01-2012, 08:23 AM   #6
cas
Forum Member

Original Poster
FruitLooPs, NKK,

Thanks for the positive feedback on the lens. I agree my sample pictures are not good one, but are the samples I managed to take the only time I went out with the lens.

FruitLooPs, after your post I have two people asking for the lens. Unfortunately the deals did not come through but I think your (much better) pictures have a lot to do. Thanks!

Lens is still available.
07-01-2012, 10:45 PM - 1 Like   #7
Pentaxian

QuoteOriginally posted by cas Quote
I agree my sample pictures are not good one, but are the samples I managed to take the only time I went out with the lens.
You don't have to "go out" to get sample pictures from a long lens. Here is a sample picture I took and used when recently selling my Sigma 150-500mm. This was shot at 500mm, with my camera/lens sitting on my kitchen counter, pointed at an end table in my living room.

This picture doesn't represent a typical use for a 500mm lens, but the distance to the subject was about the same as you might hope to get when shooting a bird or other small critter, so I think the image is useful in illustrating what the lens is capable of when camera shake or bad technique or subject movement is not a limiting factor. (Click on the picture for the full-size 12MP image.)

I've paid for a lot of my photo gear by buying used lenses cheap and then reselling them on eBay, so I've seen how much of a difference it makes when you have really good sample pictures. If you don't have great samples, it would probably be advisable to not post any samples at all.

Sample photos aside, it looks like a very interesting lens you've got for sale there. I'm not familiar with it, but I've had great experiences with all my Sigma lenses so I would be tempted to buy it myself just to play with it this summer and then resale it later. It looks like a smaller version of the Sigma 170-500mm I used to own, and that was a lens I liked quite a bit. They're both just a tad under a 3x zoom ratio, so there may very well be some family resemblance in the optics.

Unfortunately, I'm currently saving up for some nice lenses for my Olympus PEN (pictured above), so I've gotta hold onto my play money. But good luck with your sale, this will make a perfect lens for somebody to have fun with this summer!

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 07-01-2012 at 11:10 PM.
07-02-2012, 01:01 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 23 (100%)
You have no idea how tempting this one is for me, if I haven't been loan a similar lens locally I would've taken it, good luck with the sale.

07-04-2012, 08:35 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 12 (100%)
very agree with Edgar_in_Indy
looks like an interesting item
but after seeing the sample photo you took, scare me away..
you can just set it on tripod, and take pic of any subject at your house.
the purpose is to show the true IQ, the subject does not have to be interesting, you know.
07-05-2012, 12:33 PM   #10
Emperor and Senpai

Feedback Score: 25 (100%)
So I wasn't the only one scared by the sample pics?
07-07-2012, 08:48 AM   #11
cas
Forum Member

Original Poster
All,

Thanks for the positive feedback and comments. Looking in retrospective I am now a little ashamed about the pictures that I posted. I thought I was doing a decent job, but apparently I was scaring people away...

Liukaitc, you are right on target with my bias for "interesting subject". I really appreciate your post.

To be honest, this is exactly why I enjoy the Forum: Lots of good people ready to give good advise. Thank y'all.

With respect to the lens, it was sold two days ago.

Regards,
CAS