PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Superb SMCP K 45-125mm f4 zoom

Asking Price
see description

Item Location
Kearney, Nebraska (United States)

Item Description
Here's a Pentax lens that, ( I think due to its relative scarcity ) is flying way under the radar for most Pentaxians: The SMC 45-125mm f4 zoom (a K-mount manual focus lens).

This lens was available in a screwmount and K-mount version (optically/mechanically identical, except the mount). This is the K version. (If you have not yet had the pleasure of discovering the beauty and high qualty construction of these respected Takumar optical designs with the convenience of a K-mount, this will be a great introduction. If you already know about the SMCP K series, I'll bet you don't have this one, do YOU? Either way we can fix that for you.

This lens is superb in more ways than one. It was designed to be a zoom without the usual zoom compromises (that's why it has such an unusual focal length range and has a constant f4 maximum aperture). The image quality from this lens will surprise you, for a zoom of it's age. Example? Here's a comparison between it and the highly respected Tamron 90mm f2.5 Macro (both lenses at f4). That should put the Pentax at a disadvantage, because it is wide open, compared to the Tamron being stopped down. But check out the results: Flickriver: Photoset 'Tamron SP 2.5 90mm and Pentax 4.0 45-125mm' by Pentaxian Photofun

More images: Hin's Tech Corner: Pentax K 45-125mm f/4.0 Test Shots
Tech specs: K 45-125/4
I think you'll agree that this lens is more like a "stack of primes" than your average zoom. No wonder that in 1976 this lens was the 5th most expensive lens that Pentax sold ($500 in 1976 dollars). Curious how much that would be in today's dollars?

The copy I'm offering is close to mint, but being conservative I hesitate to use such a word.
I believe I have the original (metal Takumar styled) lens cap for it (if memory serves). Photos to follow, if it doesn't sell first.

Will be happy to ship worldwide to PF members with good feedback.

Priced to sell at $89 with lens cap ($79 if I can't find it - would ship with a filter as protection, in that case. This may be the most bang-for-the buck lens you have recently purchased. I'm selling only because I have another unexpected purchase to pay for. (LBA is such a harsh mistress, but I love her).

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Like New

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
actual

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
7 day return policy. Selling price (but not shipping) refunded if not 100% pleased that the lens matched my description. Buyer pays return shipping.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by Bramela; 07-11-2012 at 12:46 PM.
07-11-2012, 12:11 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 26 (100%)
Bump for a superb lens, its like a bag full of primes IMHO!
07-11-2012, 12:48 PM   #3
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 34 (100%)
Bump for a lens that is being sold at 96% off!!
07-11-2012, 06:17 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 104 (98%)
Original Poster
SOLD to the gentleman Down Under.