PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Kirk Camera Plate for K5 & K7 WITH Grip

Asking Price
$30

Item Location
Lancaster, PA (United States)

Item Description
For sale is a Kirk Enterprises Camera Plate for the Pentax K-5 / K-7 battery grip D-BG4, an anti-twist plate that mates the camera and grip to Kirk ball heads and other Arca-style quick release clamps. The Kirk part number is PZ-135.

This plate is no longer available from Kirk. I originally paid $55.

The plate is in overall excellent condition. The plate comes with two hex wrenches: one for attaching the plate to the battery grip and a smaller one for installing two safety screws that prevent the camera from slipping out of a QR clamp if the clamp were to be opened by accident. I will ship the plate with the screws left in place, but they can always be removed if desired.

The shipping price is for Continental United States. I'm willing to ship elsewhere, but the shipping cost will increase.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Continental U.S. Only

Shipping Charge
$2.65

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Returns must be pre-approved, by me, within 7 days of receipt by the buyer. The item MUST be shipped, pre-paid by the buyer, with insurance for the full value of the item. The item must be returned in original condition.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

08-01-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 17 (100%)
I am just curious, may I ask what this plate is for exactly? I am a big noob with this as I've never used it before. What does this plate attach to and with what it attaches to, is it universal?
08-01-2012, 07:42 PM   #3
MSM
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 27 (100%)
It attaches to the tripod socket of the camera so that it can be used for quick and safe connection to and from a quick release head of a tripod. It is camera and in this case camera with grip specific. If I had a grip for my K5 I would buy this.

Question for the seller: Will this plate work with a Really Right Stuff ball head?
08-01-2012, 09:15 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 31 (100%)
Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by LeDave Quote
I am just curious, may I ask what this plate is for exactly? I am a big noob with this as I've never used it before. What does this plate attach to and with what it attaches to, is it universal?
Basically, what MSM said. If you have a K5 or K7 and you're using the battery grip you can use a plate like this one in combination with a Arca-style quick-release clamp. I would recommend going to the Kirk Enterprises website for a better visual demonstration of how this works. Here is a link. The animation demonstrates how the camera/plate combination is released from the clamp. You can see the plate attached to the bottom of the camera with dovetail grooves that match up with the clamp to hold it in place. The plate I'm selling works exactly the same way as the animation, with the exception that the camera would be mounted to a battery grip, and the grip is mounted to the plate.

In addition to being quick to release from a tripod ball head (as the quick release clamp name implies), a model-specific plate like this one is contoured to match the shape of the DSLR/grip to prevent the camera from twisting on the mounting screw when the camera is in the vertical position on a tripod. A basic tripod can usually handle the weight of a camera with a kit lens when the camera is in the vertical position, but a heavy lens such as the DA* 16-50mm can cause the camera to twist down towards the ground. This plate, when used with a good quick release clamp, prevents the camera from turning on its screw.

So, to answer the last part of your question, the plate itself is not universal. You would need the battery grip for your K5 to match to the plate, and then you would need a good quality quick release clamp (which typically comes pre-mounted on a ball head like the ones sold by Kirk or Really Right Stuff).

---------- Post added 08-02-2012 at 12:46 AM ----------

QuoteOriginally posted by MSM Quote
Question for the seller: Will this plate work with a Really Right Stuff ball head?
After writing a lengthy description of the plate, trying my best to describe how the two brands would mate up, I thought I would simply check a RRS frequently asked question page! According to RRS, the plate I'm selling will work with a QR clamp from RRS as long as it's the standard "screw release" clamps and not the clamps they sell with a lever. If you check the FAQ, check out the sixth question down, the one that begins "If I have Arca-Swis style plates...".

I hope that helps! My original explanation was not so succinct, but I edited it down to the above.

Last edited by LowVoltage; 08-01-2012 at 09:45 PM. Reason: two posts were combined into one?
08-02-2012, 12:01 AM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 9 (100%)
PM sent.
08-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 31 (100%)
Original Poster
Responded to two PMs.