Item for Sale
Portragon 100mm f4 Soft-Focus Lens

Asking Price
65 60 55 50 USD

Item Location
Pennsylvania (United States)

Item Description
Price: $50

Here is a fun little lens seldom seen for sale. Its a Portragon 100mm f4 lens that takes a T2 adaptor (I have a T2 K-mount adaptor and will include it if you need one). It’s a special effect lens—it’s just a single element lens, so you can get that old-timey soft/aberrations feel. The lens has no aperture, so it's always wide open at f4 (you could probably make cutout apertures for this lens if you wanted to experiment). Fantastic for portraits too; it is a real soft-focus lens in the sense that it has no correct against aberrations and so gives a lovely soft focus effect as well as graduated decreasing softness from off centre. There may be a couple of minor cleaning marks on the lens, but for a lens like this, that does not matter at all.... I think the lens may be single coated, but it could be uncoated. I don’t think you’ll find a tinier 100mm lens either (see my comparison photo!). Focusing range is from infinity down to 3.2 feet. Includes a hood (pretty sure it's the original companion) which says Spiratone SER VI. Lens is made in Japan, all metal. Helicoid is not too well damped, but that’s as to be expected for this level of lens. Cosmetically it is in excellent condition with only light wear.

Payment via Paypal or US Postal Money Order.
Shipping. I'll ship whatever method you want (with delivery confirmation) in the USA at cost. This is a small and light lens, so it may very well be able to be sent First Class for only a couple of dollars. I will ship worldwide at cost, but I do not lie on customs forms. International shipping without any tracking is at your own risk, but I will provide a scan of my receipt from the post office if that makes you feel better. Because of the expense of international shipping with tracking, no returns then.

New Samples with my K-5 (all at the only aperture value of the lens, f4):

(a B/W conversion with some post-processing of my faithful, static model):

(no post processing except a slight boost to exposure):

Finally, a series of the same image, first with no post-processing, then as a straight B/W conversion, then two post-processing attempts to show how much fun you can have playing around with a lens that produces images like this:

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Fair

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
TBD

Shipping Services
USPS, UPS, FedEx

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Check/Money Order

Return Policy & Additional Details
You may return the item if not as described as long as you are in the US (overseas it gets too expensive and complicated).

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by macTak; 08-31-2012 at 08:59 PM.
08-17-2012, 08:49 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 18 (100%)
Original Poster
Price drop to $60.
08-24-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Another price drop; now only $55
08-31-2012, 08:58 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
And another price drop. It's quite a bargain when you consider how much soft focus lenses go for.

09-07-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bump. Feel free to make me an offer; the worst case is that I refuse!

---------- Post added 09-08-12 at 11:01 AM ----------

Sold on Ebay!