Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
08-24-2012, 08:32 PM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 18 (100%)
Lester A. Dine 105mm f/2.8 Macro lens, Ring Flash, ZX-50 (kit or separately)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Lester A. Dine 105mm f/2.8 Macro Kit (w/ Ring Flash and ZX-50)

Asking Price
450 USD the kit SOLD

Item Location
Pennsylvania (United States)

Item Description
For sale is a great Lester A. Dine Dental Kit; everything is very clean. I suspect it was used only a couple of times in the dentist’s office at best, as I really could hardly find any signs of use, they were so clean. I myself have only just tested them to insure they work properly. These were made for dentists, but by no means are limited to them in just use.

Included is a Lester A. Dine 105mm f2.8 Macro lens. This is the same lens as the famous Vivitar Series 1 105mm f2.5 Macro (considered one of the best macro lenses), just rebadged as Lester A. Dine (and with a sticker on the focus scale for which tooth series the magnification is for) and lacking the sliding hood the Vivitar one had. It is a manual focus lens but does have the A-setting. Condition wise, it is like new. All the mechanics work as they should, focusing is smooth and well damped, blades are dry and snappy, and the optics are clean and clear (save the usual few flecks of internal dust).

Also in the kit is the Dine Auto-Exposure Macro Light Model II. It is a TTL ring flash (GN 14) with a point flash (GN 28) as well. You can select either ring or point on the flash, and the point can be rotated to any orientation. It fits a 52mm filter natively (appropriate to the Dine macro lens of course), and you can get some step-up or step-down rings if you want to use it on other lenses. With the included camera, you get full operation, since the camera is TTL. If you are using it on a Pentax DSLR (where all since the *IST series use PTTL flash metering), you will be limited to the Auto-Thyristor mode (one setting, at ISO 100 at low magnifications aperture value given is f11 and at higher magnifications the aperture value given is f16) or full-power manual. I’ve tried the Auto-Thyristor mode on my K100D and K5, and it works great, surprisingly useful. Just set the appropriate aperture on camera according to what the flash says for your ISO, and the Thyristor sensor will give the flash the appropriate amount of light for correct exposure. This is the best ‘budget’ ring flash you can get for Pentax, in my opinion.

Next in the kit is a Pentax ZX-50 film camera. I’ve not run a roll of film through it, but it seems to be working as it should. It also is like new and seems hardly used.

Finally are all the original accessories. The original Dine front lens cap, Pentax camera strap (still in it’s wrapping, never used) and body cap for the camera, the manual for the camera, the manual for the lens, the manual for the flash, and a couple of other paper notices that came with the kit. Also there is a CD-ROM “Guide to Dental Photography”. I believe the CD-ROM was an add-on that cost extra. I can’t play it on my Mac, as it runs a Windows program, but all of the video, audio, and text files were still accessible. It looks pretty elementary…. Some of the manuals and the CD-ROM case have some notes written on them. As a bonus, I’ll throw in a generic rear lens cap (for in the kit the lens is attached, so no rear cap was ever included, I think).

All of these come in the original hard plastic case lined in foam.

The price I’m asking is what the last of these kits went for on the forum.

Payment will be via Paypal or US Postal money order. Insured USA shipping with Signature Confirmation (or Delivery confirmation as you prefer) is included in the price. I will ship internationally at cost less $10 as an allowance from the free US shipping (I will only ship Priority Mail, as nothing cheeper has tracking. Note also that I do not lie on customs forms.)

Samples taken with the Dine 105mm Macro Lens included (no post-processing on any of these):

Wide open @f2.8:

@f4:

@f4.5:

@f8:

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
Free in USA w/ the kit, at cost for individual parts

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Check/Money Order

Return Policy & Additional Details
You may return the item if not as described as long as you are in the US (overseas it gets too expensive and complicated).

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by macTak; 09-12-2012 at 05:55 PM.
08-31-2012, 08:59 PM   #2
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Bump for a great set!
08-31-2012, 10:23 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 9 (100%)
Interesting set. I'll have to think about it.
09-07-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Still available. It's not often you can get a complete set like this. I'd also accept a straight trade for a DA70 or FA43 Ltd, if that interests someone.

09-12-2012, 07:48 AM   #5
Veteran Member

Original Poster
Well, much as I hate to split this up, I really need to get these sold by next Wednesday at the latest, so I'll now open it up to individual sales on each. Shipping will need to be added at cost to these prices (and I do ship internationally). I will include the appropriate manual(s) for each of the items sold. If you want the hard case with one of these, let me know, otherwise it won't be included.

Lester A. Dine 105mm macro lens: $325 (or trade for FA43, DA70, perhaps + some cash)
Lester A. Dine Macro Ring Flash: $95
Pentax ZX-50 AF Film Camera: $15

Of course, you are still more than welcome to take the whole kit....

---------- Post added 09-12-12 at 11:52 AM ----------

And, just as I have written this, someone wants the whole kit (hooray!). So it's all SOLD now.

Last edited by macTak; 09-12-2012 at 05:55 PM.