Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
10-09-2012, 07:34 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 70 (100%)
Promaster/Cosina 100mm f/3.5 macro MF w/ 1:1 adapter (price reduced Oct 13)

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Promaster/Cosina 100mm f/3.5 macro MF w/ 1:1 adapter

Asking Price
110 (reduced Oct 13)

Item Location
Denver, CO (United States)

Item Description
This is the Promaster Spectrum 7 branded version of the Cosina-made "plastic fantastic" 100/3.5 macro. It also came under the names Vivitar, Phoenix, Voigtlander, Tokina, even Pentax (auto-focus version only I think). This is the manual focus version. It is a 'A' lens, fully compatible with all exposure and metering modes on Pentax DSLRs.

This lens provides a magnification ratio as great as 1:2 without the adapter and 1:1 with the adapter. The "matched macro adapter" is really a high-quality achromatic close-up filter (+4 diopter), and can be used on any lens with 49mm filter threads with good results. There is absolutely no visible image degradation using the adapter on this lens.

It is like new in original box with original paperwork -- I'm not actually sure it has ever been used before. Everything is flawless, just as new.

While I haven't used this copy, I have my own and I have found it to be an excellent performer. Because of the plastic build (which I actually think is an advantage -- it is much less prone to damage from a minor drop or bump that a metal lens that can get a dent so easily -- the plastic just bounces or gets a cosmetic scratch, this lens is very lightweight and is easy to always have in your bag without weighing yourself down with "one more lens". And I always keep the 1:1 adapter with me anytime I have any lenses with 49mm threads.

You can find some reviews in the database (ignore outdated prices, they are unrealistic):

Promaster 100mm 1:3.5 MC Macro (Spectrum 7) Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Phoenix 100mm f3.5 macro with 1:1 matched adapter Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

and also out in the world:

Cosina 100 F3.5 macro lens review - dyxum.com
Cosina AF 100mm f/3.5 macro (Pentax) - Review / Lab Test Report

Flickr group: Flickr: Cosina 100mm f/3.5 Macro

Some of those are discussing the AF version -- remember this is the MF version, but same lens. I recently had the opportunity to compare this manual focus version with the autofocus version -- I was surprised that the MF version is much better built -- they really cut some corners to get the AF gears in there. (The AF version is actually slightly ligher than this one.) But this MF version has a very nice feel with a nice big focus ring. It is still plastic (and admittedly, the sound the aperture makes when it closes screams cheap), but I've never had any trouble with mine. But too much is made of the plastic build as if it were crappy and about to fall apart. It is solid. (Although the AF version is noticably cheaper quality, so keep that in mind when reading reviews.) As stated above, I *like* the build and it makes the lens lightweight, easy to handle, and convenient to carry.

Asking $110 + $11 shipping (priority w/ tracking + insurance) for U.S. destinations. Payment is to be via PayPal (I'll send you an invoice and I'll pay the fees), and shipping address must match your PayPal account address. Denver locals are welcome to come over and examine in person and pay cash.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Like New

Shipping Destinations
United States

Shipping Charge

Shipping Services
USPS Priority Mail + insurance

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Will accept returns if not as stated as long as notified within 3 days of delivery.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by vonBaloney; 10-13-2012 at 11:54 AM.
10-10-2012, 02:19 AM   #2

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
I too agree that the build of MF version is better than the AF version... this lens will go soon...
10-10-2012, 06:48 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 19 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by First Poster Quote
(ignore outdated prices, they are unrealistic)
Dunno as I'd call them that outdated. 3 of the 4 reviews are from this year. (mine included.)

That being said, it is a stellar performer. And you're right about the build quality. It's plastic, but it's a pleasure to use.
10-10-2012, 08:56 AM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by GibbyTheMole Quote
Dunno as I'd call them that outdated. 3 of the 4 reviews are from this year. (mine included.)

That being said, it is a stellar performer. And you're right about the build quality. It's plastic, but it's a pleasure to use.
All I know is that when this lens comes up on ebay, it goes for more than I'm asking here, so I don't want people to think I'm trying to gouge them. I think that is a fair market price. If you can find one at $60 like in some of the reviews, consider yourself very lucky and grab it quick. (I got this as part of a deal with some other lenses I was buying.)

10-12-2012, 09:37 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
bump.
10-12-2012, 01:42 PM   #6
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 93 (100%)
Also curious is that the AF version focuses Pentax-style, with infinity to the left stop. Both work very well but a more deliberate focus like the MF model would be nice; I have the AF and would have a hard time focusing manually with it.
10-12-2012, 02:00 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by jimr-pdx Quote
Also curious is that the AF version focuses Pentax-style, with infinity to the left stop. Both work very well but a more deliberate focus like the MF model would be nice; I have the AF and would have a hard time focusing manually with it.
The action/dampening is much nicer on the MF as well as having the nice big ring. It just seems better put together, although optically they are both the same.

10-14-2012, 11:18 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
sold.