Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
11-02-2012, 09:33 PM   #1

Feedback Score: 104 (100%)
SMC Pentax M 35-70mm f2.8 Lens Autofocus and Manual Two of them!

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
SMC Pentax M 35-70mm f2.8 Lens Autofocus and Manual Two of them!

Asking Price

Item Location
Los Angeles, CA (United States)

Item Description
I actually have two of my favorite manual lenses for sale. In a way they are siblings because they share almost the same optical formula:

First up is the one of a kind SMC Pentax 35-70mm f2.8 Autofocus Lens - This was the first autofocus lens ever introduced. (Not just the first by Pentax). It was designed to work with the Pentax MEF camera only (because it used special set of contacts on the mount). Unfortunately, it was a complete bomb. The lens opticals performed wonderfully, but the autofocus growled like a panzer tank and was slower than pregnant hippo climbing Mt Everest. It was also rather heavy because it needed four AA batteries to power it. It did not sell well at all. However, historical significance and autofocus performance aside, it had wonderful optics. Pentax modified the already great manual focus 35-70mm f2.8-3.5 (for sale below) to have a fixed f2.8 aperature (presumably for the benefit of the primitive autofocus system). They put in larger glass elements and a different coating (to date, this is the only Pentax lens of that era that has a reddish tinted coating). The result was a nice fixed aperature lens that was sharp almost from the get go, wide open.

I've had about 3 of these over the years and this one is as nice as any of them. The glass is perfect, no blemish, scratches of any kind. Aperature clicks solidly, blades are snappy and oil free. Focus is smooth (but this lens has a very short focus through and almost no focus ring due to the autofocus mechanics). I recommend a camera body with focus peeking (zooming) like the K30 for optimum manual focus. Body is in great shape and has a built in grip that is a joy to hold. Please note that the autofocus system would not work with any other body than that of the Pentax MEF camera, so for all other cameras it is a manual focus lens. Unfortunately, this sample has lost its battery cover, so if you want to attach it to a MEF and try it, you cannot, still, it works well for anyone who wants to see how this lens performs. This is a push-pull zoom. Includes original front cap and generic rear cap. Asking $65 + shipping SOLD

Second is the predecessor to the autofocus lens above, the SMC Pentax M 35-70mm f2.8-3.5. This is the lens the autofocus one was based on. It is a fast zoom that only varies half a stop on the long end. It is just as sharp wide open as the version I described above. In several ways, it is also better. One, it has a great focus grip and the focus is just as nice as any of the other M type lenses. Secondly, it is lighter, more compact and has a normal round shape. All in all, this is an easier lens to manual focus (because it was designed for that).

This particular version is optically perfect. Nothing wrong with the glass. Aperature clicks solidy and blades are oil free. Unfortunately, someone engraved this perfectly good lens and someone made the focus a little rough in one area (see photos). It still performs pefectly, but is cosmetically ugly. Still, it is great if you want to try out the lens and perform a comparison with the Autofocus version above. Includes original front cap and generic rear cap. Asking only $45 + shipping

Buy them both for $100 + shipping and do your own comparisons between siblings!

Shipping is via USPS Priority Mail:

USA $10
Canada $15 (Via First Class Mail)
Please inquire for other locations, I ship internationally all the time.

I also have a few other lenses and accessories for sale, I can combine shipping for everything, please check out these links:

Tamron 90mm f2.8 1:1 Macro Lens

Polarizers and Other Filters and Accessories

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Fair

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge

Shipping Services
USPS Priority Mail

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
7 Days if item not as described. Shipping Fees not refundable. Buyer pays for return shipping.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 
View Picture EXIF
PENTAX K-30  Photo 

Last edited by Youngster; 11-05-2012 at 09:08 PM.
11-02-2012, 09:41 PM   #2

Feedback Score: 7 (100%)
PM sent for AF lens
11-05-2012, 09:11 PM   #3

Feedback Score: 104 (100%)
Original Poster
The 35-70mm f2.8-3.5 Manual focus is still available. Great price if you just want to use the lens and not collect. These normally go for $80 or more.
11-05-2012, 09:16 PM   #4
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 39 (100%)
This is an awesome lens with near-prime image quality, imo. If you can deal with an all-manual lens, you'll be rewarded with some beautiful photos