Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
02-09-2008, 10:21 AM   #1
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 58 (100%)
[SOLD] Affordable legends

I have never yet held an FA limited in my hand, but I don't believe that they can be any better constructed, more 'jewel-like', than the ones below. These are incredible pieces of metal and glass, and it's been a real pleasure to shoot with them. Heck, it's been a pleasure to look at them on my shelf.

Don't take it from me - quote from Luminous Landscape:
QuoteQuote:
The early Takumar designs were gorgeously built — they're just about the smoothest-focusing lenses ever made, Leica not excepted.
But - in the continuing quest to fund a limited, I need to act with some semblance of pragmatism and sell some prized lenses and cameras, vs. contributing to the credit crisis in this country by throwing the limited on a credit card in a thoughtless act of consequence-free consumerism.

There, now that I've justified this sale to myself, here's the stuff:

Super Multi Coated Takumar 50mm f/1.4 with M42 adapter (attached) E+ SOLD $105 shipped

One of the most prized 50mm's available today. Excerpt from Mike Johnston's famous My favorite lens essay:
QuoteQuote:
The Super-Tak and S.-M.-C. Tak were from back when Pentax was competing with Zeiss, and Pentax allegedly produced every fast normal lens it made at a loss — the quality level is very high and reflects a lot of hand-building and hand-inspection.
Link: My Favorite Lens

This is an M42 lens, but comes with an attached adapter - no need to hit ebay or Adorama for an adapter if you don't have one. You can just use it right away like a K-mount 50mm lens - albeit the best constructed 50mm you've probably every handled, unless you happen to have a Leica or Zeiss.

It's the rare-earth model (radioactive elements in coating,) has the 3rd smoothest focusing ring I've ever used (the other two smoothest are are listed below,) It is sharper wide open than my FA 50mm f/1.4 and my SMC-M 50mm f/1.4.

For just about 50 bucks more than a plain old manual 50 you can own a truly legendary piece.

Super Takumar 135mm f/2.5 with leather case, metal hood, and 2x Teleconverter E++ SOLD $150 shipped

The finest lens I've ever personally held in my hands. It's in collectable shape. 135mm telephotos are my personal vice - I just think they're the funnest to shoot. Relatively small, but they let you get *into the action, capture someone's expression, frame an action, without having the restricted field of view of a 200mm. A super sharp, fast 135mm is the perfect surreptitious indoor lens, gives you a great combo of telephoto and field of view outdoors, and when used with a teleconverter is a terrific long telephoto. If I had to choose only one prime to own it would be a 135mm. (this 135mm.)

Nice quote from JohnClif:
QuoteQuote:
...the Tak 135/2.5 is the highest-performing M42 lens at this focal length. It outperforms the legendary Carl Zeiss 135/2.5 in terms of resolution and contrast. A truly incredible lens. If you really want to see how good a picture your camera can take, throw one of these on it and prepare yourself to be amazed at the detail you'll see.
This comes with an E++ leather case, and something kinda unique - the original screw-on metal hood, in mint condition - it was stored in original plastic.

It also comes with an M42 Cosmos Teleplus 2x teleconverter - pretty rare in it's own right, I think. This turns your beautiful 135mm into a beautiful 270mm.

A Hoya skylight filter is included.

Super Takumar 55mm f/1.8 with hood E++ -comes with- Spotmatic E++, two leather cases, filters, manual: $85 shipped

Quote from Mike Johnston at Luminous Landscape:
QuoteQuote:
If anyone reading this were actually want to get one of these lenses, I'd simply suggest buying whatever camera most suits your needs, and going with the vintage of lens that suits the camera....and of course the all-time classic is an SP Spotmatic with a Super-Takumar. It takes some hunting to find one in really good condition.
This is an excruciatingly sweet lens, and I went back and forth on keeping it - butter-smooth-clicking aperture ring, heavy, sharp, with beautiful color rendition, bokah, and contrast. It comes with it's own metal hood, which was kept stored in plastic and doesn't have a mark on it.

And, bonus: It comes attached to an impeccably maintained Spotmatic, with a leather snap-on carrying case, and a larger leather satchel. I've only shot one role of film through this camera, it was mostly used by the previous owner, who kept his things pristine.

I half-jokingly list the Spotmatic as an 'extra', like a filter or something, but this camera is a classic and it's been kept in better shape than any film camera I've ever personally seen. You could probably resell the camera body , with case, satchel and filters (without lens) for more than $100 on Ebay, if you didn't care about shooting film.

It also comes with several filters, a like-new Hoya, and a couple things I thought were very neat - the original manual, and an original Asahi Pentax product catalog. It lists all the 'new' lenses available, describes their construction, number of elements, etc. I thought it was a nice keepsake from that era. We talk about all these collectable lenses now, it's just neat to see them presented from that perspective. I really think Pentax was a company that enjoyed it's own products and was proud of what it did. And that really, really shows in these items.

So there you have it. The prices include shipping. If you buy all three, you'll get an M42 adapter to use with all three, if you only buy the 135mm or the 55mm, you'll need to pick up an adapter, $10 - $40 online. (Of course, if you buy the 55 with the Spotmatic, you don't need an adapter for the Spotmatic, it's native M42.)

Here's a link to photos of everything. Please feel free to ask me to take closer photos of anything, or let me know if you have any other questions about anything.

Picasa Web Albums - Jay - sale2

PS: Speaking of the adapter, note that I took Hinman's (and other's) advice and unscrewed the spring clip from the adapter attached to the 50 1.4 - this removes the possibility of it ever getting stuck on the camera. That was a problem with some Bower adapters - but you don't have to worry about it now

Last edited by jsherman999; 02-10-2008 at 11:57 AM.
02-09-2008, 11:17 AM   #2
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 16 (100%)
Quick question. Is your 135mm Super Takumar the multicoated version?
02-09-2008, 12:04 PM   #3

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
PM sent on the 50mm and 135mm lenses.
02-09-2008, 12:06 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Original Poster
No, it's the previous version, "Super Takumar", but it's not the bayonette mount 2.5, it's the original m42. Optically in a different universe than the bayonette mount 2.5, and it's in collectors condition.

02-09-2008, 06:03 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 13 (100%)
I can vouch for jsherman, I bought an A-50/1.7 from him last week and received the lens this afternoon in great shape, as described, very fast shipping.
You're killing me Jay! You had a Tak 135/2.5 all along:-). You know I want that lens, lol. But I have my eye on the DA*300/4 and I have to be careful with my money, if it wasn't for that I'd be all over your 135.
02-09-2008, 07:44 PM   #6
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
I can vouch for jsherman, I bought an A-50/1.7 from him last week and received the lens this afternoon in great shape, as described, very fast shipping.
You're killing me Jay! You had a Tak 135/2.5 all along:-). You know I want that lens, lol. But I have my eye on the DA*300/4 and I have to be careful with my money, if it wasn't for that I'd be all over your 135.
Glad you got the 50 f/1.7 already! Get out and take any pictures of your new snow yet? I think we just got the tail end of what you had but it was feeble by the time it hit here.

I think you were looking for an SMC Takumar K-mount 135 f/2.5... This is an m42 mount Super Tak 2.5.

The one I sold last week was a third type, a non-SMC Tak bayonette mount. (I also still have a regular SMC-M 135 f/3.5 that I'm keeping.) The 2.5 bayonette mount is not in the same league optically and not as collectable, thus the huge price diff. I guess I should have asked if you were open to m42 mounts, huh? I would have ended up sending you a bigger box

All of these 135's are good, though. I think the 135's are Pentax's best manual focal length in digital crop, I really love these lenses.

02-09-2008, 10:29 PM   #7
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 13 (100%)
Well, I have TWO M-135/3.5's, a SMC Takumar 135/3.5, and a Takumar (Bayonet) 135/2.5, which I've had for years. I love the screw mount Taks and I'm finding the the SMC K-mounts are very cool also. If I know me, I'll end up with a copy of each:-).
The thaw has begun and it's getting messy, real messy. This has been our toughest winter in years, record snowfalls, hasn't been particularly cold but endless storms parading through one after the other. Roofs collapsing, trees falling, passes closed, roads closed. I can't wait for spring, I'm a born and raised southern boy and I hate this crap! We should have plenty of fishing water this year though:-).
02-10-2008, 11:55 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Eaglerapids Quote
Well, I have TWO M-135/3.5's, a SMC Takumar 135/3.5, and a Takumar (Bayonet) 135/2.5, which I've had for years. I love the screw mount Taks and I'm finding the the SMC K-mounts are very cool also. If I know me, I'll end up with a copy of each:-).
The thaw has begun and it's getting messy, real messy. This has been our toughest winter in years, record snowfalls, hasn't been particularly cold but endless storms parading through one after the other. Roofs collapsing, trees falling, passes closed, roads closed. I can't wait for spring, I'm a born and raised southern boy and I hate this crap! We should have plenty of fishing water this year though:-).
I had no idea! I never thought I'd run across anyone who liked 135's as much as me!

There's an SMC-M 135 f/3.5 for sale right now for $50, which is a bit of a bargain if it's in good shape... I'm tempted to buy it even though I already own the exact same one. Irrational? Yes.

02-10-2008, 12:19 PM   #9
Veteran Member

Original Poster

Price lowered on the 55 f/1.8 with metal hood and mint Spotmatic with two leathers cases, manual and filters, $85 shipped.

02-10-2008, 01:43 PM   #10
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
PM sent

PM sent on 55.