PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Pentax MZ-3 Special Edition and Normal Silver Edition w/ Accessories

Asking Price
$100

Item Location
Queenstown (Singapore)

Item Description
In 1998, Pentax made a Special Edition MZ-3 in both Silver and Black color. The buttons on the Silver Special Edition MZ-3 are all painted in gold color, as shown in the following photos. MZ-3 camera is pretty rare 'cause it's only available in Japan market, this Special Edition MZ-3 is even rarer, and one of the most sort after cameras ever made.You probably won't see this one anywhere easily.

Had this rare Special Edition MZ-3 camera for a while, worked great until sometime last year, its mirror stopped working. From my experiences, it's due to crack gear connecting the mirror motor and the mirror. Most if not all Pentax MZ series cameras have a mirror motor w/ plastic gear, which sooner or later would crack, which then will cause the mirror lock up. The easy fix is to replace the mirror motor with a brass gear (Pentax made and sold tons of these motors due to this problem, made a lot money for repairing the same problem - words from my buddy friend who worked in our local Pentax Service Center for over a decade). You can take a look at this following thread and find how easy it is to get the problem fixed:

https://www.pentaxforums.com/forums/pentax-film-slr-discussion/53977-pentax-z...n-problem.html

After the mirror stopped working, I bought a Pentax mirror motor from eBay ($18) and planed to get it fixed, but never got to do it, yet. Now I'm really too busy w/ the kids and work, and I don't shoot film anymore. Decide to let this rare camera go.

From the following photos you can see my MZ-3 Special Edition is in fantastic condition, other than some marks on the flash top, it looks MINT! I'd include another MZ-3 normal edition which has exactly the same mirror-stuck problem (yeah, this is gonna happen to all MZ-3 cameras, sooner or later), but this one has a much better flash top, which you can use to replace the one on the Special Edition MZ-3, so you'd have a near MINT rare Special Edition MZ-3. You can also use this normal MZ-3 as spare parts for the Special Edition if needed.

So this sale includes two MZ-3 cameras as shown in the photos, plus a brand new mirror motor w/ brass gear, two batteries (don't know if still got juice left), original cable release and one original Pentax body cap. I'd throw in an original Pentax MZ type eyecup/eyepiece if I can find one (I'm sure I have a coupe of those somewhere in the dry cabinet). You need to do some surgery to replace the mirror motor before you can use either of these two cameras.

Asking for $100 including registered airmail to anywhere in the whole world.

Here are some photos of the Special Edition MZ-3 and the normal MZ-3 camera (what you see is what you get):

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Fair

Shipping Destinations
Other (See Listing)

Shipping Charge
Included

Shipping Services
Registered Airmail

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
This sale includes two MZ-3 cameras: one special edition and one normal one, plus accessories as shown in photos.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

11-22-2012, 09:14 AM   #2
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 73 (100%)
PM sent
11-22-2012, 10:06 AM   #3
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 149 (100%)
Original Poster
Replied

---------- Post added 11-23-2012 at 09:41 PM ----------

I've found one original Pentax eyepiece for MZ cameras, will include it in the package