Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
12-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 34 (100%)
Come STEAL my hand-made Cherry-wood 4x5 view camera!

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Come STEAL my hand-made Cherry-wood 4x5 view camera!

Asking Price
$150.00 Shipped USD

Item Location
Waldorf, MD, USA (United States)

Item Description
Well, GAS got me again, and I ended up with this gorgeous 4x5 Cherrywood view camera. Unfortuantely, it doesn't slot into my LF system the way I thought it would, and with 3 other LF cameras to feed, I have to pass this on to a new home.

This camera is a REAL cherrywood 4x5 view camera, handmade by the original owner, whom I don't know. The kit was assembled from a kit formerly available from bender photographic:

Bender Photographic, Inc. View Camera Kits

The original price of the unassembled kit was over $300, and this Bender camera is fully assembled, film-tested and working.

First, the good:

The camera is a 4x5" view camera of a lightweight monorail design. The single rail that holds up the camera is made of brass. The rest of the camera is constructed of brass hardware and real cherrywood. The fit and finish is quite acceptable and the camera is completely light-tight, the ground glass is bright and clear and the back holds film very securely. The movements are all free-moving and lock up tight. The base of the camera includes a 1/4-20 tripod socket, that lets you mount it to any standard tripod.

The camera includes the camera standards, the ground glass back with glass protector, camera base, monorail, tapered accordion-folded bellows, and the optional bag-bellows for using shorter focal length lenses with movements. (Manfrotto tripod head in the photos is not included, but can be sold with the camera if the price is right.)

The bad: There is one problem with this Bender. There's a 0 index marker on the rear standard that keeps falling off. I haven't gotten around to gluing it yet. Also, no lenses or lens boards were included when I bought it, so none are provided with the camera (I tested the camera with my Schneider Symmar 150/5.6, which worked well, and is also available on eBay for cheap. Lens boards can be made from plain wood stock.)

If the camera sells for the asking price I will include 4 Riteway 4x5" large format film holders, and will even fill a couple with Arista Premium 400 film before the camera ships out!

Just add a lens, and you'll be playing in the big leagues, shooting a large format view camera, and enjoying the huge resolution, beautiful ground glass image, and awesome tilt/shift capabilities Large Format has to offer. It's a whole different world.

A word on Large Format:

I am hooked on large format photography. I love the contemplative nature of composing the photo. I love moving the plane of focus around, turning it this way and that with tilt. I love shifting perspective. You have an unbelieveable amount of control with a large format camera that smaller cameras don't generally give without very expensive specialized equipment. This Bender will let you play with tilt and shift for one tenth the cost of a tilt-shift lens for Nikon or Canon.

Large format film is not cheap, but it's not terribly expensive either. It's available online from B&H and Adorama as well as freestyle, and you can send it to a lab for processing or do it yourself.

This Bender is the perfect first view camera. It's light enough to go anywhere but has all the movements you're likely to need. If I'd started on this, I doubt I'd have ever bought my Toyo.

Again, $150 shipped buys your ticket to a whole new world of photographic expression. Without further ado, here are the images.

All components, dissassembled. The camera breaks down in about 2 minutes, no tools.

From the back, with the ground glass back off.

There's the focusing screen. A 3" LCD doesn't hold a candle.

Bender Photographic nameplate

The Camera as it would be on top of your tripod.

If you have any questions, contact me!

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
FREE in USA, actual shipping minus $10 worldwide

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Check/Money Order

Return Policy & Additional Details
The buyer will have 7 days to inspect the item. In those 7 days, if he feels I misrepresented this camera, he can return the camera to me for a full refund.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

12-18-2012, 03:29 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 3 (100%)
Sooooo tempting! But then I'd have to buy an additional enlarger and I have barely enough room in my upstairs bathroom darkroom for my Besler 23 as it is.

---------- Post added 12-18-12 at 05:30 PM ----------

You might post this on http://www.apug.org/forums/home.php if you haven't already.
12-18-2012, 09:53 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by grhazelton Quote
Sooooo tempting! But then I'd have to buy an additional enlarger and I have barely enough room in my upstairs bathroom darkroom for my Besler 23 as it is.

---------- Post added 12-18-12 at 05:30 PM ----------

You might post this on http://www.apug.org/forums/home.php if you haven't already.
Thanks for the tip. I do plan to cross-post at Large Format Photography Forum, APUG and Craigslist, but I thought I'd give my fellow pentaxians who aspire to greater formats the first chance to buy
12-19-2012, 01:09 AM   #4
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 35 (100%)
pm sent, with a possible trade...

12-19-2012, 01:49 AM   #5

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
PM sent.
12-19-2012, 05:23 AM   #6

Feedback Score: 11 (100%)
That's one of the coolest things I've seen posted for sale in quite a while!
12-19-2012, 06:54 AM   #7
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by Tom S. Quote
That's one of the coolest things I've seen posted for sale in quite a while!
It's a sweet camera, but it unfortunately occupies a space in my large format setup that's better occupied by my other 4x5's.

All PM's replied. Trade declined, two shipping quotes provided. Keep the PMs coming if you're interested, as I have had no definite sale as yet.
12-24-2012, 02:52 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sold and shipped, USPS Priority mail.