Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-11-2013, 08:17 PM   #1
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 95 (100%)
Rare manual lenses: Rikenon XR 300mm f4.5 APO; Vivitar 85mm f1.8; M 50 f1.4

Ricoh Rikenon XR 300mm f/4.5 Apochromat Lens - $179 plus shipping SOLD
Tele Vivitar 85mm f/1.8 preset lens - $65 plus shipping SOLD
Pentax-M SMC 50mm f/1.4 lens - $69 plus shipping SOLD

Shipping in the US - $20 for the Rikenon, $9 for the Vivitar, $6 for the M 50 1.4. International shipping available, please inquire about your country. More than one lens, no additional shipping charge.

Here are some rare beauties that I can only reluctantly persuade myself to sell. I have been moving away from manual focus but have found it hard to part with lenses that it is unlikely I will encounter again. Ah well, I would like to be able to see my desk again, so better do some spring cleaning. All designed for fil, but effective on digital.

The Rikenon lens is in particularly nice shape. The impression of a like-new lens is marred only by a small scratch on the hood, as shown in the pictures below. Glass is clear, and the accessories are all original and almost like-new themselves. If there are any Ricoh collectors out there, this lens is for you! For the rest of us, this is a fairly fast 300mm lens with reasonable size for hand-holding, a built-in tripod mount, and decent close focus ability. IQ is decent if a little soft wide open, and improves with stopping down. There can be some purple fringing, despite the "APO" designation, but much less than comparable era Tamrons for example. Included is a UV filter, front and rear caps, case and strap, paperwork and original box. (The box is beat up, as shown. Disregard the lens cap from my DA35 macro, accidentally in one of the pictures.) This was a high end lens in its day, with the original sticker price of $570 still on the box as shown. And it is 100% full frame compatible! :-) I used with the Pentax-F 1.7x AFA, which would auto-focus in decent light, giving a nice way to get an AF 500mm lens; alas my TC stopped working. Wide open the DOF is small which contributes to apparent softness if you miss by even just a little bit.

Stats on the lens available here.

Sample Pics:

Wide open at MFD:

The Tele Vivitar 85mm f/1.8 preset lens is another rarity, it is old and not too many are left in circulation. It was a T mount originally, but I converted it to K mount. (I can send along the original mount and the other half of the K mount adapter if desired). There is a little information about the lens here, and various sample shots scattered across the web. My copy is in decent external condition and works well mechanically, but it does have oily aperture blades. This has no effect on function for a preset lens, but it can be clearly seen. Also, and maybe because the oil has spread to an inner lens surface, the lens does seem to have a slight internal haze. This can only be seen with shining a bright light directly through it, and is hard to photograph. I have discounted the lens accordingly. A good clean out probably wouldn't be too difficult, as these old manual lenses were pretty simple mechanically, but is beyond my lens repair ambitions. My copy does lose contrast shooting into a strong light source, which may be the haze or may just be the ancient lens coatings. I do recommend a hood to minimize this, and will include a screw-in one.

Wide open I find the lens pretty soft, with low contrast. This is more pronounced shooting into light, as above, and I almost think of it as a "soft" lens. Stopped down the lens has a whole other character, with great color saturation, sharpness and contrast. Bokeh can be pretty wild wide open but I enjoy it, and it gets quite lovely stopped down. Minimum focus distance is pretty long, over 1m, so I used some extension for a number of the sample shots. It does take some lovely portraits. Includes generic caps, screw-in hood and mount.

Maybe you can see the haze here?

Samples:

Finally an M 50 1.4. A tiny gem in the Pentax line-up. Amazing IQ for such a small package and affordable price. This one looks a bit beat up externally, but has good glass and works just fine. Comes with generic caps.

Sample:

If you find the goods to be in anyway other than as described I will be happy to refund your money upon return. If you have any questions, please ask! No marking as a gift for international customs purposes. And while lower offers will be entertained, a full price offer will take it.

Thanks for looking, Nick

Last edited by Nick Siebers; 03-12-2013 at 01:08 PM.
03-11-2013, 08:45 PM   #2
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 34 (100%)
very interested in the V85mm/1.8, would you say it is acceptable sharpness at 2.8?
03-11-2013, 09:10 PM   #3
Site Supporter

Original Poster
Hello! Yes, I would say sharpness is acceptable at 2.8. That's right about where it starts to get good, and at f4 or so it really sparkles. Here is a sample or two at f/2.8 I just took:

03-11-2013, 09:12 PM   #4

Feedback Score: 28 (100%)
I want the Ricoh 300mm. Send me payment info.

03-12-2013, 12:31 AM   #5
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
If tcbubbleleo doesn't take the vivitar 85mm I'll take it.
03-12-2013, 07:45 AM   #6
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 34 (100%)
gorillagirl, I am still weighting of what 85 I want, jupiter-9/pentax-m.......since you are much wanting the lens, I think you should buy it instead of me
03-12-2013, 08:01 AM   #7
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
Hi shipping to Denmark for the 50mm?
03-12-2013, 08:24 AM   #8
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
Hellow.

Do you have any idea about the cost to sent Tele Vivitar 85mm f/1.8 preset lens to Portugal?

Thnks

03-12-2013, 08:46 AM   #9
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 14 (100%)
The '300 is a Sigma. Mine looks just that like that.
03-12-2013, 01:08 PM   #10
Site Supporter

Original Poster
All the lenses are now sold. Thanks for all the interest, sorry for those who missed out. Maybe next time!

The 300 might have been made by Sigma, although I was under the impression that Ricoh made their own lenses. Who knows.