Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
03-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 13 (100%)
Nikon D7000 kit w/18-105mm VR lens, battery grip, and SB-400 flash - PRICE LOWERED!

PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Nikon D7000 kit w/18-105mm VR lens, battery grip, and SB-400 flash

Asking Price
975 USD

Item Location
Indianapolis (United States)

Item Description
Okay, here's a good one for all of you who have given up hope of Sigma ever releasing the 120-300mm f/2.8 in Pentax mount. I recently acquired this Nikon D7000 in a Craigslist trade deal. I'd never used a Nikon DSLR before, but I was impressed with how easy it was to get acclimated to this camera. Within an hour of first shooting with it, I was comfortable operating most of the controls. It's just a really nice camera to work with.

The camera is in very good condition. It was owned by somebody who upgraded to the D3s, and kept the D7000 around for a while as a backup. It has somewhere around 13,000-14,000 actuations, which for this kind of camera really means it's just getting broken-in.

The camera comes with the 18-105mm VR lens, an aftermarket battery grip with a second battery, and a Nikon SB-400 hotshoe flash. This lens really surprised me with how sharp it was, considering that it covers such a broad focal length range. I later read a review of the lens on photozone.de, and they confirmed that the lens is exceptionally sharp for a zoom at pretty much any focal length and aperture. Superzooms aren't my style, but if this lens was offered in Pentax mount, I would seriously consider owning it for a general-purpose / "walk around" lens.

The little SB-400 flash also surprised me with its quality and usefulness. It is light and tiny, powered by two AA batteries, but it puts out a lot of light and recycles quickly. The best part is that its head can swivel up at various angles to bounce off the ceiling. In the sample images below, I've included one picture with the flash aimed forward, and another with the flash aimed up. I wish that Pentax made a nice little flash like that!

Not pictured, but also included, is the battery charger and cables that came with the camera, as well as the lens and body caps, the camera strap, and a small zip-up pouch for the SB-400 flash.

Scroll down for some sample pictures from the camera and lens. I took the camera with me to work a couple days ago and took some pictures while I was driving around, and the rest of the pictures were taken at home the next morning. I really came away impressed with the image quality and performance of the camera.

Sample Images
Click on any of the images to view the original, full-size image. The pictures were all captured in RAW, and developed using Adobe Camera Raw / Photoshop CS6. The typical minor adjustments were applied to taste, such as lifting shadows, bumping contrast, and a slight sharpening. The pictures were all shot with available lighting, except for the last three.

Please note that I tend to underexpose when I shoot, and then increase exposure while developing. This can have the effect of increasing the amount of apparent noise at the given ISO level, so I have indicated on each image how much EV correction was applied. In other words, the ISO 800 photo below with +2.3 EV exposure adjustment is going to look much noiser than a typical ISO 800 image.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
No

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Excellent

Shipping Destinations
Worldwide

Shipping Charge
Free pickup, $15 in US, $50 International

Shipping Services
USPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Check/Money Order

Return Policy & Additional Details
Returns only for item not as described.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 03-29-2013 at 11:02 PM.
03-29-2013, 09:53 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Price lowered. Somebody is tempted by the dark side...

Last edited by Edgar_in_Indy; 03-29-2013 at 10:35 PM.
03-29-2013, 10:55 PM   #3

Feedback Score: 18 (100%)
I am tempted... Looking to trade for Pentax glass?
03-29-2013, 10:59 PM   #4
Pentaxian

Original Poster
QuoteOriginally posted by usmcxm35 Quote
I am tempted... Looking to trade for Pentax glass?
My wife won't like it, but I would say it's a possibility. The next lens I had my eye on is the Sigma 85mm 1.4. What lenses did you have to trade? Is your 77mm on the table?

04-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
The camera has sold locally. Thank you for those who expressed interest.