PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
SMC Pentax F* 300mm F4.5 ED (IF) lens, Serial # 1168341

Asking Price
$1100.00 USD

Item Location
Livingston, Montana (United States)

Item Description
Like New /Excellent condition overall (Lens body is MINT, tripod mount is Excellent w/minor usage marks on base – see photos). Very light and careful use by one (original) owner.

Rare and hard to find. Super sharp. Beautiful bokeh. Superb color and contrast from super-multi-coating and ED extra low dispersion glass. Virtually no CA. Physically solid and smooth, but light and compact. One of the best prime telephoto lenses Pentax ever made (see the reviews in the Pentax lens database).

On a Pentax DSLR, becomes a compact, hand hold able f/4.5 450mm auto focus lens (full frame equivalent). Internal autofocus is fast and accurate. Works great on K10, K20 and K5 bodies. Close focusing. Great for wildlife, birds, nature shots in general. Perfect light weight, compact, pro quality walk around, day hiking and backpacking prime telephoto. Works beautifully in tandem with the Tamron-F 1.4X Pz-AF MC4 telextender (if you have one).

Lens body is mint condition, spotless, like new (see photos). Only the (removable) tripod mount has some small nicks in the base finish (see photos). Glass is mint, flawless. Mechanics and auto-focus are mint, flawless. With original box, owner's manual, warranty card, front and back lens caps. Has built-in, extendable, sliding, locking lens hood, removable tripod mount (see photos).

Hate to sell it, but I need the money.

Buyer pays actual shipping cost, PayPal fee. No fee for using money order, check or Amazon Payments.

See Pentax Forums lens database for specs, reviews.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Like New

Shipping Destinations
United States

Shipping Charge
Actual

Shipping Services
USPS, UPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal Check/Money Order Other (Elaborate)

Return Policy & Additional Details
Buyer pays actual shipping, PayPal fees. Prefer using no fee Amazon Payments. 7 day return policy if not substantially as described. Check or Money Order must fully clear before shipping lens.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Last edited by fliegenfischer; 04-17-2013 at 07:59 AM.
03-27-2013, 01:47 PM   #2
Site Supporter
Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 27 (100%)
PM sent ! :-)
03-27-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 79 (100%)
Wow, just had a brief occasion to use one of these, great lens!
03-27-2013, 01:53 PM   #4
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 200 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by blackcloudbrew Quote
Wow, just had a brief occasion to use one of these, great lens!
Agreed. I used to have one and it's a fantastic lens. Very compact too, for those who haven't seen one in person.

03-27-2013, 02:57 PM   #5
Loyal Site Supporter
Loyal Site Supporter

Feedback Score: 79 (100%)
QuoteOriginally posted by dgaies Quote
Agreed. I used to have one and it's a fantastic lens. Very compact too, for those who haven't seen one in person.
Exactly so on the size. I shot it with both my K5 and Q via the adaptor (>1,500mm equivalent wow).
03-28-2013, 09:05 PM   #6
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 7 (100%)
Original Poster
bump

bump up
03-29-2013, 09:26 AM   #7
unp
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
I recently bought this lens and it gives awesome pictures on my k-x! I think, of all the Pentax 300 f/4 & 4.5 lenses, this is probably the best lens in terms of picture quality. Mine looks old due to cosmetic issues but this one is in great shape which is surprising to me!

03-29-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 19 (100%)
i have it too and love it. that one looks so clean!
03-29-2013, 04:24 PM - 1 Like   #9
Forum Member

Original Poster
Why so clean?

unp and mikeSF

There is a story there.

Way back when, I bought the lens while I was still shooting mostly magazine and corporate assignments. Within months, if not weeks, of purchase, I decided to go all stock photography and signed exclusively with what was then one of the five largest stock photo agencies in the world, FPG International in NYC. In looking through their files I realized what jumped out on light tables (how pictures were looked at back then by commercial users) were medium and large format color transparencies. So, I decided to go all medium and large format with all my commercial stock shooting (Pentax 645 and 67, Fuji 6X17, etc.).

All my 35mm stuff, including this lens, went into my equipment storage cabinets, and stayed there for the next couple decades, until recently. Of course, now I am semi-retired from active commercial stock shooting (after a ten year sabbatical from all commercial shooting while I pursued other ventures), and all my field lenses are now digital zooms, Pentax or Sigma, for ease of transport and versatility in shooting (I am now 66 years old and have been shooting professionally since the early 1970's). Whereas I used to carry a number of primes, with a couple specialized zooms, I find the quality of zooms today, if not quite the speed or quality of the very best primes like the Pentax F* 300 F4.5 (probably the best Pentax ever made), are good enough for what my images are used for (not much anymore), and a hell of a lot easier for an aging fellow to carry around than a bunch of primes.

In total, I would guess this lens has been used no more than a couple dozen times, and always with care, thus the condition.

Hopefully, whoever gets this lens will use it a lot. Its optical quality is second to none and deserves to be used (and taken care of). I may well regret letting it go in the long run, but so be it.

fliegenfischer
03-30-2013, 04:50 AM   #10
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 67 (100%)
PM sent
03-30-2013, 07:15 AM   #11
Forum Member

Original Poster
Lens Sold

Lens has been sold, for $1100.00