PentaxForums.com Marketplace Listing

Item for Sale
Sigma 500mm f/4.5 EX DG APO for Pentax

Asking Price
$4200 USD

Item Location
Long Island NY (United States)

Item Description
I am selling my beloved Sigma 500mm f/4.5 EX DG APO for Pentax. I purchased the lens new in October of 2011 directly from Sigma USA. It is in excellent condition. It is mechanically and optically perfect, and suffers only from a few small paint nicks -- a couple on the rotating collar, more on the bottom of the foot from attaching the lens plate, and paint wear on the edge of the top of the foot from rubbing against me when I carry the lens on a Black Rapid strap. These small paint "scars" should be visible in the accompanying photos. Otherwise the lens looks new. This is because everything on the exterior except the foot collar and foot have always been covered by a custom made lens coat that you can see in one of the photos.

The lens has the USA 5 year warranty and I will provide my original purchase receipt. Sigma warranties are not formally transferable but in my experience with the USA headquarters in seeking service on other Sigma lenses I've owned they've never asked for warranty documentation. In any case, this is a very reliable screw-drive lens that isn't going to need service unless you drop it.

For the price of $4200, the buyer will receive everything that came with the new lens, including the shipping box. I'll also include the lens plate and the custom lens coat.

I'm also offering a package deal for $4550 that includes the two Sigma TCs that are designed for the lens, the Sigma 1.4x DG EX APO Teleconverter and the Sigma 2.0x DG EX APO Teleconverter. I purchased both TCs new, they've been used only a few times, and are in new condition. They come with the boxes, lens cases, caps, and documentation that comes with a new purchase. The Sigma will autofocus with both TCs.

I've got several hundreds of shots online that have been taken with the lens. The following link Birds Of Phoenix Photos by oeriies | Photobucket is the yield from two part days in Phoenix from a couple of months ago. I was shooting handheld and off a monopod with a K-5 classic. The reason I've selected this folder is that I was shooting a bunch of birds that were new to me, I didn't have a lot of time, and I wanted friends and family to see my shots. Thus I think this is a good indication of what the lens produces in everyday use. If you want examples of the very best the lens can do shooting off a tripod let me know. There are many examples here on the forum and everybody who has reviewed the lens gives it incredibly high scores.

Why am I selling? I ran across an incredible local deal on a Nikon 500mm f4/g VR, which pushed me over the edge to purchase a Nikon d7100 body that I'll devote exclusively to the Nikon long glass. I'm sticking with Pentax for everything in the wide to short telephoto range. I'm not sure if this was the right decision -- the Nikon 500mm is a little sharper and faster than the Sigma but the Sigma is almost two lbs lighter. In any case, I bought the Nikon and need to sell the Sigma.

PM me if you're interested.

Are you the original owner of the item being sold?
Yes

Are you selling or trading this item?
Selling

Item Condition (Key)
Used
Like New

Shipping Destinations
Continental U.S. Only

Shipping Charge
$25

Shipping Services
USPS, UPS

Accepted Payment Types
PayPal

Return Policy & Additional Details
Return accepted with full refund if item is not as described and documentation to that effect is provided. Purchaser pays return shipping costs.

Please send me a private message if interested in the item!

Attached Images

04-09-2013, 05:02 PM   #2
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
Great lens for a K5. I love mine. Hope your Nikon works out.

Thanks for the link to your photos - I see you have done the lens justice
04-09-2013, 07:01 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 21 (100%)
Fantastic lens, good luck with your sale..
04-09-2013, 07:54 PM   #4
Marketplace Reseller

Feedback Score: 271 (100%)
Great lens, sorry to see someone sell it, good luck on the sale

04-09-2013, 08:40 PM   #5
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 45 (100%)
Sigh... Some day
04-10-2013, 03:32 AM   #6
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
DROOOOOOOOOLLLLLLL.ahhhhhhhhhgggggggg.

Too poor, Hope it goes to a fine home.
04-10-2013, 06:20 AM   #7
Inactive Account

Feedback Score: 8 (100%)
Original Poster
Thanks for the comments everyone. So far lots of interest in the lens from people who either have it and love it or want it but can't afford it. I'm hoping there's a third group out there -- want it and will sell one of their kidneys to raise the funds to buy it. I'll leave it listed here through early next week and then put it on eBay.

Russ
04-10-2013, 09:35 AM   #8
Veteran Member

Feedback Score: 45 (100%)
What is your ebay handle