Forgot Password
Pentax Camera Forums Home

Show Printable Version Search this Thread
04-24-2013, 09:42 PM   #1
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 70 (100%)
Two 1:1 macro lenses Kino vs Komine: Vivitar Series 1 105/2.5 & Elicar 90/2.5

Selling two awesome 1:1 macro lenses. Payment is to be via PayPal, and it must be shipped to your registered PayPal address. I can make other arrangements for people with good feedback and forum track record. USA buyer preferred -- international shipping a possibility, but I reserve the right to refuse service to anybody, as they say. Denver locals are welcome to inspect lenses in-person and pay cash (and avoid shipping charge). Prices firm for now. PM me if interested or have questions!

Vivitar Series 1 105/2.5 manual focus 1:1 macro, 'A' version. $210 + $15
shipping/insurance to U.S. destinations. (Inquire about international, but it will be significantly more.)

Legendary lens made by Kino/Kiron that was available under several names other than this: Lester Dine, Rikenon, etc. I believe it is really a f/2.8 lens -- they liked to play games with these to make the different versions seem like they were actually different (they weren't). I think this will show as f/2.4 on your display rather than f/2.5. Has 'A' contacts, so you don't need to use green-button metering, get multi-segment metering, can use all camera modes, easy flash exposures, etc.

This lens is very well-known, not much to say other than to compare it to the other lens I've got for sale. They are both heavy, but the Viv is a bit heavier than the Elicar (but handles a little better anyway), is a bit sharper wide-open I think, but also more prone to purple-fringing at wide apertures. But both lenses are sharp at all apertures, and both are wickedly sharp at f/5.6 and up. This copy has flawless glass and works perfectly. Focus smooth and uniform -- huge throw as you can see. Some internal dust, but won't affect IQ. Has some minor wear all-around, mostly on the rubber grip and edge of slide-out hood, and has one surface ding on one of the the metal rings (see upright photo of rear -- just to left of "P/K-A" -- looks like it banged into something). This is only cosmetic -- this thing is all metal and super-solid. Lens cap kinda marked up.

One other issue that really isn't an issue -- I notice that the first couple of clicks (half-stops) of the aperture moving from wide-open, the aperture hole looks ever so slightly off-center/uneven. (Once you get to the half-stop between f/4 and f/5.6, it looks normal.) This has no effect on the image, but I was a bit worried about it and had the repair guy open it up and look at it and he's assured me the aperture blades are all seated correctly and something is just a hair off. We decided since it works fine, it was best not to touch it. (If I wasn't inspecting closely so I could sell it, I probably would not have noticed it.)

Hood extended.

See ding left of P/K-A

Full extension (1:1 setting) incl/ hood extended

Elicar V-HQ 90/2.5 manual focus 1:1 macro, 'A' version (dental markings) $180 + $15
shipping/insurance to U.S. destinations. (Inquire about international, but it will be significantly more.)

This one was made by Komine, and also came under many names, including Vivitar, Panagor, and several others. This lens is often attributed to Kino/Kiron for some reason, but it is Komine. (BTW, the Vivitar version is NOT the Viv Series 1 90, but a different one.) Again, pretty sure they are playing games with the max aperture and this is probably really an f/2.8. This version with 'A' contacts seems to be fairly rare (and adds to the asking price somewhat).

There are reviews of various flavors of this lens under several different headings on this forum (including one with built-in ring flash). All the same lens at heart:

Vivitar 90mm f2.8 Macro Lens Reviews - Vivitar Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Panagor 90mm f2.8 Macro PMC Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Admiral/Panagor 90mm Macro Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Elicar Super Macro V-HQ 1.25:1 / 90mm F2.5 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database
Elicar V-HQ Medical Macro MC 90mm f/2.5 Lens Reviews - Miscellaneous Lenses - Pentax Lens Review Database

I think the Elicar brand was reserved for marketing for medical & dental use. This one has dental markings along with the magnification ratios, although apparently the dentist didn't agree as he wrote a couple of alternative points on the scale for lateral and anterior dental views! This one does not include hood (as pictured in the review of the white medical version), and the front element is recessed, but not a bad idea to get one anyway.

Although not as hyped as the 105, this is one awesome lens as well. I don't think there is anything between them optically once stopped down to f/5.6 or more. As mentioned above, I think the Viv 105 is just a tad sharper wide-open, but also tends to purple fringe some at wide apertures. This one is still quite sharp open but without the fringing, at least in my tests. (I'm sure you can get it to fringe some if you're really trying!)

Glass is perfect, everything works as it should. Focus is smooth, but more dampened than the Vivitar and a huge throw as all 1:1 macros have. Internal dust very minor, a few specks. One odd thing is that the 'A' position has no button lock -- never seen that before. So there is the possibility of bumping it off 'A' in your bag, etc. Also the 'A' pin actually retracts when taking it off 'A' position. It does have a "Ricoh button", but it is a spring-loaded button (which also retracts with the 'A' pin) and so causes no problems mounting on modern Pentax models. Cosmetically, it is in beautiful shape, very little wear. It does have those markings made by the dentist on the macro scale. Some cleaning marks around front rim -- they are much less noticeable in real life than in the picture and they may wipe off, haven't tried. (The face plate is NOT missing -- it never had one although some versions of this lens do. This one has all the usual info on the top of the focus ring.)

Like the Viv, this is all-metal, built like a tank. Comes with generic rear cap, but no front cap. I'll put on a cheap UV filter as lens cap.

Last edited by vonBaloney; 04-24-2013 at 11:16 PM.
04-24-2013, 10:20 PM   #2
Forum Member

Feedback Score: 1 (100%)
I'm interested on the Vivitar.
PM sent

Enviado con Xperia Neo V usando Tapatalk2
04-24-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 16 (100%)
Send you PM about that elicar.
04-25-2013, 12:19 AM   #4

Feedback Score: 5 (100%)
Send you PM about that elicar if not taken by upstaris.

04-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #5
Pentaxian

Original Poster
PMs received and replied. Vivitar still available, Elicar maybe/maybe not.

Last edited by vonBaloney; 04-25-2013 at 09:15 AM.
04-25-2013, 11:24 AM   #6

waiting for elicar……
04-25-2013, 01:31 PM   #7
Pentaxian

Feedback Score: 16 (100%)
I replied to your PM! Sorry for delay!

04-25-2013, 05:09 PM   #8

Feedback Score: 0 (0%)
PM sent on the Series 1 lens.

Last edited by dboeren; 04-25-2013 at 05:15 PM.
04-25-2013, 06:34 PM   #9
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Sale pending on both...
04-25-2013, 06:46 PM   #10

Hi , I would like take elicar, please pm paypal account and total amount. thanks.
04-26-2013, 12:15 PM   #11
Pentaxian

Original Poster
Both sold.